What's new

Camping essentials

A head torch is just about essential, in my experience of camping in the wilds. Being able to move around at night with your hands free makes the experience vastly more safe and enjoyable.

9+gs of an black Tea for me and coffee for my parents
1/2-1/2 for tea
sager raw
3 one gallons of water
an small weather fm radio (helps me to sleep)
tea kettle for hot water
camper
chairs
wood
fire starter ie bic lighter with wind proof matches
kifes
soap drbonners does wonders
tooth brush
Tooth pastes
timer for tea also
frashlight
Ax
salt and pepper
Dad has his .38

I'm thanking about adding an water filter as you have no idea what's in the water.(someplaces we went had cloudy water and it was in a fed park..) But I could just take one more gal use..As to put up with that hassle..

Last edited:
Ordered up a tent and tarp on Amazon this morning. I like the idea of borrowing before we buy. I'll have to buy a good coffee kettle/pot/perculater as my parents don't drink coffee.

But We used to go camping when I was a kid so my parents have a lot of the camp ware (stove, lantern, air mattress, etc etc) so I will be raiding the storage building before we go, thank you gentlemen for all the ideas

Ordered up a tent and tarp on Amazon this morning. I like the idea of borrowing before we buy. I'll have to buy a good coffee kettle/pot/perculater as my parents don't drink coffee.

But We used to go camping when I was a kid so my parents have a lot of the camp ware (stove, lantern, air mattress, etc etc) so I will be raiding the storage building before we go, thank you gentlemen for all the ideas

I think that you're all set. One of the biggest innovations that we've picked up in recent years are LED headlamps that are great for those after dark walks plus for the first time we can easily read at night in the tent after years of reading for a few minutes with a flashlight. (if you don't know, never operate a Coleman or propane lantern in a tent).

My wife and I are both in our mid-fifties and have enjoyed camping together for over three decades now. It's one of our favorite getaways.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
... A cot
A good cast iron frying pan

A Dutch oven

A Coleman style 2 burner gas cook stove

A sturdy cooler to keep foods cool in

... of course, the OP asked about tent camping, not car camping, so bulky, heavy items like these won't really work for him (but good ideas for car camping though!)

Depending on the area where you are going---a Glock 20 might be in order.

Also--matching your gear to the climate/area is needed.

Went to Yellowstone last summer and didn't research a thing ---just packed up and went.
I packed up summer clothes and a summer bag thinking how cold can it be in the middle of july??? Wrong---I froze my behind off the whole time--even daytime was a little brisk---good thing I keep a coat in the car. Bug repellent would be essential too----there was a swarm of skeeters just waiting for me to come out until it even got too cold and blustery for them. Mosquitos don't even bother me here---they were down right blood thirsty there.

I find cowboy coffee much easier when camping. Try it at home to see how you like it. No need for any fancy equipment at all.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I would add, "a first aid kit with colloidal bandages." Those are those blister-cover types without a gauze pad.

I cut about a square centimeter off one of my fingers a few weeks ago - kitchen knife accident - and the feeling from the gauze coming off was really ... cringe-inducing.

We stuck a colloidal bandage on and the healing has been miraculous. Will have new fingerprints, though.

AA

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I would add, "a first aid kit with colloidal bandages." Those are those blister-cover types without a gauze pad.

I cut about a square centimeter off one of my fingers a few weeks ago - kitchen knife accident - and the feeling from the gauze coming off was really ... cringe-inducing.

We stuck a colloidal bandage on and the healing has been miraculous. Will have new fingerprints, though.

AA

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
All right. He got me!

It'll be a month tomorrow, and I still have one of those colloidal bandages on it ...

AA

We use Starbucks instant coffee when camping. I believe our favorite one is called Columbiana. It's really good stuff and really easy when camping a bit expensive though. Highly recommend if traveling light is important.

If you don't like the creepy crawlers or the mosquitoes all over, spray some Sawyer Permethrin on your clothing and gear before you head into the woods.

Not enough info...

Where will you be camping? What kind of daytime and evening temperatures can be expected?

Are you roughing it and going to parks or forests with no facilities, or are you going to full service campgrounds with bathrooms available?

How long are you going?

Is camping the vacation, or will it be a basecamp for other activities? If it is a basecamp, will it be outdoors activities (kayaking/canoeing, fishing, hiking, etc.) or touristy activities?

Hiking, canoe/kayak camping, motorcycle camping, or car camping?

The answers to each of these questions are necessary to come up with a good list for you?

So far, most lists given have been for car camping.

Oh basics people need (or find useful) regardless of type of camping:

• 1st aid kit
  • Do not forget extra pegs, different kinds of pegs for different types of ground, and a peg puller (peg pullers can be part of your mallet)
  • Do not forget a rubber mallet or hatchet to help you hammer the pegs into the ground
  • Glow in the dark guy line is nice to lower the chances of late night bathroom trips turning into embarrassment or injury
  • A good tent (avoid store brand, Coleman and most other cheap tents like the plague). Spend a few bucks if it rains you will be thanking me.
  • Be prepared for warm or cold nights (if car camping and you can take more stuff). A warm sleeping bag, and a light sheet should cover all bases
  • A base level under your sleeping bag. An insulated sleeping pad if it will be cold at night, a cot or good air mattress/air bed if it will be warm (in the 60s maybe, preferably at least in the 70s).
  • Pillow, soap, towel (you'd be surprised how many people forget these things, they are used to them being supplied at hotels and motels). You can get smaller camp sized pillows and towels if space and/or weight is an issue (kayak/canoe camping, motorcycle camping, hiking)
  • Food, water, entertainment (card based games and games without too many parts are best)
  • Appropriate sized stove for your type of camping and fuel
  • flashlights and lanterns

In order of personal importance, each subject to its own "soft touches" and improvements relative to the distance said comforts must be carried:
  • Proper clothing worn into the wild
  • (Clean) Water
  • Warmth/Fire/Staying dry
  • Medical essentials (duct tape and Vitamin I at worst)
  • Light
  • Fly rod
  • Bourbon
  • Where am I and how to get home?
  • Eating
  • Coffee

Top Bottom