What's new

Cary Grant's shaving kit

Looks like an actual at-home or in the dressing room photo. Only films I can remember him shaving in were "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House," and "North by Northwest." That is unless you want to count the electric he used in the early minutes of "His Girl Friday."

A kit like that is one that your "man" packs for you pre-voyage. Then lays out once you're away from the dock, in your stateroom, along with your dinner jacket.

Mine looks a lot like that one, except it's smaller...and vinyl....and has a nylon zipper....but no compartments...and not as much stuff in it.

A kit like that is one that your "man" packs for you pre-voyage. Then lays out once you're away from the dock, in your stateroom, along with your dinner jacket.

Mine looks a lot like that one, except it's smaller...and vinyl....and has a nylon zipper....but no compartments...and not as much stuff in it.

Also not included are "the man", the voyage, dock, stateroom and sadly, dinner jacket. I have your kit.

I'll never forget Grant being chased by the biplane in North by Northwest. Classic scene. Hitchcock proved you can build suspense without any music.

One of my favorite lines:

[to The Professor] Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.

They don't write them like they used to. Thanks for sharing.

He can dance too...

Yes, he could dance. He started his career as an acrobat. It's a surprise to see just how good he is with slapstick unless one knows the man was an acrobat.

There are a couple of scenes in The Awful Truth in which he does hilarious stuff, he does a jiu jitsu fight with an asian doorman/martial arts guy, and a minute later he accidently demolishes a piece of furniture. Charlie Chaplin couldn't do better.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
A company named "Shortrip" out of New York used to make them.
Very handy kits.
Shortrip used to make them under their own name, and also under brand name for Saks 5th Ave.
You can sometimes find them under the name "Saks"

Random thoughts:

1. I "need" one of those travel kits. I wonder if I can get one to match my steamer trunks?
  2. My mother remembered Cary Grant from when he was a stilt walker in Coney Island
  3. ... Don't know who Cary Grant is? ... Why do I feel so old all of a sudden?

it would be interesting to know if tmurzz knows of Marilyn Monroe ? tmurzz , I'm old enough to be your grandfather and I know who Kurt Cobain was - you need to stretch your knowledge base .

Considering what the man did for a living I'd be willing to bet it's more his makeup kit then a shaving kit. Very cool never the less.

Looks like an actual at-home or in the dressing room photo. Only films I can remember him shaving in were "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House," and "North by Northwest." That is unless you want to count the electric he used in the early minutes of "His Girl Friday."

Missed this post. I still want my montage.

Top Bottom