What's new

bodum caffetiera vs chambord

linty1

My wallet cries.
Hello, looking for a method to make a cup of coffee at work, finally settled on the hario paperless pourover cone.. doesn't need a supply of filters, easy to clean, low number of movable/cleaning peices seemed to check off all the boxes. But I'm having trouble getting consistant brews, the kettle we have at work has a fat/drippingspout and I don't want to buy a gooseneck just for work. Have sorta casually looking at other brewing methods, an aeropress I already have sorta want a little variety, french presses seem to be good... what's the difference between the bodum caffeteria and chambord line of presses? A google search reveals little/nothing.

Consider getting a cheap measuring cup with a good spout. Pour water from the kettle at work into the measuring cup, and control your pour from there?
On the other hand, if you're just looking to support an equipment acquisition disorder, there is nothing wrong with that! :thumbup1:

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I think the main difference between the two is that the Caffeteria has the tight fitting lid (in different colors), and the Chambord may have tougher glass.

In any case, I always recommend a stainless French press. The fiat time you break a glass one, you'll wish you spent the money.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Thanks Texlaw,

I borrowed a French press from a colleague and was just going to try it out the next few days, but the problem is I have medium-fine preground (bought in small batches) only.... so may be shorten the steep time to around 2 minutes and try?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Thanks Texlaw,

I borrowed a French press from a colleague and was just going to try it out the next few days, but the problem is I have medium-fine preground (bought in small batches) only.... so may be shorten the steep time to around 2 minutes and try?

Yes, you could give that a shot. If it's not too difficult, you also could try a cooler infusion for a longer period (for example, 190 for 4 minutes, but I'm just throwing it out there). Half the fun is playing around with times and temperatures and coffee/water ratios and seeing what happens. The worst thing that happens at the end of any experiment is coffee, so it can't be all that bad.

Thanks Texlaw,

If you like the French press method and want more flexibility about which grind can be used (including preground auto-drip) the Presse is a good solution (amazon link). The Presse was formally known as the "Impress Coffee Brewer by Gamila" before it was sold by the original company. It recommends using medium drip grind, though its filter mesh is quite fine and would easily handle a medium-fine grind. And the insulted brew chamber works quite well, almost too well to press and drink from the same device as it is designed to handle.

I've found that not much in the way of fines gets though the mesh in my Columbia.

proxy.php

linty1

My wallet cries.
*gasp* Folgers preground coffee? I tease I tease! Thanks for all the good info, I left the press at work but will give it a whirl on Monday and see how it goes.

*gasp* Folgers preground coffee? I tease I tease! Thanks for all the good info, I left the press at work but will give it a whirl on Monday and see how it goes.

That was from my "coffee wall of shame" post a year or so ago when I was upgrading my coffee roaster and had to resort to Folgers for a week :lol:

linty1

My wallet cries.
Hving said that, the empty container are quite sturdy eh? I have one full of odd nail sizes in the garage.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Finally got back to work today (lol didn't think I'd be so eager to go back) to try out the French Press... things went.. messily. I bloomed the grounds, and proceeded to put the lid on to steep. 3 minutes later, I go to plunge... some resistance (but I don't really know what's what as it's my first time with a press)... and about half way through my plunge, the coffee explodes up and out. Ouch. Clean up and taste... it's amazing. So what happened here? I'm guessing it's because my medium fine grind was too fine and created a seal/buildup in pressure... so what's the solution?

A thought, do I really need to press all the way down? If I say pressed halfway and just poured, the filter would still do its job, sorta like a gaiwan does no?

But good coffee though...

I don't know about Ontario but, around where I live it is pretty easy to go to a 'grocery' store and grind your own whole beans from whatever questionable stuff they have in the barrel or on display in the bins.

You may have created a seal, especially if you are using a type of press that has a silicone gasket around the edge of pot. If you press down a little more slowly that should provide enough time to let the water to filter through without creating a mess. I would not recommend pressing halfway as that just means you would be wasting too much coffee, assuming you were only pouring off the top.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I shall try that. I think I read somewhere to try pulling up and replunging to try and clear the seal as well.

I don't know about Ontario but, around where I live it is pretty easy to go to a 'grocery' store and grind your own whole beans from whatever questionable stuff they have in the barrel or on display in the bins.

Yes, I have an old bag I wanted to finish first.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
With that finer grind, you'll probably need to press down fairly slowly. It'll be worth the effort.

Top Bottom