What's new

Can I get million dollar razor blades?

I was at an antique fair yesterday and got a Valet Autostrop Million Dollar Razor. I did a number of searches on this forum and youtube and I am having difficulty trying to figure out if I have the razor that can use modern blades (adapted) or not. Can someone help identify this razor? And some recommendations on the best blades to adapt for it too, if I can.

Any other insight would be helpful. I've been using Gillette DE razors for awhile, but never had one of these before.

Thanks

Attachments

• $Million1.jpg
    $Million1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 143
  • $Million2.jpg
    $Million2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 139
  • $Million3.jpg
    $Million3.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 138
  • $Million4.jpg
    $Million4.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 141
You have a Valet Auto-Strop VC2, Circa 1928-1935. Unfortunately, the only blade that will fit it is the Feather FHS - modified Gem style blades will not fit. There is even a slight possibility that the Feather blades will not fit without modifying the razor.

The FHS is the blade used by the OneBlade.

Loaded with a Feather blade the VC2 is a smooth comfortable shaver.

--Bob

Last edited:
Really? Great!! If I've only got one option for blades, I will take the one option for blades. As long as I can try and use it. Thanks. Looking to make a purchase now....

In addition to the Feather FHS-10 blades, the Feather FAS-10 blades should fit too. The FHS is stainless steel; the FAS is carbon steel. Both are in current production. The finish on those old Valet's is pretty tough and can withstand some aggressive polishing I wouldn't try on other razors, if you are so inclined. Enjoy your cool score!

In addition to the Feather FHS-10 blades, the Feather FAS-10 blades should fit too. The FHS is stainless steel; the FAS is carbon steel. Both are in current production. The finish on those old Valet's is pretty tough and can withstand some aggressive polishing I wouldn't try on other razors, if you are so inclined. Enjoy your cool score!

Thanks! I already polished it up after that pic was taken -- looks nearly new. I was able to find the FHS blades on Amazon. But can't find the FAS carbon ones. Ebay seller selling them for $80!! Any recommendations on where to get those?

I would not go out of my way to find the carbon steel Feathers. Everyone I know who has tried them has reported that they shave like box cutter blades. And of course, being carbon steel they must be removed from the razor and dried immediately after each shave.

--Bob

Hmm, must be worse than the carbon steel blades on my DE Gillettes then. I alternate between carbon and stainless and I use them up before any oxidation shows. Oh well, that's why I'm here, to learn about these razors!

To update this thread: I received a pack of those FHS-10 blades in the mail last week (Razor Blades Club is a great seller, BTW).

I went to put the first blade into the razor to try it out, and it is not going in straight. It is fitting in the slots, but it is not aligned. And I cannot match up the circle. I thought it may be something on the razor warped, but it came with a rusty vintage Autostrop branded blade and I put it in and it lined up perfectly. Pics attached.

Any ideas? This should be the correct blade for this model razor, as I understand it.
IMG_3769.JPG
IMG_3770.JPG
IMG_3771.JPG

In the pictures you first posted, it looks like you have some original Valet blades. How do they fit in the razor?

Those old ones fit perfectly. Aligned and everything. Unusable due to age and rust of course. But that was my first go to problem to see if the razor alignment was off. It was not. Problem specific to these blades.

Trouble with fitting the Feather is a known issue. I found this in reference to the VC2:

"Blade insertion is a real PITA with this razor also. The same problems all over again. This is the razor that has the same swing open head and then when that’s open it has another door that swings open. There are too many places for the blade to settle in on the pins, and to make matters worse this razor doesn’t have the raised areas to align in the cutouts of the blade to show you that you’re close. Same faults as with the VC4 blade loading, the fingers must work in very close proximity to the cutting edge. But I finally got it in place, and the blade is up against the blade stops."

Keep at it, in other words :) Got it.I'll see if I can find some protective gloves that still give me a bit of movement. Or tissues.

To update this thread: I received a pack of those FHS-10 blades in the mail last week (Razor Blades Club is a great seller, BTW).

I went to put the first blade into the razor to try it out, and it is not going in straight. It is fitting in the slots, but it is not aligned. And I cannot match up the circle. I thought it may be something on the razor warped, but it came with a rusty vintage Autostrop branded blade and I put it in and it lined up perfectly. Pics attached.

Any ideas? This should be the correct blade for this model razor, as I understand it.
View attachment 762077 View attachment 762078 View attachment 762079
It almost looks like it would work better if you turned the blade over.

Nope. Can't turn it over. I took Dog Whiskerer's advice and applied a bit of extra work into it. It is not 100% aligned, but fairly close. I'm going to give it a shot and see if it works. Thanks.

Top Bottom