What's new

Blades not lasting

I don't know that technique effects how long a blade will last. If you have peach fuzz that the cat can lick off your blade will last a long time. If you have a course whiskers the blade edge will degrade a lot faster. If you are wiping the edge of the blade that can effect the edge also.
What's the deal with wiping the blades after shaving ?

I have pretty coarse facial hair. The first shave is always the best for me. The second is usually okay, and by the third I'm pushing it, so you're not alone in this.

When I was using disposables or even when I use cartridges while traveling, it's the same thing. Some people just have very wiry hair that easily chews through blades.

I have pretty coarse facial hair. The first shave is always the best for me. The second is usually okay, and by the third I'm pushing it, so you're not alone in this.

When I was using disposables or even when I use cartridges while traveling, it's the same thing. Some people just have very wiry hair that easily chews through blades.
I'm one with that wiry hair. Plus I go 2-3 days between shaves, making some fairly tough stubble. Last night was my second shave on my current blade. It started pulling toward the end on 2 days of growth. If I shaved daily, I'd probably get a blade to last longer, but my skin has been too sensitive in the past. At least when cart shaving. Maybe I'll try to shave again tonight to see how my neck reacts.

I don't know that technique effects how long a blade will last. If you have peach fuzz that the cat can lick off your blade will last a long time. If you have a course whiskers the blade edge will degrade a lot faster. If you are wiping the edge of the blade that can effect the edge also.

I agree...

+1

There are some magical and totally inexplicable things happening in wet shaving. For example, when I first started shaving my blades would have brown rust spots on them after a couple of days on the razor. I was thoroughly puzzled at this and even posted it here hoping for a sensible answer that never came. The strange phenomenon stopped after a couple of months! As strangely as it had appeared. Another weird thing that also stopped was what you're experiencing. I also couldn't squeeze more than 2-3 shaves out of a blade (Persona, Shark, Feather, Astor, Gillette 7 and more!), suddenly now, I can! I change my blade in 4-5 or 6 shaves and I think I just do it because it's cheap, not because I really need to. I can't explain any of these things, but they happen.

There are some magical and totally inexplicable things happening in wet shaving. For example, when I first started shaving my blades would have brown rust spots on them after a couple of days on the razor. I was thoroughly puzzled at this and even posted it here hoping for a sensible answer that never came. The strange phenomenon stopped after a couple of months! As strangely as it had appeared. Another weird thing that also stopped was what you're experiencing. I also couldn't squeeze more than 2-3 shaves out of a blade (Persona, Shark, Feather, Astor, Gillette 7 and more!), suddenly now, I can! I change my blade in 4-5 or 6 shaves and I think I just do it because it's cheap, not because I really need to. I can't explain any of these things, but they happen.
Time will tell..

hey two shaves is normal, most of them are too dull by then to provide maximum performance in a timely manner. 90% of blades I only use once

This is not a competition. We can all shave in the manor we want to. I would suggest you use the blade as many times as you want to; then toss it. I toss the blade as soon as it starts to tug.

Since I tend to buy 100 blades at a time; the cost of the blades I buy are usually 8 to 20 cents each. As such, I really don't feel the need to use a blade a bunch of times. (Whereas I felt that way when I was using cartridges; since they were so expensive).

Enjoy!

Life's too short to suffer through uncomfortable shaves. If prep and technique doesn't make a difference and fresh blades do, then change up and try a couple different brands.

Top Bottom