What's new

Burt's Bees bought by Clorox?

Cause the owner hired someone to help him out and she basically screwed him out of the company. So selling the company "while their sanity/dignity/integrity is still intact" is not possible.

yeah, she f*cked him royally. kinda feel bad for the geezer but money doesn't seem to be a top priority for him.

Cause the owner hired someone to help him out and she basically screwed him out of the company. So selling the company "while their sanity/dignity/integrity is still intact" is not possible.

The article indicates it just might be a little more complicated than that. Plus the two of them were the original owners, not just him. And him is a guy who prefers to live in a chicken coop.

The article indicates it just might be a little more complicated than that. Plus the two of them were the original owners, not just him. And him is a guy who prefers to live in a chicken coop.

technically he owned a 2/3 stake in the company and the packaging does bear his likeness. sounded to me like he got the #### end of the stick when it's all said and done. he may be eccentric but he should've come out of that deal with a little more money in his pocket than she did imho

Last edited by a moderator:
technically he owned a 2/3 stake in the company and the packaging does bear his likeness. sounded to me like he got the **** end of the stick when it's all said and done. he may be eccentric but he should've come out of that deal with a little more money in his pocket than she did imho

I believe you have it backwards:

In 1999, Ms. Quimby bought out his one-third share in Burt’s Bees by buying him a house in Maine. Much grander than a turkey coop, the home cost $130,000, Ms. Quimby says. She now calls that figure “embarrassing” considering how much she made from the company.

Mr. Shavitz did not respond when asked if he hired advisers to determine whether he had been paid a fair valuation for his stake. He sold the house in Maine a few months after Ms. Quimby bought it for him because, she says, he missed his turkey coop. (He has since enlarged it to about 12 feet by 20 feet.)

And I had it wrong, too: it is a turkey coop, not a chicken coop.

So who should have saved him from his decision to sell his 1/3 share to her many years ago and move back in to his turkey coop? They split up and he moved back to the coop in 1993 (her story) or later (implied in an interview with him). At any rate he was out of it before the major growth of the company. Three million plus continued payment for using his image is not too bad for a guy who was not very involved.

Last edited:
Gee, and all this time I thought the stories of the eccentric at company were just that, pleasant fictions as part of a clever, budget-friendly marketing ploy. I guess I was wrong.

Clorox bought them to boost their "green" image. It wouldn't make much sense for Clorox to buy them and then start monkeying around and make an inferior product.

Clorox bought them to boost their "green" image. It wouldn't make much sense for Clorox to buy them and then start monkeying around and make an inferior product.

That makes sense. It's just that companies, like people, do not always do what makes sense or is in their best interest. While I very much do hope it turns out that they let BB do it's own thing and just add their financial and marketing clout, brands have been bought and trashed in the past. And many pseudo-healthy-organic brands succeed, so I can imagine some temptation to alter the ingredients in order to increase margins.

The BB products I have looked at on the shelves recently still look pretty good to me. I'll be trying more of them...but keeping my eyes open, too.

That makes sense. It's just that companies, like people, do not always do what makes sense or is in their best interest. While I very much do hope it turns out that they let BB do it's own thing and just add their financial and marketing clout, brands have been bought and trashed in the past. And many pseudo-healthy-organic brands succeed, so I can imagine some temptation to alter the ingredients in order to increase margins.

The BB products I have looked at on the shelves recently still look pretty good to me. I'll be trying more of them...but keeping my eyes open, too.

As I posted earlier, that article is over a year old. Haven't heard anything yet about lesser quality products from Burt's Bees. I don't use anything from them so I wouldn't know first hand.

As I posted earlier, that article is over a year old. Haven't heard anything yet about lesser quality products from Burt's Bees. I don't use anything from them so I wouldn't know first hand.

Well, their shave cream and Bay Rum is just as crappy as its always been, if that's any solace. :lol:

Top Bottom