What's new

butterfly or 3 piece

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm wondering why one would want a 3 piece DE vs a butterfly? I have a 1966 Gillette slim
adjustable butterfly and changing blades is a quick super fast operation. What am I missing fellas?

Hello Gents, I have a 66' Gillette slim adjustable works like a charm every time. Being relatively new to DE (about 2 months now) and to this God gifted website, I've learned so much from all of you and am very thankful to everyone. I have has such wonderful success with DE shaving and absolutely love my butterfly Gillette it is so quick and painless to change blades that it begs the question why would anyone want a 3 piece? What am I missing here gents.?.

It is a simpler design. A 3 piece that is. No internal parts that can be damaged, bent, or even misalignment. Don't get me wrong, I have 2 tto's a 63' Slim and a Merkur Vision and love'em. But the 3 piece design is perhaps, arguably the best innovation ever for a razor. Great rigidity for the blade sandwiched between the top and lower plate. Practically perfect alignment everytime....

It depends, for some guys who a new razor and don't want a Weishi the "only" options are the '89 razors and Merkur.
Also some people just like the three piece design.

Because vintage Gillette open comb 3 piece razors are cheaper than TTO!

I have a 1966 Gillette slim adjustable butterfly and changing blades is a quick super fast operation.

When did it become a race to change blades?

I started out with a TTO Gillette. I probably have more TTOs than any other type of razor. But I have two and three piece razors and I like them. There is something about a design that is over a hundred years old still getting it done.

Well, it's time then.... I believe a Murker 33 is in order!!! LOL yikes yet another purchase.....

As usual, I will throw you all under the bus and tell my wife its your fault! LOL
thanks as always,
carry on

The 3 piece is just plain right on so many levels. K.I.S.S. simple!

As usual, I will throw you all under the bus and tell my wife its your fault! LOL
thanks as always,
carry on
:001_rolle Careful, that explanation has a limited number of uses!

Some find the 3 piece with its slimmer head, easier to maneuver under nose. It's reaally a matter of personal preference.

Last edited by a moderator:
If all you have ever used is the Adjustable then your missing a whole lot! Man there are lots of smother and better Gillette razors out there. The Early TTO's like the Ranger Tech, The Sheraton/Senator, the Aristocrat... Then you get into the NEW, and The Old Type, Then you discover the marked difference between the US made Gillette's and the English made ones...
And before you know it you have learned there is a WHOLE lot of difference in all these Gillette's. Adjustable razors turn out to be my least favorite of all, but I still use one quite often. for me variety is the spice of life.:shaving:

When did it become a race to change blades?

I started out with a TTO Gillette. I probably have more TTOs than any other type of razor. But I have two and three piece razors and I like them. There is something about a design that is over a hundred years old still getting it done.

+1 to this.
And the only way to find out what you're missing is to get yourself a 3-piece razor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom