What's new

Changes in skin after switching from Cartridges to Old School Shaving.

Just trying to get a few views to see if Im correct on this or mistaken.

I switched from disposables to old school maybe 2-3 years back. Since then I have noticed that my beard growth has become tougher, skin a bit rougher (no outbreaks or rashes)….face just feels a lot rougher maybe 8 hours after shaving.

When I used cartridges, it was a lot smoother.

Anyone noticed this or is it all in my head?

I don't believe that my face itself changed much between cartridge, electric, and DE shaving - other than the immediate aftereffects. (electric pulling/tearing, cartridges slice and dice, razor burn from overenthusiastic DE shaving, or the wrong blade/soap)

I have shaved with a DE since day one (back in 1980) so I have the opposite experience.

I shave with a cartridge or a disposable every once in a while when I am traveling and my skin remains well...unchanged :001_smile

I do notice though that the shaves aren't as close as the ones with the DE because of the limited blade exposure modern razors have thus my face feels rougher after 8-10 hours of shaving than with a DE shave.

+1 on this.

I've actually found in my particular case the opposite to be true with respect to skin quality, and I attribute much of that to increased use of post-shave skin care products.
This was my first thought that post shave skin products can make a difference and OP didn't say what his routine was.........or age. I haven't noticed any difference myself.

I've always been a DE/SE shaver, But when trying Carts I got skin irritation, ingrown hairs and razor bumps, even though I used the same prep and soap as when using DE razors. I've tried carts from 2 to 5 blades, always the same effect. Tried the canned soap and gel - no help. If they ever come out with a 7 blade cart, I'll pass on trying it.
It's probably my technique with carts, that I never really learned how to use one and i'm just using them wrong but I'll just stay with my DE/SE shaving from now on.

I can't speak for myself because I'm in my 40's and have done this since my teenage years but I can speak for my wife and son who I recently converted. My wife's legs have never been smoother and her never ending issues with ingrown hairs is all but gone. My 17 yr old who's oily somewhat acne prone face has cleared and become very smooth and baby like as opposed to the previous from what he considered to be a cool Mach 3 shave. The biggest difference is the fact that my wife goes 3 days in between shaves where before she could have started over after she was done,,,not to mention money saved.

I've used electrics for years because carts bothered me so much. My wife definitely approves of the transition. Not only am I smoother throughout the day, she says my skin looks better. Part of that is probably do to the prep and after-shave routine and products.

I honestly don't recall how my face felt when using cartridge razors versus DE and SE razors even though I made the switch two years ago.

After switching back to DE my skin improved considerably! No more ingrown hairs and my skin appreciates the exfoliation with face-lathering! YMMV, of course!

My skin is in much better condition since switching to DE wetshaving.
I have noticed that different razors make the stubble feel different as it grows back. Probably due to the angle the hair is cut?

My skin is less irritated and much softer & hydrated since switching, but I'm 100% certain it's from using quality products and not the razor, mainly because I never get irritated when I revisit my cart.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Just trying to get a few views to see if Im correct on this or mistaken.

I switched from disposables to old school maybe 2-3 years back. Since then I have noticed that my beard growth has become tougher, skin a bit rougher (no outbreaks or rashes)….face just feels a lot rougher maybe 8 hours after shaving.

When I used cartridges, it was a lot smoother.

Anyone noticed this or is it all in my head?
I did and I found I needed to moisturize more. I don't know if it was technique related or the use of alum or alcohol splashes that was drying me out. If you're whiskers are more coarse, they are probably dry.

I ,personally, went from cold water to hot and no alcohol AS to alcohol. I did well in the summer but once fall hit, yeow! Now, I'm working on cutting out the alcohol and using lukewarm water. U am aldi using Curel on my face at night during winter.

Kindly,
Adam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I use pretty good creams and after shave products so hydration/moisturisation isn't a problem

Don't get me wrong….its not like my skin's deteriorated….it's fine.

Just that my stubble growth feels a lot rougher than it used to be when I was using cartridges.

I use pretty good creams and after shave products so hydration/moisturisation isn't a problem

Don't get me wrong….its not like my skin's deteriorated….it's fine.

Just that my stubble growth feels a lot rougher than it used to be when I was using cartridges.
That's because of the way the razor cuts the hairs versus how a cart essentially mangles the hairs. The ones that have been cleanly sheared feel sharper when they grow back in. There are electronic microscopic images showing the difference in the cut hairs and it's pretty impressive.

+1 @kingfisher

In fact, the 'roughness' of the stubble will be magnified by the angle of the cut. When you pull down, you end up with a angled slice. When you then rub your hand upwards, you're now pushing into the 'point' of the slide, rather than along the angle. With a cartridge, the hair is pulled and sliced, then the next blade might catch a bit of it and whack the tip off of the hair at a different angle, and so forth.

I hadn't even thought about that, I was thinking about the feel of the skin itself.

Overall my skin condition is better but I think it's the combination of better shaving equipment and also using much better products overall.

Top Bottom