What's new

Can't decide between these two pipes

Like the title says, I'm torn. Even though price has little to do with it, in the interest of full disclosure, the Brandy Silver Spigot Cumberland (first picture) by Pierre Morel is 180 EUR and the Sandblasted Lumberman (second pic) by Alexander Bondarev is 271 EUR. I like them both equally. Both will come with a hefty shipping rate as Morel is in France and Bondarev is in Russia. I'll probably end up doing "eeny, meeny, miny, moe," so I thought I'd at least get y'all's fine opinions. Which do you like more?

782_imgp4723.jpg

5.jpg

Top one for me...lower centre of gravity so better for clenching. That cross cut lumberman is mighty fine, too. Tough call!

Although the finish on the lumberman is awesome, my personal preference would be for the brandy. Love the spigot mount, the blast, Cumberland...yep, everything about it.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
The B&B answer, of course, is both.

But as the resident pipe whore, with way too many pipes, I'll offer this advice: if you don't know, the answer is neither. They're both great pipes and either one will make you happy. But, if neither of them speaks to you loudly enough to distinguish it from the other, then I submit the answer is don't get either of them. Save your money, keep looking, and buy the one that demands you take it home, regardless of price. That's how you build a focused, delightful pipe collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cumberland for me. Reason why, I see the second design frequently, I don't see that Cumberland design all that often.

But as the resident pipe whore, with way too many pipes, I'll offer this advice: if you don't know, the answer is neither. They're both great pipes and either one will make you happy. But, if neither of them speaks to you loudly enough to distinguish it from the other, then I submit the answer is don't get either of them. Save your money, keep looking, and buy the one that demands you take it home, regardless of price. That's how you build a focused, delightful pipe collection.

Or you could just buy other peoples giant collections, then you don't have to choose.

But seriously, for me it would be the Bent Brandy, Blast, Spigot, Cumberland....YUM.

A wise woman, my darling wife, once told me don't consider the price between two pipes. Get the pipe you really want or you'll end up purchasing two or three pipes you don't really want.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Or you could just buy other peoples giant collections, then you don't have to choose.

But seriously, for me it would be the Bent Brandy, Blast, Spigot, Cumberland....YUM.

lol! Well, I'll admit it: I'm a collector. Different animal than someone who buys pipes to smoke though. I have unsmoked pipes in my collection that I consider myself the curator of. And far more pipes than I can realistically smoke. But, I know what I collect, why I buy pipes, and I enjoy the hunt. Through that, though, I've learned a lot about what ticks my boxes, and what to collect. And it's from that experience that I will advise folks who don't want to lapse into absurdity (where I dwell) to slow their roll and be more focused.

But that brandy spigot is sweet. ;)

lol! Well, I'll admit it: I'm a collector. Different animal than someone who buys pipes to smoke though. I have unsmoked pipes in my collection that I consider myself the curator of. And far more pipes than I can realistically smoke. But, I know what I collect, why I buy pipes, and I enjoy the hunt. Through that, though, I've learned a lot about what ticks my boxes, and what to collect. And it's from that experience that I will advise folks who don't want to lapse into absurdity (where I dwell) to slow their roll and be more focused.

But that brandy spigot is sweet. ;)

On a serious note, you advice is absolutely correct, and I have appreciated it, and tried to follow it. I don't always walk away when I should have, but I have many times, and sometimes go back, and then I know it was for me. I have never regretted one I went back for, I have regretted a couple I didn't hold off on.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Were it me, the Morel. It is bent, has a spigot, Cumberland stem, great blast. I like it a lot.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

This is, of course, the most sensible post, unless one is lusting over both equally. Liking a pipe and lusting over a pipe are two different things.

Top Bottom