What's new

bushcraft knife

I was wondering if anybody could recommend a bushcraft knife that is well-made and also affordable around the $70 range or less recommendations are much appreciated

Hi,

I'll second the Mora/Pukko knives. Tried and tested for over a 1000 years in real life survival situations. Still incredibly inexpensive to buy. I personally favor the traditional rat-tail tang wooden barrel handled ones. I do have a fondness for my Condor Nessmuk too. Fantastic camp knife pattern.

And don't forget to add a small pocket sized folder. Like a Scout pattern knife like an Alox Victorinox model like a Farmer. Leave the Spydercos and Benchmades at home. This isn't their venue.

Bluewing

$IMG_0778.jpg

The Grohmann Canadian Belt knives have been a solid choice for decades

It is a LOT smaller. Comparing it (far right) to the Grohmann Survival knife (far left), there is a significant difference. Of course, one can always "Go big or go home". Just pick up a Randall 14 and be done with it all
$IMG_0568.JPG

Tad more than $70 though. The Ontario USAF Survival knife is a pretty decent
choice for about $40$IMG_4181.jpg

Last edited:
I never used one cause I still carry an Ax and a bow saw camping. I have a old timer 165 Woodsman and a Old Hickory Cabbage Knife for Camp stuff.

Hard to beat a Mora for companion knife. I have a bunch of the models but I tend to reach for my fav: model 601. Some folks don't care for the finger guards but I like them. Heck for $70 bucks you can score almost a half dozen Moras. Some of the basic models can be found for under $10. I have yet to put their new Eldris and Kansbol knives to the test but I have little doubt that I will love them.

Condors are great. I prefer their Kephart to their Bushlore but both are solid values. I scored a HG Kukri for X-mas...that thing is a beast but not recommended for an intro blade.

Determine the specs that you like: i.e., stainless or carbon, blade profile, sheath, etc and let those guide your selection. Also, Delta Boy is spot on. Let a knife be a knife. Carry an axe/hatchet if firewood needs to be processed, IMHO.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The whole "bushcraft" genre gets funny, but Moras are spectacular bang for your buck - you can keep one in every bugout bag, just in case you lose your $,$$$ knife.

AA

my buck 119 special is always on my hip when i venture out into wilderness, hasnt let me down at all. i put an edge on my dads airforce k-bar and its stood up well.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Good suggestion.

The Condor Kephart is a good knife for Bushcraft use.

I actually got the Condor Bushcraft blade blank, and did a paracord handle.

Do also have their Nessmuk, and a steak-knife-looking one; forget its name. Also a throwing axe, come to think, and a really good model called the Toloza (below).

$condor-ctk241-6hcm-toloza-knife-6in-large.jpg

AA

Legion

Staff member
I never used one cause I still carry an Ax and a bow saw camping. I have a old timer 165 Woodsman and a Old Hickory Cabbage Knife for Camp stuff.

True. I will still use my little antique hatchet for fire wood, rather than buttoning my knife. But it is nice to have a knife that you know is up to it if needed.

When I worked in the bush I also always had my buck 110 on my belt, and that was good for kindling and small stuff.

Top Bottom