What's new

Bloody Straights! A journal.

Good work. I appreciate posts 85 and 86, as you strive for better honing and fewer passes. One question: What's the trick to putting paper under lapping film? Are you still using water to hold everything down? I tried it once, but the paper curled and I never got anything near flat. I'm missing a detail someplace.

I cut the paper just slightly smaller than the film. Then I wet my plate, put the paper down and then roll it flat with a straight-sided glass. Then I spray some water on the paper, lay the film over top and roll that as well. Then a spray of water on the film and hone. I've only honed twice (both with film) but had no problems with curling paper doing it as I've described.

I cut the paper just slightly smaller than the film. Then I wet my plate, put the paper down and then roll it flat with a straight-sided glass. Then I spray some water on the paper, lay the film over top and roll that as well. Then a spray of water on the film and hone. I've only honed twice (both with film) but had no problems with curling paper doing it as I've described.

+1

Yep, that's how I do it. The paper underneath has to be slightly smaller and I also use water.

SHAVE 37: Filarmonica 13, 6/8, 1/4 Hollow
Date Honed: February 20, 2012
Hanging Hair Test: HHT3 (catch & pop)
Leather Strop (Pre, Post shave): 100, none

Closeness: 9.5
Comfort: 9.5

My goal is to determine if I like edge off 0.3 micron film - 0.1 micron Iron Ox - Leather strop or 1 micron film - 0.5 micron CrOx - Leather strop; it'll take me a couple of weeks to complete testing. I'll report here.

The razor wouldn't shave arm hair. This is how I honed it:

Ran edge on glass
Taped spine with 3M Super 88 Electrical tape12 micron: 60 plus laps until it could easily shave leg hair. Very sharp.
6 micron: 60 laps plus
3 micron: 60 laps plus
1 micron: 60 laps plus
CrOx: 40 laps
Strop leather: 100 laps

FIRST PASS (WTG): The razor felt smooth and just nice! Kept the skin taut, pressure, angle and consistency on both sides of the face were good. I am not sure if it was the razor or the heavier 1/4 hollow grind but the razor felt smooth.

SECOND PASS (WTG): Very nice. Kept the skin taut, angle and pressure were good. One nick when going over unlathered area repeatedly. Nick was sealed by the end of the shave.

THIRD PASS (ATG): The razor felt sharp and smooth.

FOUTH PASS (ATG): I broke a promise about not going over three passes but I really wanted to find a way to get a closer shave on the neck and below the jawline. One nick under the nose when I applied too much pressure.

Very nice shave overall. By the end of the shave the razor wouldn't pass HHT3. I have to admit I have't been consistent with the while performing the hanging hair test. Sometimes I use my own hair which is very coarse and sometimes I use my wife's hair which is finer. I also change the distance (unintentionally) of the hair and the blade.

SHAVE 38: Boker Damascus Magnetic Steel, 5/8 Full Hollow
Date Honed: February 2012
Hanging Hair Test: HHT4 (pop)
Leather Strop (Pre, Post shave): 50, none

Closeness: 9.75
Comfort: 8.5

FIRST PASS (WTG): Kept the skin taut, pressure and angle were good. Was consistent on both sides.

SECOND PASS (XTG): One nick on the jawline when I used too much pressure.

THIRD PASS (ATG): Not bad.

FOURTH PASS (ATG): I wanted to find a way to get a closer shave and I succeeded but at the expense of comfort. i tried a reverse grip on the neck. I almost had a BBS. I also had a couple of nicks but it was worth it. This razor is very sharp. It is the sharpest razor I have.

I am still learning about the HHT. Realized that this razor is at HHT4. I am unable to edit my previous post #93. The razor takes a great edge.

SHAVE 39: Nichiri Yaichi 13/16 Frame back
Date Honed: February 2012 by a pro
Hanging Hair Test: HHT4 (pop)
Leather Strop (Pre, Post shave): None, none

Comfort: 7.5

I continued trying different angles to get a closer shave on the neck. The razor was honed by another member with much more experience and didn't need to be stropped.

FIRST PASS (WTG) No problems. I kept the skin taut, pressure and angles were good. I was consistent on both sides of the face.

SECOND PASS (XTG) No problems. Save as above.

THIRD PASS (ATG) Wanted to try some new angles below the jawline and on neck. Paid the price in blood.

FOURTH PASS (ATG) More new angles trying to get BBS on the neck and paid the price again when I used too much pressure. Several small nicks and two weepers by the end of the shave and plenty of razor burn and irritation, all caused by using too much pressure and not keeping the skin taut.

The good news is that I realized that I am not that bad at honing. I could compare the edges I honed with someone with more experience. I know at least one of my razors is as sharp as this razor. I am also realizing most vintage well honed straight razors are capable of great shaves if honed properly. Tomorrow will be a three pass shave.

SHAVE 40: C-MON Blackie, 5/8 Full Hollow
Date Honed: February 2012 by me
Hanging Hair Test: HHT3 (catch & pop)

Comfort: 9

HONING
The razor could shave arm hair but wouldn't pass HHT3. Only the top 1/3 and bottom 1/3 would pass, not the middle. I wanted to set the bevel again. I honed it this way:

Taped the spine for the first time
12 micron probably 150 laps to set the bevel.
6 micron: 60 plus laps
3 micron: 60 plus laps
1 micron: 60 plus laps
CrOx: 20 laps
Leather strop: 50 laps.

SHAVE
FIRST PASS (WTG): No problems. Kept the skin, angle and pressure were good. No nicks.

SECOND PASS (XTG): At times I used too much pressure, hacking at the whiskers. No nicks.

THIRD PASS (ATG) Used too much pressure. At one point when I wiped the lather off the blade, it was pink but I don't know when or where I cut myself. Me thinks yesterday's uncomfortable shave was to blame. I did some touch up around the chin area.

A comfortable shave. The razor passed HHT3 post shave. Tomorrow I'll shave with a razor that I honed differently in order to compare edges finished on 1 micron film and CrOx versus 0.3 micron film and Iron Oxide.

Last edited:
SHAVE 41: Boker 20th Century, 5/8 Full Hollow
Hanging Hair Test: HHT3.5 (catch & pop)

This is the second shave with this razor since I touched up the edge with 0.3µ film (no paper underneath) and 0.1µ Iron Oxide on balsa. The ratings are identical to the first shave.

FIRST PASS (WTG): I used a piece of paper to help me stretch the skin instead of using alum block. I like the paper better. The razor felt smooth. No nicks.

SECOND PASS (XTG): No nicks. I was amazed by the smoothness of the razor.

THIRD PASS (ATG): I used too much pressure and didn't do a great job stretching the skin. One small nick on the jawline.

FOURTH PASS (touch up ATG): Used too much pressure. One small nick on the neck.

The razor passed HHT3 post shave. I am not 100% sure if it's the brand or my honing but I like the way this razor shaves.

I think the best way to compare different methods of honing is to use the same razor, which will take a long time because I don't want to intentionally dull the edge.

Last edited:
Great stuff noah. Giving me more honing progressions to try. I only have one razor right now but I'm going to do a touch-up this week; I'll see how it goes.

SHAVE 42: Filarmonica 13
Hanging Hair Test: HHT2 (split lengthwise)

Comfort: 9

FIRST PASS (WTG): Went well. Could feel the blade tug a bit. Kept the skin taut, pressure and angle were good. I noted that on certain areas on my neck the razor didn't shave/reduce any whiskers at all. This happens only during WTG pass and I am almost certain that it happens with all the razors. I think it has to do with the whiskers growing flat and close to the skin.

SECOND PASS (XTG): Pulling and tugging. One small nick.

THRID PASS & TOUCH UP (ATG): More pulling and tugging. Razor burn and irritation. A couple of small nicks on the neck.

I shouldn't have shaved with this razor because it only passed HHT2. So far I like edges off of 0.3 micron and 0.1 micron Iron Oxide because they're sharper and they last longer than edges finished with 1 micron and 0.5 micron CrOx. I had small nicks that sealed after the cold water rinse but there was plenty of razor burn.

Last edited:
SHAVE 43: Boker Damascus Steel, 5/8 Half Hollow
Hanging Hair Test: HHT4 (pop), HTT3 (catch & pop)

FIRST PASS (WTG): Nice and easy because the razor felt sharp. Need to figure how to improve beard reduction during the first pass.

SECOND PASS (XTG): Very nice. No nicks. Some tugging on the neck and jawline.

THRID PASS & TOUCH UP (ATG): Probably the best ATG pass.

One of the best shaves. No nicks. Sharpest razor I have. Edge dulled to HHT3 after the shave.

I am impressed with Boker razors. Both of mine take a nice edge easily.

Last edited:
I look forward to reading about which edge you prefer.

I hope to do a touch-up tomorrow. I won't try to tape any spines as I would have to reset the bevel on my one and only razor. Just looking at what you have done to get good results and try to mimic it. I'll post my results in my journal. Keep up the great work noah, still enjoying the read.

I know this is late in this particular post: RE - The skin taut issue ... maybe as you are learning a straight, you could lather up just part of your face so your free hand has plenty of area to grip lather-free? Just a thought.

I hope to do a touch-up tomorrow. I won't try to tape any spines as I would have to reset the bevel on my one and only razor. Just looking at what you have done to get good results and try to mimic it. I'll post my results in my journal. Keep up the great work noah, still enjoying the read.

Noah--You're doing a great job both with straights and with this journal

Thanks guys!

I know this is late in this particular post: RE - The skin taut issue ... maybe as you are learning a straight, you could lather up just part of your face so your free hand has plenty of area to grip lather-free? Just a thought.

It's never late :) I am not sure why I haven't tried lathering in sections. I've used TP for grip while keeping the skin taut and it works well; I like it better than alum block. I am sure a small piece of cloth will work better. For some reason on the second and third pass (XTG, ATG) my technique declines. I think it has to do with trying to get the perfect shave too soon.

Good stuff, Noah! When I go to sharpen my Dovo later today, I think I will tape the spine because of what you are doing. I am sure the tape slightly changes the bevel angle. I am also now thinking I need to get into the pastes, due to your results.

Good stuff, Noah! When I go to sharpen my Dovo later today, I think I will tape the spine because of what you are doing. I am sure the tape slightly changes the bevel angle. I am also now thinking I need to get into the pastes, due to your results.

Thanks. What's your hone setup? I hone on lapping films and have CrOx and Iron Oxide on balsa.

Top Bottom