What's new

Blade disposal

Just for fun - I thought I'd 3D print a disposal box. A new problem for me as when I started I used Derby blades!! Now I've moved on a new solution was needed. I should get 2-3 months worth per box!!!

What do others use!!

proxy.php

This is my blade bank. After almost a year it is not even 1/4 filled. It only cost me a couple of bucks at the Wally-Mart.

$blade_bank2.jpg$blade_bank1.jpg

$IMG_1858.jpg

An old prescription pill container. Five months of used blades,
and still plenty of room. When it's full, I'll tape it up, toss it, and
start a new one. Cheap (no cost at all), easy, and efficient.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have also 3D printed a blade bank. It is a bit larger. I've had it over a year and there is still a little bit of room in there.

$IMG_0380.jpg

My method as well. When I donate blood, go to the doctor's lab, stop by a pharmacy or, no kidding, go to Cabela's, each place has a sharps disposal. Et voila, I dispose of the box(es) of used blades. Safe, sanitary, and cheap (free at the blood donation, otherwise I'm spending some $$$).
I use the paper box the blades come in.

I picked up a Sharps container at Sally's Beauty. It's also for my wife's multi-blade heads, as she'd been chunking them straight into the trash can.

I didn't want a large container taking up space in a small bathroom so I bought a Feather blade disposal tin.. only cost a couple of bucks. Doesn't take up much room and is completely sealed. Has lasted me about 12 months so far. When it's full I have a empty Keen's curry spice tin to use in it's place.

Not only do I go through blades with the shaving, I also use a lot of boxcutter type blades. I take an old soup can and put a couple of strips of duct tape across the top leaving a small slit to drop blades through. I'll hit it with a little bright paint and write Danger on the side with a paint marker. It stays in a safe spot in my workshop.

Thought about a blade bank, however most blade containers have a slot at the back which securely holds used blades. Holds quite a few blades worth, so I just put a container to one side and use the disposal slot on that until full.

i use a sharps container. i did see on the Van der Hagen website a blade recycle program. ship your used blades to them and they'll give you 5 blades for every five packs you send them. I didn't see that they had to be VDH blades.

View attachment 716506

An old prescription pill container. Five months of used blades,
and still plenty of room. When it's full, I'll tape it up, toss it, and
start a new one. Cheap (no cost at all), easy, and efficient.

I use a prescription pill bottle as well. but when it's full, I dump the contents into the sharps disposal container at our local police station.

Top Bottom