What's new

Bulgarian creams

What is going on in Bulgaria? Surely it is the winner in the greatest number of shave creams produced in any country, the vast majority of which get good to excellent reviews.
I thought I'd share what I've gleaned from various bulletin boards (including this one of course).
Apparently the 3 best sellers are:

1. Kapo Classic/Fresh/Sensitive (made by Alen Mak). "ALEN MAK Bulgaria EAD is a cosmetic and perfumery company, offering products under some of the most popular and loved brands not only in Bulgaria, but also in the countries from the ex Soviet Union. Over the years through our beloved products we take care for your beauty, a feeling of comfort and well-being. In our business we are guided by our 6 main corporate values: -against animal testing; -"for" fair trading; -"for" good self-esteem; -"for" achieving the expectations of our customers and employees; -"for" defending human rights; -"for" the protection of the environment. We believe that the business has the power to bring change to the good and through their actions are trying to serve as an example of this philosophy."
  2. Viking (http://www.aroma.bg/en/) Sensitive/Normal, both mentholated. "AROMA has adopted a multi-level approach, including: Natural ingredients added; Low cellulose cartons are used for the individual and group packaging of our products;" one factory in Sofia. Germany's hard discounter "Kaufland" sells something called Pascale Menthol, which is also manufactured by Aroma and gets great reviews, although menthol hard to identify!
  3. Top Ten: Normal (menthol) & Sensitive (with yarrow extract and allantoin) made by Rubella ("a lovely mixture of citrus/mint, and the lather is so rich, thick, and creamy...well-mentholated").
Others:
Biofresh: Many write of the great lathering capability of Rose of Bulgaria, but Biofresh also make Spatia, Pika (also called Nuka - advertised as containing menthol which noone seems to detect - but good lather with small quantity). Rose of Bulgaria and Herbs of Bulgaria are touted as having great lathering, but some describe the rose scent as more like cotton candy.
Fresh Up Cosmetics: Brands are Aspis Ice Rain (nice cooling effect, highly thought of "better than arko"), Kupa, Amigo. Also Super-Max Ultimate.
Lavena: Shaving Cream Icarus (also called Ikar?) and Addicto (not shown on website!)
Agressia: Shaving Cream: Fresh, Sensitive, Normal. A new company to the fray
Ventoni: Argo Neo shaving cream: silver/platinum/gold
THS Cosmetics: Adventure
Aroma, Sofia: Danubian Waves
STS Cosmetics: Compass: Ice Energy, Vital Comfort, Wild Power

Evterpa, Sofia: Menthol, Sensitive. The only reviews were that the smell was dreadful. Perhaps the only one to avoid?

Overall everyone reports two things consistently. Insanely cheap in Europe (wherever you can get them) and excellent lathering.
The second question is: whither the shaving soaps - why only creams?

Interested to get opinions on the above. Almost justifies a trip to Bulgaria (swinging by Turkey en route, to pick up some limon-kolonyasi, Dalan D'men, Derby, Arko....)

I am using Rose of Bulgaria cream more and more. Real rose scent is an ingredient, which is nice, and I don't get any hint of cotton-candy, but scent is the original YMMV. And the performance is outstanding, mounds of slick and thick lather in my bowl. The very pleasant aroma persists slightly, an added treat.

Should be D-I-O.
Cyrillic U is Latin I

Did a little search and found it is a small manufacturer of a variety of soaps and detergents. Noting major indeed.

Last edited:
I am using the Viking Sensitive Shave Cream. It'a one of my current favourites. The lather is amazing; super slick. It doesn't take much water. But the best part is a local store carries it for dirt cheap ~$3/100mL.

I would highly recommend.

imcndn

I am using the Viking Sensitive Shave Cream. It'a one of my current favourites. The lather is amazing; super slick. It doesn't take much water. But the best part is a local store carries it for dirt cheap ~$3/100mL.

imcndn

Gotta pick that up

Does any of these creams use lanolin? Does any of them use lanolin, glycerin and coconut oil in a single cream? I'm not saying creams need to check certain boxes on a list for them to be good, i believe in "if it works". However, i already have too much gear as it is. If it does have lanolin, especially containing "the magic 3" i am very willing to try it.

Last edited:
shaving cream kapo Classic 100ml
AQUA, STEARIC ACID, GLYCERIN, MYRISTIC ACID, POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE, COCAMIDE MEA, MENTHOL, SODIUM BORATE, BORIC ACID, PARFUM, BENZYL BENZOATE, COUMARIN, GERANIOL, LIMONENE, LINALOOL, ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE

shaving cream kapo Sensitive 100ml
AQUA, STEARIC ACID, GLYCERIN, MYRISTIC ACID, POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE, COCAMIDE MEA, PANTHENOL, PEG-8, TILIA CORDATA EXTRACT, DIAZOLIDINYL UREA, SODIUM BORATE, BORIC ACID, PARFUM, HYDROXYISOHE-XYL 3-CYCLOHEXENE, CARBOXALDENYDE, LIMONENE, LINALOOL, COUMARIN
shaving cream kapo Fresh 100ml
AQUA, STEARIC ACID, GLYCERIN, MYRISTIC ACID, POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE, COCAMIDE MEA, MENTHOL, SODIUM BORATE, BORIC ACID, PARFUM, BUTYLPHENYL METHYLPRO- PIONAL, LIMONENE, LINALOOL

VIKING SHAVING CREAM FOR SENSITIVE SKIN
AQUA, MYRISTIC ACID, STEARIC ACID, GLYCERIN, POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE, COCAMIDE MEA, SODIUM BORATE, BORIC ACID, MENTHOL, PARFUM, ALOE BARBADENSIS EXTRACT, LIMONENE

VIKING ACTIVE SHAVING CREAM FOR NORMAL SKIN
AQUA, MYRISTIC ACID, STEARIC ACID, GLYCERIN, POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE, COCAMIDE MEA, PARFUM, MENTOL, BORIC ACID, SODIUM BORATE, HYDROXYISOHEXYL 3-CYCLOHEXENE CARBOXALDEHYDE, LIMONENE, LINALOOL, COUMARIN

Thanks. You packed a lot of information in that post. And I'm also curious, what about soaps?
That's why I posed the question "whither the shaving soaps?".
It seems to be all about the creams in Bulgaria - I hadn't found a single soap.

I have used two of them, the Nuka and Rose of Bulgaria. Both are very good. The Nuko is a better value, but both are good inexpensive creams.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I am using Rose of Bulgaria cream more and more. Real rose scent is an ingredient, which is nice, and I don't get any hint of cotton-candy, but scent is the original YMMV. And the performance is outstanding, mounds of slick and thick lather in my bowl. The very pleasant aroma persists slightly, an added treat.

If I recall, Bulgaria is one of the world's biggest producers of rose oil.

+1 on Rose of Bulgaria! Great shave and a very natural rose scent---not too much "old rose" essence. Its a decent buy, too.

imcndn

Which local store is that? I would love to pick some up....

I have five Bulgarian creams & IMO they are the best there is. A few are equal or close, but none are better IMO.

The Evterpa cream is the worst of all the Bulgarian creams I've used. It reeks and it has no real skin protection, although I must admit that it lathers very, very well. I don't like the Karo Fresh either but the Evterpa is horrific.

There is also Kypa and Kypa fresh which i like very much.
I Like Rose of Bulgaria but i also like Herbs of Bulgaria which is mild scented.
Top ten has a sticky feel and is nice enaiugh as is viking.
I have seen argo neo locally but i did not reach any of the tubes found.They seemed cheap and bad to me!

Top Bottom