What's new

Brylcreem

I use Brylcreem daily too. Just a tiny, tiny bit on my thinning short hair adds a touch of control and shine. It leaves my hair soft and silky feeling and not at all greasy.

proxy.php

I bought some Brylcreem recently but even a little dab was too much. I went back to a couple drops of mineral oil scented with a little Old Spice. All I really wanted was a bit of sheen. I may try coconut oil instead based on what I've read about it. Might try Groom & Clean too. Been years since I used it.

Last edited:
I use Brylcreem daily too. Just a tiny, tiny bit on my thinning short hair adds a touch of control and shine. It leaves my hair soft and silky feeling and not at all greasy.

Yep me too. My hair is thinning a bit on top. I can't get it cut too short on the sides because it just sticks straight out. So I find just a tiny dab of Brylcreem rubbed in keeps the frizzies down. I always use it after a good application of hair tonic. I have a few different hair tonics that I love, but I always follow with a tiny dab of Brylcreem. If I want a particularly clean cut look with good hold I will use a bit of pomade. Usually Hairgum Legend. I have never had the chance to try the Groom and Clean or any of the others. There seems to be a pretty limited selection of Brylcreem-type products around here.

I cannot get much success out of brylcreem. I try to brush my hair back while using it and it just gets floppy. Then, it falls forward. I have about 3/4 of a tube that stares at me every morning. I want it to use it and have it work, but I know it will make me look weird. ANy tips for success with the stuff?

I bought some Brylcreem recently but even a little dab was too much. I went back to a couple drops of mineral oil scented with a little Old Spice. All I really wanted was a bit of sheen. I may try coconut oil instead based on what I've read about it. Might try Groom & Clean too. Been years since I used it.

Groom and Clean has a firmer hold than Brylcreem and has a slightly duller shine. If you just want a little shine you can just use a couple drops of olive oil, coconut oil or jojoba oil, which will be cheaper for ya!

Now this is funny - I buy a tube of Brylcreem this morning for the first time on a whim and now I see this thread! So far, I'm loving it. I've always used Jeris (without oil), but my hair is very thick and straight and Jeris just doesn't give me the hold I want. I love the scent though.

So far this Brylcreem is working great. I put it on 10 hours ago and my hair is still nicely styled with a nice, non-greasy gloss. The one complaint I have is the smell - not horrible, but not particularly pleasant.

I'm 22 years old and use Brylcreem every day!

When I first got into this wet shaving stuff, I started to develop a mentality that every part of my day that could be improved, should be improved! (I think I share this mentality with a lot of gents on the boards here) So I ditched the gels and found Brylcreem worked best for my thick curly hair.

Keep the Brylcreem love alive! I want to be able to go to a local convenience store / grocery and still be able to find it!

I tried Brylcreem but too greasy. Switched to Groom & Clean which works well. Recently tried Pinaud Clubman for a goof. More hold than G&C. Both good stuff.

I tried Brylcreem but too greasy.

That's the problem I have with Brylcreem and everything else I've tried. The only thing I've ever been able to tolerate on my hair is the Master Well Comb. Oh, and I once had a clay-type pomade that I liked, but it was sold to hairdressers only and mine stopped carrying it.

I bought this stuff a long time ago but I just couldn't see what all the fuss was about. After reading this, I may have to give this another try.

Alright gents, I tried the stuff this morning and outside of the smell, I think this may be a good product for me. That being said, what gives the cream it's hold? It's oily which helps with shine and calming down the frizz, but I don't understand how it provides hold and control? I have very stubborn hair and usually require a strong product to reach the design I want.

[/URL]
This gentleman is the reason I used Brylcreem, although I shall never look half as dapper as him - the late, great Jeremy Brett.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've recently been trying coconut oil and I like it. It's helped with my dry scalp and I like the way my hair looks and feels with it. Just use a very small amount. It's dirt cheap too.

I typically use dax pomade and comb my hair into what I call a "mini pomp" with only about 2" of height in the front. But on days when I'm short on time, I use brylcream or groom & clean and just comb my hair with my fingers. It works great.

I have both Brylcream and Groom & Clean as my new hair products.

I've been using a dab of Brylcream everyday after I get out of the shower. I mix it in my hands and rub it though my hair. If I'm going out somewhere and I need to dress things up more i still use it but I use some hair wax to flip the front tips of my hair up.

I tried the Groom & Clean but it seems to make my hair look a bit greasy and my wife likes the smell and feel of the Brylcream much more.

Brylcream was the only stuff that was giving me control of my long hair a few years back, I haven't used it since I long cut my hair. I miss my long hair..

Last edited:
Top Bottom