What's new

Bulova Watches?

I don't see many of these being discussed on here or being worn in the "Watcha Wearing" thread. Any reason for that?

I think they're just a little unloved. My father in law had one for years and when he passed away my wife got it. Good quality watches apparently.

They are decent watches but normally "watch experts/lovers" go for something a little more high end and most people seem to go with bulova's parent company citizen or just get a seiko for that price range.

I have however seem some very nice looking watches in the marine star and accutron lines though.

Ok, so Seiko is a better watch for the money? I'm new to watches (other than my Timex Ironman i wore in high school) but would like to get a few watches for "fancy dress" I bought one of the B&B custom watches and i'm waiting for that one to see if i will enjoy wearing one. I see in a few of the Men's magazines Bulova watches ads and that there not entirely expensive as compared to, say, a $2,000 timepiece. I was just wondering why there wasn't much love for those watches.

Here's a couple of vintage Oceanographers for you.

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a 1970 Deep Sea.

proxy.php

I like the older, tuning for Accutrons.

I am curious about their sweeping perpetuals they are advertising now. :thumbup1:

:huh:Bulova was an old American company that was one of the first to advertise on TV. "America runs on Bulova Time" or something like that. Their watches usually used Swiss movements. Their classic period was 30s-50's with many tank style watches with somewhat more elaborate casework than some. They were always a mid to upper level watch but never a luxury brand. I agree with the above, I have an oceanographer with a classic bulova movement-great watch. The company is currently owned by Citizen and uses citizen movements. Bulova's most revolutionary period was the develpment of the Accutron, the famous battery driven tuning fork watch-a prequartz electric watch. They had many cool case designs and are an affordable collectable now. Ironically, Citizen now uses the Accutron name for the higher end mechanical Bulovas!

:huh:Bulova was an old American company that was one of the first to advertise on TV. "America runs on Bulova Time" or something like that. Their watches usually used Swiss movements. Their classic period was 30s-50's with many tank style watches with somewhat more elaborate casework than some. They were always a mid to upper level watch but never a luxury brand. I agree with the above, I have an oceanographer with a classic bulova movement-great watch. The company is currently owned by Citizen and uses citizen movements. Bulova's most revolutionary period was the develpment of the Accutron, the famous battery driven tuning fork watch-a prequartz electric watch. They had many cool case designs and are an affordable collectable now. Ironically, Citizen now uses the Accutron name for the higher end mechanical Bulovas!

Bulova was never an American Company. Joseph Bulova was a Swiss who opened an assembly plant in NYC and shipped completed mvmts to the U.S and made the rest of the watch here. Yes they used to advertise as being an American watch but it's really not true. In recent years the company kind of languished as a non inspiring watch company and recently was bought by Citizen. maybe they will use it as a vehicle to bring higher end watches to the market. Their new precisionist Line has received some good press.

Thanks Guys, some beautiful time pieces y'all have there! What are a few good watch forums to scope out? Something like B&B where you can learn about watches and maybe buy one.

Here is a of picture my modern 21 jewel Automatic Miyota Bulova watch. It's 8215 movement is like a tank. I believe it is one of the best values out there today.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
:blushing:
Bulova was never an American Company. Joseph Bulova was a Swiss who opened an assembly plant in NYC and shipped completed mvmts to the U.S and made the rest of the watch here. Yes they used to advertise as being an American watch but it's really not true. In recent years the company kind of languished as a non inspiring watch company and recently was bought by Citizen. maybe they will use it as a vehicle to bring higher end watches to the market. Their new precisionist Line has received some good press.

A very good point! The national origins of a watch are often obscure-today many so called German watches use Asian movements and are assembled in Germany, Seikos come from Japan and Singapore, many old Swiss names that died during the quartz crisis have been resurected with foreign ownership and totally unclear insides, even the Swiss are now using rebadged Sea-gull movements from China in watches labled Swiss made (with all the subleties of what Swiss+other words means!).

The Bulova Precisionist line is getting attention on some of the wrist watch discussion forums. It has a thermocompensated quartz movement, making it very accurate, even by quartz standards, and has a continuously sweeping second hand - not the second by second jumps of the usual quartz movement or even the ticking of mechanical movements.

Here's a review

It includes a video of the sweeping second hand.

I don't see many of these being discussed on here or being worn in the "Watcha Wearing" thread. Any reason for that?

I posted my Bulova Marine Star in the Watch Ya Wearing thread.
It was a wedding gift from my wife. Bulova makes a nice product.
I don't know why they get overlooked so often.
Here it is again:

I have 2 that are 12 and 10 years old. Other then almost loosing the watches due to pin's coming out of the stainless bands, they have been absolutely trouble free.

After about 5 or 6 years, the pins began falling out of the stainless bands. I had them repaired once or twice to replace a missing pin but that was a lost cause as after a couple weeks different pin would work its way out. Finally I hit each pin with a little solder and polished it. Perfect fit, finish and performance since then.

These two watches are in my valet tray. I choose each morning which I feel like wearing, as I have for 12 years. They only time they sit out is the occasionally lazy Sunday where I don't do anything other then watch football, or special occasions where I wear a dress watch.

The Crystal are not dull at all.

Wrong Bulova started out as a an jewlery shop in NYC owned by an immigrant from Bohemia. Joesph Bulova started making mantle clocks and pocket watches which sold well so he opened his plant cases were american made and the movements were swiss. in 1919 Bulova introduced the first full line of wrist watches. Bulova made watches for the military, when Charles Lindburgh made his transalntic flight he was awarded with a Boluva "Lone Eagle". They also made the first clock radio, the first electric clocks and among the first to make automobile clocks. The history of this fine AMERICAN company has created quite a following. I own Bulovas and they are a wonderful timepiece.

Wrong Bulova started out as a an jewlery shop in NYC owned by an immigrant from Bohemia. Joesph Bulova started making mantle clocks and pocket watches which sold well so he opened his plant cases were american made and the movements were swiss. in 1919 Bulova introduced the first full line of wrist watches. Bulova made watches for the military, when Charles Lindburgh made his transalntic flight he was awarded with a Boluva "Lone Eagle". They also made the first clock radio, the first electric clocks and among the first to make automobile clocks. The history of this fine AMERICAN company has created quite a following. I own Bulovas and they are a wonderful timepiece.

Wikipedia agrees with you.

Wikipedia agrees with you.

Don't believe everything you read in the wiki-har har

Bulova started as a wholesale jewelry shop in N.Y in 1875 selling imported goods and was always a Swiss based business. In the 1930s they started making some mvmt components. Basically they were always Swiss based and that is where their mvmts came from with the rest of the components like cases and such made in the U.S to avoid customs tariffs. It was only later in the 1950s they started rolling out mvmts actually made in the U.S. Still, the company has always been Swiss owned until very recently. They were never an American Company. As a matter of fact when the Accutron was developed Mr Hentzl and his team started development in Switzerland and the factory mgr was against the expenditure of finances and closed down the project. Omar Bradley was the head of Bulova in the U.S and he invited them to come here and with U.S Military help completed the project.

No I didn't get this from the Wiki.

Top Bottom