What's new

Charnley Forest show off your Charnwood

So I don't know if it has anything to due with the relative hardness of the stones, but my last two quickly got rid of any lapping scarring by using botan slurry with aheavy blade. Saved me lots of time. I even ran a botan toishi over this one. It didn't even raise any slurry and stuck to the stone really strong.

David I knew i had seen it before. Which was why I wanted to try it. It is in grinding and honing part 3.

Both types can be used with a small rub
stone from the same material to accelerate the grinding,
which is quite slow. Due to the slurry a dull cutting edge
results. Make the last strokes with plain water, which then
ensures a polished edge.

Is slurry on a charn a common practice? I've never owned one so I'm clueless about them.

I gave in and bought another. This one is massive. It's low in the corners vs dished so I quickly polished the center to see what kind of surface it will take. It seems promising, I could never see the cfm coil so sharply in the others I have had.
20170223_132220.jpg
20170223_124156.jpg
20170223_124153.jpg
20170223_134849.jpg

Attachments

• 20170223_134615.jpg
    20170223_134615.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
How is the weight? Mine is nowhere near flat, I just cleaned the muck and made a flat pond in the middle to see how much it should come up.

Paid $79.50 all in which is very cheap for a charnley lately. Russians are cranking them to 110-150usd before shipping lately quite reliably. Bad description, bad pics, and global shipping program shipping drove this one well down. My lowball bid held

I'm hopeful here. The last rectangle I had made a serviceable albeit not spectacular edge that was confortable and it was nowhere near as dense. This also doesn't have much red and no pinny weirdness.

This one may have enough go to get the job done. Took a used edge on a wiss for 150 laps on the thing stropped it and went atg dry and it didn't stop and I don't feel any irritation. Popping hair ok. My hair is generally a PITA to hht well. I think if this is a miss it isn't going to be a miss by much. My chin atg will be the real lie detector.
20170224_001331.jpg

This one may have enough go to get the job done. Took a used edge on a wiss for 150 laps on the thing stropped it and went atg dry and it didn't stop and I don't feel any irritation. Popping hair ok. My hair is generally a PITA to hht well. I think if this is a miss it isn't going to be a miss by much. My chin atg will be the real lie detector.View attachment 764008

Great to hear. Sounds like you got a winner and nice looker too. I just started using glycerin water mix on mine with great results. I am not sure it is much different than the soap water mix since I think it is the glycerin in the soap anyhow. It seems to give a bit more control on the consistency though without any bubbles, plus I needed the glycerin for my homemade Aftershave anyhow.

Went to 2000 and slurried a la verte on it. This one was no game to lap and it was barely out... Slurry on this one during lap wasn't pink.

How is the weight? Mine is nowhere near flat, I just cleaned the muck and made a flat pond in the middle to see how much it should come up.

It's the stone I got from the lots that went up in december (The UK seller put up 5 lots for about $100 each, with 1-3 charnleys, most had a coti, and more random natural stones, I bought the best one and figured I'd sleep on whether or not to buy the rest, and they were gone before I woke up... got a pure coti stone, this charn, and a huge turkey stone, plus a couple random sandstones).

9 3/8"
x
2 5/16"
x
15/16"

Tapered downward (like charnleys often are), and one corner slightly clipped, so overall size is slightly less than a perfect rectangle.

2lb 0.7oz
Almost your stones twin to looks. Same blush and veins, but one fatter red strip dead center instead of the two thinner ones top and bottom. May not be the hardest Charnley I've got, but by FAR the hardest in this size. Charnleys are usually easy to lap because the big ones are usually softer. This one was a bear because of the hardness + surface area. I took it to 220 and then ran it a bit on some 600 w/d, but it's still far from polished. Should be good to try a razor on though, when I find the time.

This one has zippy audio feedback and is beyond slow. I am going to finish a wester on it either tonight or tomorrow as I want a blade with no smile for this test run.

220 just made off white slurry and nothing moved. Every other one abraded on fixed grits ok. It took 70 min on sic. I have lappin' shoulder. This better be good because it was misery

Top Bottom