What's new

Can a SR be too sharp?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I prefer the absolute sharpest edge I can get. Comfort comes from the hand, not the blade, for me. Finesse of touch is not really a thing until you get the edge scary sharp, so that to touch blade to whisker is to cut it. If it is not sharp enough to treetop reliably, it is not going to give you a comfortable but close shave in a single pass. Sharpness increases the likelyhood that you will find an edge "harsh", yes, but if it is REALLY sharp, you can learn to make it work with less pressure and fewer passes.

FWIW, I finish on .1u diamond. Not 1u, but .1u, on balsa, rubbed in so that the diamond crystals are deeply embedded in the balsa, giving a still smaller virtual grit size. This is the finest edge that I have ever made. It will cut you mercilessly if you are careless, but if your game is on, oh what a shave!

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I have one leather paddle strop with the 200K / .1u diamond that does put the pinnacle of sharp onto an edge. Not harsh at all to me. Be careful and you will be wowed.

Last edited:
To the OP, I'd say yes a razor can be too sharp in the sense that the temporary keenness of the edge degrades too quickly to support regular shaving. I hone my razor through a grit progression of 1K through 15K and finish on hard black surgical arkansas stone. It seems to give a nice balance of being very keen and yet the edge is not so thin it degrades after a few passes.

Top Bottom