What's new

Caring for an older dog, navigating the vet

My dog's getting a little along. She's a 12 yr old Australian Shepherd. Now don't get me wrong, she still gets out and gets after it, romping like a puppy through streams and woods etc. I love this dog more than I love just about anybody else, but I need some advice navigating her older age, and some of the medical bills that come along with it.

I have a bit of a cynical view of mainstream veterinary practice, by which I mean this: veterinarians are great, and I'm glad to have had some good ones over the years. However, I understand their business model to be based entirely on up-selling services. The $60 just to see my pet doesn't really pay the bills, it's running a battery of tests. Now, the vet that I go to now in Chicago is INCREDIBLY clean and friendly and professional, but I can't help but feel when we've gone there that they're constantly suggesting all these things my dog should get done just in case. And when I'm a bit squeamish about dropping $500 for this or that, I feel like I get the "You do love your dog, don't you?" sort of guilt, like I shouldn't dare take any chance with her.

Now is where I'd like the B&B community's opinion...just what does an aged dog need when she goes to the vet? Her standard vaccines, as she's out and about, I understand. But does she need a parasite screen every year? Wouldn't that be something to wait until she manifests some kind of symptoms? A heartworm screening every year, even though she's taken heartworm medication since her last visit? Or X-rays.....for some reason?

I need help drawing the line on what kind of expensive tests/measures are actually warranted in a pretty darn healthy but pretty old dog, and if I'm really a scum bag for not wanting to feel taken advantage of for things that don't seem necessary. Love to hear fro folks who have gone through the same.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My last dog's vet was famous, and was considered the father of the walletectomy.

I go though the same thing with my dogs , I have ever a 12 year old yellow lab with a tumor attached to his spleen , the vet offered surgery but I told them I will make the last part of his life as comfortable and filled with love as I can . I have paid a few vet bills into the thousands without flinching in the past , with an older dog , it is not fair to them to put them through surgeries that will probably not expand quality of life for them . Vets do operate a business, and they should provide options , but I find they usually understand . I have seen many instances with the medical community pushing people into treatment with a bleak or hopeless outcome as well.

There are good vets out there. The one's that treat for what they should. I have no idea what the pool of vets are in your area so I won't comment on that. The answer to your question is not a simple one and it is definitely not one that can be answered with a yes or a no. You do the things that you think are medically necessary and that you are willing to pay for. I have three dogs right now. One is 11 years, another will be nine in a couple of months, and the other one is two. The two older ones have been very expensive over the past 12 months. My oldest girl has Cushing's Disease and requires daily medication that costs about $75.00 a month plus blood tests twice a year that cost much more. My guy that is almost nine years old hurt his back about 8 months ago (non use of his hind legs) and we really thought we were going to have to put him down. The surgery (about $3500.00) was not an option for us at the time, but we were able to get him Acupuncture treatment...yes that is right...Acupuncture...and now he is running around, a little stiff, but full functioning of his back legs. That wasn't cheap either (about $125.00 per session x 10 sessions), but in our minds was worth it.

If you think you can give your pet a good quality of life without whatever treatment is recommended then go for it. I know a lot of people forgo the annual vaccines as their dog gets older. I'm not there yet but who knows. I live in Louisiana where mosquitos are bad year round so heart worm tests for us are necessary. I will say that no matter how old your pet is...I think heart worm prevention of some sort is mandatory. That is a miserable way for a pet to go.

I hope this helps and good luck...

Oh, by the way, don't ever feel guilty for getting your pet care. Just by going to the vet you are already in the top 10% of pet owners. There are more people than you can believe that NEVER go to the Vet. Good Luck.

I feel your pain. About 8 months ago, we thought we were going to lose our beloved Jazz (15 yo mutt) because he had stopped eating(lost 30 lbs.), couldn't control bodily functions, back legs not working properly, and was totally listless.

After spending $1000+ on tests, xrays, medications, and vet visits(emergency and regular), the main diagnosis was that he was old and developing arthritis as if we already didn't know that.

Now of course, just to be sure, they wanted to also do cat scans and a MRI. I was sure at that point, we all were going home.

Once home, we put him on a diet of roast chicken( the ones you buy at Sam's Club) and cooked rice. This was suggested to us by several other dog owners. The change in diet seemed to help him get his strength back somewhat. The arthritis medication appeared to help also. Jazz remained on this diet for a month before returning to his regular kibble.

He just turned 16 this week, has adjusted well to our move to a new home and while walking funny up and down the stairs, still does so. Only regular visits since.

Talk to those in the dog community, find out what they did, and go from there. If your dog gets sicker than you can handle, then take him to the vet, ask questions, find out all the options, and make the decision you feel most comfortable with.

marty

I worked in different vet clinics for about 5 years. Prices do vary between clinics don't be afraid to shop around.
Our clinic I worked at had spays for felines at like $180, I found an animal birth control clinic that did it for $40. They still charged me full price if I had it done at the clinic I worked at, even if I did some of the work.

for financing emergencies, some places take care credit, basically its a low interest rate credit card for health care.
but for routine stuff that you know you need, go in and ask for the specific vaccines and see if they charge an exam fee. Some places, if the tech does the shots then they wont charge an exam fee unless the veterinarian does the shots. There is only like 5 vaccines that dogs need. Also get the rabies regardless if you choose the other 4, it should only be around $10-25 at most.
If you need a fecal test because you rent your house or the vet recommends an annual screen, just bring the fresh poop in without the dog. Now your bill is only like $15 for the fecal instead of $75 (fecal +exam)
in the event something bad happens, be upfront and ask the vet how much this is going to cost, if your dog is terminal, euthanasia may be more humane and it will be cheaper. I told my cats their limit is $500, and the vet may recommend treatments that fall within your budget that has your dogs best interest in mind.

I love our 14 year old cockapoo. Not very manly, but like all dogs, how can you not like him?

However, at the end of the day, he's a dog and not a human. I would never do dialysis or have cancer surgery on a pet. Mostly for the cost, but also to not put the animal through such pain where they can't understand a possible long term benefit.

I think the vets are coming from a perspective of loving animals and thus they want to offer any and all preventative and restorative services that they can. Like any of us who strive to do the best we can at our jobs, they do as well.

Also, more sophisticated services are definitely higher margin for the vet and at the end of the day, he/she is a business person who is out to maximize their family income, just like all the rest of us.

So, like any consumer good or product, consider the sales pitch and the price for any vet service and then decide if the process or result is worth the price. If it is, go for it and if it is not, you can always decline.

YMMV.

I have two dogs and live 2 miles from one of the best vet schools (and associated hospital) in the country. I am very lucky.

I'll never run out of astrophysicists either. lol

I've had cats, not dogs, but in general I'd say that unless the vet can explain the necessity of a procedure (which should not need much explaining) or how it can save you money in the long run if a test catches something now I'd pass on what they are offering. My vet has wanted to test for something or other that a cat my age can get in the next couple of years. What can testing now do for a possible future condition? I said no to this since the test cannot prevent whatever the heck it was.

It is a business. That is why they are adding things like dentistry, expensive foods (which they guilt trip you if you don't buy).

Just watch - it won't be long until they offer cosmetic surgery for the critters.

I'd say don't feel bad about saying no to the vet on some things. You wouldn't feel bad about turning down the undercoating on a new car (I hope). And in either case it is just an up sell.

Having been to those kind of offices, I'd look for another vet. Our dog is 12 and we use a vet for many years that does not over test or treat. We've taken him to other vets that want to do all the x-rays and tests, then we go to him and it's no big deal. Won't even look at the x-rays the other ones took. Usually says " I've seen a dog pass a sewing needle".

We don't do yearly heartworm screenings either but heartworm is not common in my area. It might be different in other regions. We do have to have an office visit once a year for him to refill the prescription, though, but I think that's a legal requirement.

We were out of town when our last dog, a lab mix started going down fast. She had in the past had a lot of problems, most related to an dispute with a moving UPS truck, resulting in a broken leg. We had that fixed then a few more surgeries to improve motility, most of which worked. At this point she was 12-13 years old and literally could not stand up to walk. The vet said initially it would take a lot of lab tests and x rays to see what was going on. My wife and I both having medical backgrounds, nurse and pharmacist understood that. The vet also said that he did not think anything would stop the progression of her decline, so we made the decision to have her put down. This vet would not accept any payment for the service, even offering to dispose of the body although my wife wanted her cremated so we could take her home.
We decided on no more pets, because of the trouble if we want to travel, and medical care for pets had gotten to the point where it was almost as expensive as for us. We miss having a dog, but not some of the problems, like going shopping which generally has to be in a town about 40 miles away, and having to hurry to get back to let the dog out. Another thing our last few dogs were larger and I had to get them in and out of the car or truck, I am getting older , 71 and that was becoming a problem for me. The last dog could not even get into a low slung Mercury sedan, and I had to pick her up, at about 70 lbs and don't miss that.

I live in the metro NY area so, as you can guess, vets are not cheap. About a year ago my Goldendoodle (then 13) lost all of his energy/ambition and would lie still to the point where you had to shake him awake. This is a dog that walks 2-3 miles a day and leaps around like a puppy when someone comes into the house. I thought that he was on his way out. Took him to the vet who did a battery of blood tests and determined that his thyroid was off. A day or two on the medication and the puppy was back. Don't remember what it cost, but it was certainly worth it. Bottom line is that I don't know how to answer the question. I guess that the determining factor would be quality of life, much the same way that I view life. I don't think that my vet over tests or treats, but understand that as with doctors they are taught to use all that is available. I have watched her with my dog and feel that her empathy is real and that makes me comfortable.

I feel your pain, OP. I have had many similar experiences both as to "routine" care and more drastic care for older, as it turned out, end-of-their-days pets. We have spent plenty on vets and have from time to time have turned down proffered services when they made no sense to us, such as bringing a dying cat's feline leukemia shots up to date. It is a buyer beware situation as well as a situation where there are often no clear-cut answers. I cannot say that I regret the money we spent on pets where it turned out the expenditure did not actually help, but I am glad we could afford it.

Top Bottom