What's new

Charnley Forest show off your Charnwood

Just for future reference you can gouge a charnley as well. It's nothing like an ark in that way. Or feel really. It's a much more alive feeling hone. I jist haven't had a finisher grade one yet. Pretty spectacular knife hone though

Last edited:
Yeah CF's are easy to gouge compared to an ark. Like a very soft washita or a hardish sandstone in that respect.

Grecian was a label for a stone most people think was a variation of Lynn Idwal. As such, when stones show up like the ones that bore the Grecian label, people call them both Lynn Idwal and Grecian. But there are also Lynn Idwals that don't really look much like the Grecians. It's confusing.

OK since we don't have a definitive answer lets go with which suitable stones are green, Semi hard and layered?
Gotta start somewhere.

$image.jpg$image.jpg

This showed up today. Feels a little different than my others.
Got this one rather cheap and looks interesting. Has a line near the bottom edge
on the under cut end and one side of the line is higher than the other. Always wanted
one of these with a matching slurry stone to try out. I may cut the bottom inch off this one.

Thanks David. This one looks interesting. The sides need chamfered yet wonder it the Atoma 600 can handle that.

Stone is looking better. Used carbide hacksaw blade cut that end off. Only issue was the resulting slurry stone fell off at each line. So I had to glue all six back into one. Once it dries I will lap it and see. So it is 6" x 2 1/2" x 3/4" thick now.

Ok finished.:001_smile Either this is a good hard Charnley or using a slurry stone on a Charnley is like using a Les Lat coticule.
takes forever to get the lightest slurry. Still need to play with it to see what it can do.

$image.jpg $image.jpg $image.jpg $image.jpg

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Is slurry on a charn a common practice? I've never owned one so I'm clueless about them.

I don't think it is common, but have seen a few others do it and wanted to give it a try. I think most use oil too, but I have found great results with water and water/soap. I also got nice results using mikawa shiro nagura and tomo naguras. Plus they seem to really bring up the finish on the stone quickly. My thinking is as long as the stones are hard enough and not having any larger particles in the slurry it is alot like using slurry on a les lat, but won't know till I try. Then dilute and finish on water/soap.

David tell ya what. Let me play with this one for a bit and if you want to borrow it for a bit just let me know.

Is slurry on a charn a common practice? I've never owned one so I'm clueless about them.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
David tell ya what. Let me play with this one for a bit and if you want to borrow it for a bit just let me know.
Thanks, Tom! That's very kind of you. My house is pending for sale at the moment so I may have a move in my near future but after I get settled in at the new house I'll definitely take you up on that!

Ok. Did you finally build your house of coticules.:lol:

Thanks, Tom! That's very kind of you. My house is pending for sale at the moment so I may have a move in my near future but after I get settled in at the new house I'll definitely take you up on that!

Shave was very nice. Took an old easy cutter that I had gotten really sharp. The more I try the slurry stone the harder it gets. It seems to be bringing up the finish on the stone and the slurry stone. Slurry took a long time and was hard to see. Gave a granular feeling though so I know it was there. 50 laps and razor was alot duller. Wiped blade black so it is cutting. Checked under loop all looks good. 50 more laps and edge is coming back. Rinsed stone 100 laps just water. 100 laps water/soap. 20/50 hemp/buffalo. Nice close shave couldn't really even feel the razor.

Yeah, if there were lapping scars on the charnley; that'll happen. When I take my charns (much softer than this one, but still hard); after flattening on 60grit... they actually pull up slurry (just with use) fairly easily at first. Then as the scars wear down, that slows way down. The last little bit of the scarring takes a loooong time (hours with knives) of work to fully polish out; but until it's gone, the stone would be relatively easy to slurry compared to a well-used stone.

Top Bottom