What's new

CAR Shavemaster Update 12/29/05 *large pics*

My guess is maybe Kent is one of the "three fingers". Vulfix/Simpson obvisously. Beats me as to the third, but I'd guess Plisson. Definitely not Rooney, since Gary mentioned somewhere that he believes them to be made in China.

Kent could be the fifth finger on the hand....

Exactly on 4 fingers and a thumb...:
Vulfix(Simpsons), Plisson, Rooney, Bernd Blos, Lee Sabini...

I guess I need two extra fingers.... Kent!:thumbup: Semogue!:thumbup:(not taking this discussion into boars here, the 2010LE is the reference... My only example. Does one brush qualify them as a "great" brush maker? It does to me.)

Ken

Like I said, it would cause to much debate.
We all have our own preferred list for our own reasons. There will always be cases for and against when individual likes/dislikes are taken into account. Time to move on....

Gary

Not quite, Gary. You have an intimate connection with the Simpsons brand of brushes, and for that reason we welcome and respect your thoughts, insights, and opinions on these brushes. I'm not sure what your relationship to the current owners of the Simpsons brand is. But when it comes to your opinions on other brush companies or brush makers, it can only be biased. I think the gentlemanly thing for you to do here at B&B is to refrain from criticism of other brush companies/makers but please continue giving insights and opinions on the Simpsons line. This "list on three fingers" is implicit criticism.

Regarding one of your earlier posts in this thread, Alexander Simpson had to start making brushes at some point, and wouldn't any one of us on this forum like to be the owner of one of his first brushes? Competition and innovation serve the customer's best interest in the long run, even if we have to sort through some rubbish on the way. And sometimes a new guy comes along and truly makes a better product AND can provide superior customer service. Now, let's move on.

Andrew

Last edited:
Then once again my connection with Simpson has proved to go against me!

It's not that, Gary. And please don't take it that way!

No one minds you shouting to the rafters that you think Simpson's are the best brushes ever made, period. Many here would agree with you!

The comments refer to 'and brand X sucks' comments (strength added for emphasis). Comments like 'I tried a brand X model Y and it shed on me' or 'brand X knots say they are hand tied but when I disassembled one, it looks machine made to me' may be negative but they are specific observations of a specific brush. Vague implications are just FUD makers.

Does that make sense?

Ken

ItJaw: I notice you are from Austin, TX, home of CAR and enchanteonline. You wouldn't have a personal interest in that company would you, which would explain your ill-tempered and ungentlemanly comments toward Mr. Young and Simpson brushes.

ItJaw: I notice you are from Austin, TX, home of CAR and enchanteonline. You wouldn't have a personal interest in that company would you, which would explain your ill-tempered and ungentlemanly comments toward Mr. Young and Simpson brushes.

Seriously?:001_rolle

The thread is 6 years old and this discussion has NOTHING to do with CAR or enchanteonline. And Andrew's comments were neither I'll-tempered or ungentlemanly. They were the exact opposite!

Ken

Let's not go the wrong way with this, Gary. You are in a unique position in this forum. You are right, everyone is entitled to their opinions around here, and the purpose of this forum is to allow for an open discussion. But you come from a different background and are looked at by many members here as a representative of Simpsons brushes, whether true of not. I'm just asking that you take this into account before you post criticisms of other brush makers or speculate that other brush makers lack experience and knowledge of brushmaking history and thus make inferior products. Sorry to say, but your background colors my and many others interpretation of your posts, whether warranted or not. And let me reiterate, I think we all enjoy having you here.

Andrew

Yes it makes sense but you guys do forget that I started making brushes when I was 8 years old so I have had an education in brush making from master brush makers. The fact that they were Simpson brush makers is neither here nor there. I can look at characteristics of brushes/knots and pretty much see how they were made, etc.

Trust me Gary, no one who's read a single post of your history will EVER forget your education or experience. EVER!

I have ZERO doubt you can glance at a brush and know more about it than I will after years of actually using it. That's awesome!:thumbup:

What I'm asking is to please be specific instead of hinting that you know some dirty little secret. If you are unwilling to do that (and I fully understand being unwilling!) then, as my mother used to say, if you can't say something nice about someone (or in this case, something?).....

I did say earlier in this thread that I didn't want to post my list.

You did, and I fully respect that. I'm curious, of course. "your favorites" would be based on your extensive knowledge and unique perspective. I welcome that.

It's the other stuff (and you and "we" both know what I'm talking about, don't we?)....

Ken

Seriously?:001_rolle

The thread is 6 years old and this discussion has NOTHING to do with CAR or enchanteonline. And Andrew's comments were neither I'll-tempered or ungentlemanly. They were the exact opposite!

Ken

Incidentally, I have been told by Mr. Roberts himself that these brushes are no longer available. I was told this 3 years ago, so this thread has no real reason to continue.

Mr. Young, I have enjoyed your posts and certainly hope that you continue to voice your educated opinions. You have done an excellent job detailing your history with Simpson as well as presenting each of your opinions in that history.

No, no connection with CAR or Enchante whatsoever. Please read my posts again, as I have made no ill-tempered or ungentlemanly comments about Simpsons brushes. In fact, I disagree that any of my comments have been ill-tempered or ungentlemanly. Mr. Young has been active on many other brush threads, and my comments stem from this larger perspective. And your taking my comments as directed toward BOTH Mr. Young and Simpsons brushes really underlines the reason for my comments.

I do understand and like I said my connection with Simpson goes against me again! I am not a representative of Simpson 'now' but a representative of Simpson 'original' and brush making in general. That puts me in the position of the minority on here. My links make it difficult to voice an opinion on other brushes/makers without it being read that I am speaking 'on behalf' of Simpson. Perhaps this post should be read and understood that when I voice my opinion on other brands/brushes it is based on pure experience and knowledge of brush making not with bias involved. Difficult to disassociate me I know but it is a difficult position for me also.
And can I add to the guy who stated that perhaps you had connections with CAR. I don't think that was a well thought out post and I don't think that has any relevance. You didn't act in an ungentlemanly way towards me. No personal hurt was felt. For the record...

Gary

Here's where in the real world we shake hands in a gentlemanly fashion. Thanks for understanding.

Cheers,

Andrew

Let's not go the wrong way with this, Gary. You are in a unique position in this forum. You are right, everyone is entitled to their opinions around here, and the purpose of this forum is to allow for an open discussion. But you come from a different background and are looked at by many members here as a representative of Simpsons brushes, whether true of not. I'm just asking that you take this into account before you post criticisms of other brush makers or speculate that other brush makers lack experience and knowledge of brushmaking history and thus make inferior products. Sorry to say, but your background colors my and many others interpretation of your posts, whether warranted or not. And let me reiterate, I think we all enjoy having you here.

Andrew

You can only speak for yourself. You are neither a Mod, an Admin, a Steward or any other official capacitance member of B&B. Your opinion is strictly yours, and you speak for nobody else on the forum except YOU.

So if by Gary Young simply posting "colors" his comments to you, that's certainly acceptable. However, to then assign that interpretation to someone other than yourself is an unfounded extension.

For me personally, I very much enjoy reading Gary's posts about brushes, no matter the particular subject. He presents a unique and intricate insight that you do not, and will not ever, possess. Same with me, and same with 99.9% of the membership here.

As soon as you are the subject of of a B&B Confidential, and your years of brush making experience is noted, then you might be in a position to tell Gary how to post in Brush forums.

Even after 3.5 years here, I'm still amazed at the temerity of some gents.

Jason

No malice between myself and Andrew. He has pointed out valid arguments and issues with my membership here which I fully understand and do agree with so really it is between myself and Andrew and I think I can say for both of us that it is now sorted, water under the bridge and in the past...

Gary

Agreed. Thanks for the input, though, Jason.

Come on guys, they are just brushes...

So true, Matt, so true.

But seriously, you were very much in my thoughts as I posted earlier in this thread. Your company is a new face in the shaving product industry, making an excellent product, and providing excellent customer service. So I may have been talking about a little more than shaving brushes, even though the discussion with Gary was strictly about brushes.

Regards,

Andrew

Top Bottom