What's new

Chain mail scrubber?

It may be time to get m
What kind and gauge of wire is that?
What diameter rings?
And I'm guessing you used bolt cutters instead of aviation shears?
You're correct about the bolt cutters.
The hexagon uses 18 gauge stainless steel with the outer diameter of about 7.23mm.
The square uses 20 gauge stainless steel with the outer diameter of about 5.65mm. There's nearly 1000 rings in this one.
Now I need to locate my 20 gauge wire because I can't remember for the life of me where I put it.

I tried making chain mail once but it was way too time consuming. I chucked a rod in a drill and wound the wire around that then cut it with a small bolt cutter that I got from Harbor Freight. I only made a small rectangle before I lost interest. It might work for a pot scrubber, but since I used galvanized wire I don't think its a good idea. I know people who made their own medieval style mail armor. They have way more patience than me.

I tried making chain mail once but it was way too time consuming. I chucked a rod in a drill and wound the wire around that then cut it with a small bolt cutter that I got from Harbor Freight. I only made a small rectangle before I lost interest. It might work for a pot scrubber, but since I used galvanized wire I don't think its a good idea. I know people who made their own medieval style mail armor. They have way more patience than me.
Chainmail is very time consuming and depending on what you're trying to make, quite frustrating. I used to do it just to zone out and relax. Now I turn stuff on my lathe to relax.

For anyone interested in trying their hand at making their own, I'd suggest buying the rings already formed and cut:
theringlord.com

I had meant to make myself a square out of rings I have left hanging around form other projects. I'll have to see if I can find my supplies and give it a go. I haven't worked with that stuff in a long time now.

For anyone interested in trying their hand at making their own, I'd suggest buying the rings already formed and cut:
theringlord.com

I had meant to make myself a square out of rings I have left hanging around form other projects. I'll have to see if I can find my supplies and give it a go. I haven't worked with that stuff in a long time now.
+1
They're the best source for materials to make chainmail if you're not into making your own rings. I've ordered from them a couple of times.

Top Bottom