What's new

Captain CS by Lord, first impressions

Agreed. This is precisely why I love carbon steel blades and why I have been using them regularly for the past two years. They are gentle on my skin. The Captains are certainly terrific blades and are very gentle. They would be in my rotation if I had a good supply. But I am more than happy with my current supply of vintage carbons.

Ssssshhh,:shifty: we should keep this a secret or the next possible fad will be double edge carbon steel blades and everyone will be buying them up and jacking up the prices:turned:

Ssssshhh,:shifty: we should keep this a secret or the next possible fad will be double edge carbon steel blades and everyone will be buying them up and jacking up the prices:turned:

There is a risk I agree.....

I just started out wrong with carbon steel blades (badly stored rusty ones) but the Treet I am trying out now is a nice blade too. It has but one problem; I am trying it out right after the Captain. I really think the Treet is more than ok but on every aspect (except availability) the Captain is outperforming it so I have to try it again later to reach a final judgement. Still I would trade any blade south of my top 6 or 7 for those Treets in a heartbeat. I am not sure where precisely the Captains stand but definitely top 5 material.

I gotta use more carbon steel that is for sure....sigh.

Which Treet are you using Talibeard? The yellow pack Dura Sharps or the burgundy pack black beauties? The latter have been sadly discontinued but have been repackaged as silvered "Classic" blades. I wish the Lord Captain was available.

Which Treet are you using Talibeard? The yellow pack Dura Sharps or the burgundy pack black beauties? The latter have been sadly discontinued but have been repackaged as silvered "Classic" blades. I wish the Lord Captain was available.

The yellow pack Kevan. I just tossed the blade after its 4th shave. I have a little problem taking those ATG early in the shave and the shaves aren't as close as I normally get. Still 4 shaves is above what I usually get out of most stainless blades and the shaves are not bad; just no DFS in 2 passes (with some touch-up) but above an SAS for sure.

I too wished the Captain was available; it is a mighty interesting blade and performing very well indeed.

Tell me something new Vertelselaar! I even doubt you can keep it shut when you sleep! :lol:

As I slept this morning (summer-time silly thing started) I blathered and shaved for the second time with the Captain. Awesome BBS on my cheeks and chin. The neck is a bit more difficult to get as good as the cheeks as my neck is a more difficult area to shave. I should vary the angles a bit and see what comes out. But what a skin-saver this blade is, absolutely beautiful. My cheeks never looked so rosy and fine.

As I slept this morning (summer-time silly thing started).......

I see you are just as much a fan as I am.....:001_rolle

....I blathered and shaved for the second time with the Captain. Awesome BBS on my cheeks and chin. The neck is a bit more difficult to get as good as the cheeks as my neck is a more difficult area to shave. I should vary the angles a bit and see what comes out. But what a skin-saver this blade is, absolutely beautiful. My cheeks never looked so rosy and fine.

Is it a massage or is it a shave....

But you are right; I started with a fresh Captain today after having used the Treet the last 4 shaves and the difference is undeniable. So much easier and comfortable with a better result to boot; I repeat myself constantly on this thread but I never ever expected this from a carbon steel blade.

Quite possible Radium. I used to be the lone bidder on many carbon steel DE auctions but I have seen a steady increase in the competition. Not sure if they are collectors or users.

Fourth shave today with the Captain. The cheeks are perfectly BBS, but on the neck I still struggle with angles. I get a bit of irritation, still didn't find the correct way to shave there. No nicks or cuts at all, by the way. Curious how far this blade will go...

Fourth shave today with the Captain. The cheeks are perfectly BBS, but on the neck I still struggle with angles. I get a bit of irritation, still didn't find the correct way to shave there. No nicks or cuts at all, by the way. Curious how far this blade will go...

Funny that my first shaves were the other way around; just not as close on my cheeks but probably the best result ever with a DE on my neck.

Fifth shave today with the Captain. The light touch has gone, I feel more tugging and pulling. I even got a small knick on my neck, due to my perseverance to get the BBS there as well. Still a very good shave, smooth face and all, despite the rougher experience. I'll opt for a 6th go and find out what that means.

With my second Captain I have been playing around with different razors, from the mild Lord LP1822 aka L6 to the rather aggressive Mühle R89-Fatip style, to come to the conclusion that my first pick (the vintage Gladweg) was the best choice yet. The Captain performs well in all the razors I tried but the extra special bit came in the Gladweg; it curves the blade more than my other razors and also has an impressive blade gap, though not as much as the Fatip. I think the stronger bending of the blade does the trick for me and gives the most natural angle for the Captain. Awesome combination; when I returned to the Gladweg with my second blade everything went just that little easier and better.

Hi guys! Talibeard thanks, I received the blades one week ago.

I've never used a carbon blade, except the old Soviet "Neva" blades. Last week I started experiment with the Captain. Sorry, but the blade left me indifferent.

I don't know, how much are these blades. If they are cheap, I would be happy to use it. If not very cheap, I prefer the green 7 o'clock.

After the first shaving was a small irritation. The second and the third was very soft and comfortable. Fourth shaving was a bit worse, but quite nice and after it I decided to change the blade.

I've still got two blades and I will continue to experiment. In this time I will try to shave with a blade longer.

Thank you talibeard for an interesting experience. Now I want to try other carbon blades.

Sixth shave with the Captain yesterday morning. It felt pretty rough. Gone are the smoothness and lightness of touch of the first shaves. It was tugging and pulling and unpleasant. I got my beard off, though no BBS. My skin was red afterwards, something I seldom have. In the end it was one shave too far. I tossed the blade away and will try something else now, only to return later with a second blade.
Thanks Talibeard for letting me in on this experience!

Due to a serious fever over the last week I didn't report back here but some sort of 'final' verdict still has to be made.

After using 2 blades (the second one gave me 7 nice shaves!) all I really want is popping in a 3rd and shave on! During the 15 shaves I used the Captain now it has easily taken a place in my top-5, probably even top-3, and that is about the last thing I expexted when I started with them. On my neck it is simply the best (DE-) blade I ever used and it keeps my skin there in top condition; I get slightly closer shaves with the Lord SS and a Feather, but not by much.

I have used it in several razors and it works with all but I prefer the stronger curved Gladweg with it. The stronger curving of the blade fits the character of the Captain best in my book.

All in all a blade to stock if it was on the market and that is the only issue with the Captain; it is a 'mystery' blade and you simply can't stock up.

Lord Company; please bring this wonderfull blade to our markets!!! And vendors; see what you can do about it here!

Thanks everybody for trying this blade with me and your helpfull comments on the matter! Thanks Penge for giving me the opportunity to try these!

Those blades look very interesting! I've always hesitated in trying carbon blades but the Captain seems like a winner... i've just sent an email to Lord to see if there would be any way of obtaining these

I emailed Lord about something a few years ago and never got a reply.

I have had mixed results in the past but they really helped me out 4 years ago with both razors and blades. I think they are simply not into the western niche/retro market (yet). They still have their focus on bulk sales in traditional DE markets imo and not so much on us.

Top Bottom