What's new

Calling all Louisiana members

I know some of you guys were asking about barbershops that still do straight shaves. I know of a small shop in Gretna right across the street from the court house (don't ask) that still did them when i was there a while back. I'm sure if he hasn't retired yet that he still does them. I want to say he charged $25 or so.

Thanks for the info neighbor! Glad you are here.

Sent from the Danger Phone
Glad to be here!! Hope all is well.

Almost forgot, there is the antique village in Breaux Bridge too. Been there a few times and scored some Nice DE's. They always seem to have straight razors too but they seem to be priced too high for my taste and their condition. I saw 10 this past weekend with prices $35-75 on them and a couple of DE's under $20 that were in really good shape but not my style.

Thanks for the good info, TH! I hope you weathered the flood okay.

We seem to be accumulating a few guys in the BR area. Might be fun to set up a get together in the spring or something.

So this is for you guys in the Baton Rouge area. I think I need a new place to get a haircut. My current place is fine, but I think my girl is getting a little expensive for what she does. I wear my hair long on the top and clipped short on the side. I also have a "hard part" shaved into my head. I get my sides cut and my hard part cleaned up every month and about once every four months or so, I get the length on top shortened a bit. I basically wear my hair combed back and to the side. I would love to get into a barbershop but too many barbershops do just clipper work and really only cut "military" styles. Any way...any recommendations from you all?

Thanks [MENTION=112861]Trufflehunter[/MENTION] I have actually gone in there once. I picked up a couple of shaving items they were selling (wasn't impressed...it was from a company out of Colorado called Mod Cabin). For what I am looking for I think their prices are a little pricey. I would like to get a shave from them though and see how it is. I have my doubts though. I asked the girl at the counter if they use a straight razor or a shavette and she asked me, "what's a shavette?" I get the impression they are a salon that is appealing to the LSU and Executive crowd and decided to add shaves because it is the trendy thing to do. Anyway...thanks again!

It's been discussed but hasn't really progressed. I would be willing to plan something, but I'm just not in a position to do so at the moment.

[MENTION=92620]Ignatius1234[/MENTION] So...are you "up on da bayou" or "down da bayou?" Welcome to the group. As [MENTION=94732]TigerFan[/MENTION] has said...I think we have tried, but to no avail. I too am not in the position to do anything about it at the Time being. But maybe later in 2017 I might see what we can do.

I am in st mary....atchafalaya basin....yes I would be down for some kind of local representation and presentation on the bayou.....

Hey guys. I'm a Yankee transplant up here in Kentwood, but I work in baton rouge. We're trying to move closer, but there's not a lot of rentals in the area. Anyway, hi!

Okay gents in the Baton Rouge area. I found a Barber Shop that hearkens back to my childhood memories! Cutrone's Barber Shop over on Jefferson Hwy right next door to Monjuni's in Mid-City. I walked in and breathed the powdery scent of that barber shop smell. There were three people cutting hair today...two guys and girl. The owner, Lawrence, is the same guy that used to cut hair at LSU for the past 15 years or so. I was serviced by Jessy (the female) and I will say that I was very impressed! She asked me a couple of questions and went to town. I asked her if she could put a "hard part" into my hair and she said certainly. She clipped in a line and then put some warm shaving cream where she just clipped. She asked the barber next to her if he could shave the rest of it in. This is where it got good...he pulled out a straight razor...not a shavette, not a hair shaper...but a straight razor. He cleaned out the rest of the hair and went back to what he was doing. After she had finished...Jessy put a hot steamed towel on my head and gave me a scalp and neck massage. I could have just stayed there. To answer your next question...yes they give straight razor shaves! I don't know how much they are...I forgot to ask in all my excitement...but my haircut was only $17.00 ( a few bucks more if you need a shampoo). I know it's probably more than some barber shops...but the last place I was going to just raised her prices to $30.00 a cut. If I hadn't shaved this morning...I would have got a shave too. Anyway...just wanted to let you all know. I was very happy with the service and my cut. By the time I was leaving, the place filled up. There were about six or seven guys sitting down, looking at magazines and talking to each other. I think I found my home! :001_smile

That sounds like a great place to swing by after work some time! I don't need a haircut, as I have none, but a proper barber shop shave sounds nice.

That sounds like a great place to swing by after work some time! I don't need a haircut, as I have none, but a proper barber shop shave sounds nice.

I can't recommend the shave just yet...."yet"...as I haven't had one. So if you get one...let us know how it turned out!

Top Bottom