What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

Open comb razors are overly aggressive, unsanitary monster from a bygone era! They are nick and cut machines!!

Why do you think they went away? The open comb does nothing but lead to lost and bent teeth! Nothing but trouble.

Bah! Terrible, ugly razors, that don't shave worth a darn. Not suited to modern blades. Unsightly. Uncouth.

(Did the demand drop down to normal on the BST yet? You Open Comb Brotherhood guys aren't exactly helping with prices on these great razors, y'know.)

Lmao off!! at first we tried to convince everyone how terrible open combs razors are...and that they should quickly send them to us....but everyone seen right through us..
View attachment 231215

Just PM'ed for membership.

My last two purchases have been open combs.
First, in order to participate in OC March, I picked up a Ball Handle Old-Type off the 'bay. It had a "nice patina". Soaking and scrubbing took care of that. I loved it so much I knew I had to try a NEW.
Next, I got a LC common bar-handled NEW. Same deal with soaking and scrubbing to get rid of the verdigris, mostly between the teeth on this one. It has possibly usurped the Old as my favorite razor.

My evolution of choices in DE razors seemingly has went backwards in time. Merkur HD. '40s SuperSpeeds. Ball-handle Tech (rectangular slots). Ball-handle Tech (triangular slots). Then to the Old-type and now the NEW. My preference in type has went from 2 piece to 1 piece (TTO) to 3 piece.

There will also be the need for subcommittees (OC rescue groups, OC restoration teams, etc.) as well as volunteer experimental groups.
Oh yes, these are my OC's:
-Tuckaway
-Crierion NEW Deluxe
-Big Fellow
-ABC+old type head Frankenrazor
-NEW long-comb
-Senator

Last edited:
Hello from a BOTOC member!

As a fan of the open comb design, I couldn't resist joining the Brotherhood.

I am the proud owner of 2x Gillette short-comb news, Mühle R41 2010 & 2011, FaTip and OCMM.
My Holy Grail razor (as mentioned in another thread) is the British Gillette #15 and I'm on the trail of my grail, pending wifely approval! :ouch1::a53:

How long have you been collecting Ras?

Since 2008. I amassed my empire in about 1 - 2 years (collected very heavily), but I don't buy much nowadays. At one point I had about 250 razors, but have since trimmed it down to a "tight" 121.

Since 2008. I amassed my empire in about 1 - 2 years (collected very heavily), but I don't buy much nowadays. At one point I had about 250 razors, but have since trimmed it down to a "tight" 121.

WOW! I don't even want to ask how much you have invested!! LOL! Would love to see some more examples of your fine open combs in this thread...

:ouch1::ouch1::ouch1::badger::badger::badger:

Here is one of my more unique razors -- sterling silver New Improved with a telescoping handle. These were sold by jewelry stores like Tiffany and Co. and Gorham (as well as others, I'm sure). I'm not sure where my set came from because I have yet to make a match with the hallmark.

The lid is inlaid with 14k gold.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have NEVER seen that razor...wow...looks like sliver plating...gorgeous

Here in Jacksonville we have a Tiffany's at the St. johns Town center..too bad they don't sell these any longer!!

Here is one of my more unique razors -- sterling silver New Improved with a telescoping handle. These were sold by jewelry stores like Tiffany and Co. and Gorham (as well as others, I'm sure). I'm not sure where my set came from because I have yet to make a match with the hallmark.

The lid is inlaid with 14k gold.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Would love to see some more examples of your fine open combs in this thread...

You're opening Pandora's box now because I love to show off my wares. Okay, just a few more and I'll leave some space for others.

My former Big Fellow and Big Boy line up. I have since sold the duplicate Old Type Big Fellow and a chromium Big Boy to finance some other expenditures.

proxy.php

proxy.php

My Military Set. Another highly coveted piece in my collection.

proxy.php

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Well, I see that the Long March has garnered some OC converts - but there is another week to go! Think I have more than a week of Opens left to use ..

I actuallt just own one OC. It's a user grade brassed up SC NEW. It took me a while to dare trying it out, but when I did it jumped straight up to nr.1 in my humble razor collection. I'm sure most of you have more open combs than I have razors, but I'm still a big fan of mine. I have actually wondered about selling all my other DE's to finace a replating of my NEW. It's just that good and it's almost all I've used since I tried it for the first time a month or so ago.

I shaved with my user-grade short-combed New with common bar handle for the first time this morning. I bought it last week on B/S/T for a very fair price, and I cleaned it up and polished it last night. The gold wash is long gone, but it shaves like a dream.

PM'd JB for membership. Only have a Fatip and 2010 Muhle but hope for some older OC soon (had a Sheraton but it was too mild although nice). Great shaves from OC razors.

I actuallt just own one OC. It's a user grade brassed up SC NEW. It took me a while to dare trying it out, but when I did it jumped straight up to nr.1 in my humble razor collection. I'm sure most of you have more open combs than I have razors, but I'm still a big fan of mine. I have actually wondered about selling all my other DE's to finace a replating of my NEW. It's just that good and it's almost all I've used since I tried it for the first time a month or so ago.

My brother, doesn't matter if you have One or 45..if you love the open comb you too can be a Brother of the Open Comb!

Top Bottom