What's new

Blade Comparison Test: Gillette Nacet and Astra SP

Blade Comparison Test: Gillette Nacet and Astra Super Platinum.
Each blade in a Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Bakelite Slant.

The PAA Bakelite Slant is an interesting and increasingly popular slant bar razor. However, it appears to be one of those razors that's a little blade fussy. So I've been testing a series of blades in it. I do the same shave prep, shave one half or my face with one blade, the other half with the other blade.

The Blades:
The Gillette Nacet is a newer blade for me, but I have now tried it in a number of razors including my RazoRock Wunderbar slant, and it seems to me to be a very good blade, that pairs well with a number of razors. It gives close, comfortable shaves. I'm not sure whether it will last as long a the Posilver Super Iridiums that I easily get 15 shaves from, (and even up to thirty if I push it!) but it is a solid blade.

I've used the Astra SP for a few years, and in every razor I have own, at different times. It's always a solid, reliable blade. Not always the sharpest, or longest lasting but very smooth. It's also invariable cheap to buy.

Shave Prep:
I always wash my face and soften my beard with two washes in very warm water with a glycerin soap. Then I use a pre-shave oil. For all my tests, for consistency, I use an Arko shave stick and my Stirling Kong synthetic brush.

The Shave:
Both blades on a three pass shave produced a very good ,close shave that lasted over 13 hours. But I have to say that the Astra SP, to my surprise, was smoother and more efficient, in the PAA Bakelite slant. It was more comfortable ATG than the Nacet also.

I'm not saying the Astra SP is always a better blade. However, if you use the PAA Bakelite slant I think you will find it pairs with the Astra SP very well. This combination of low cost, the Asta blades are cheap and readily available, and the PAA Bakelite Slant is only $19.95, may make this a strong contender as a low cost, lightweight travel razor.

Two EXCELLENT blades IMO! :a21::a21:
Yes, agreed. I'm not sure how long the Nacet lasts compared to my long lasting and excellent Polsilver Super Iridium blades, but the Nacet is nice. The Astra seems to work better in this razor though.

Yes, agreed. I'm not sure how long the Nacet lasts compared to my long lasting and excellent Polsilver Super Iridium blades, but the Nacet is nice. The Astra seems to work better in this razor though.
I can get 20 smooth BBS face and head shaves from all three, I've only taken the Polsilver SI further, 29, with a change to a more aggressive razor. The other two may be able to go further as well with the razor change.

I can get 20 smooth BBS face and head shaves from all three, I've only taken the Polsilver SI further, 29, with a change to a more aggressive razor. The other two may be able to go further as well with the razor change.
Thanks for your comment. Very interesting. I have gotten 30 BBS shaves from the Polsilver Super Iridium, and it still performed well, but I have never gotten close to 20 with an Astra, only up to eight shaves, and it was performing poorly then. I get about 15 from a SuperMax Super Platinum, but I believe that blade is no longer available. Also, it seems to result in more weepers than any other blade I've tried, regardless of razor, and I don't know why!
The SuperMax Platinum is a lower grade blade in my opinion following tests. Not worth buying.
Why do you think you get so many shaves from blades?
By the way, I always take the blade out of the razor, clean and dry it, and store it in a dry place. An unhygienic practice to leave a blade in a razor in my opinion. Of course, I clean the razor itself too. I soak all the razors I have used in Barbicide one a month. I have 25 razors in my regular rotation, and I own 29 more most of the latter I use at least once every six months, except the display only ones.
Some blades don't last long I find; for example, the Rapira Stainless in the pink and blue packaging. Smooth for the first shave, not much use after that. I consider it a barber's blade, where it works well, briefly and is cheap enough to toss after one use. Here in CT barbers who use a half blade in a shavette have to throw it away after each customer it's used on.
I like the Rapira Platinum Lux, but I find it hard to get it beyond about five shaves, then it loses efficiency. The Nacet seems to be well liked.
What's your opinion of the other Gillette blades, eg. the 7 O'Clock, the GSB, etc?
Personna is smoothe and efficient in some razors, and I think Jim Chandler gets a lot of shaves from Personna. Croma pairs well in some and is very rough in others. Similarly Baili. Are the Baili and the Personna really identical?! Id doesn't feel that way to me. I've never found Vokshod that efficient, or long lasting, though they are smooth.
What's your opinion of the fabled Feather blades? Have you tried Wilkinson Sword, German or otherwise?
My beard is fast growing and coarse. What about yours?

I see some people test blades and razors on YouTube and they have very light beards. I laugh when they say they have "three days growth"! Lucky men! When I used to shave with a very good Braun electric razor, after three days I had a beard! Even now with a BBS shave after 24 hours I can't go to a business meeting without a shave.
I have extended blade life by swapping to a more aggressive razor too.
The surprise here is that the PAA Bakelite Slant really likes the Astra SP so much. I personally prefer razors that are generally less blade fussy. With my amazing RazoRock Wunderbar slant, I think I can get a very good shave with almost any blade. It's the most efficient razor I own. So far, only my Mergress is close. The Muhle R41 is aggrsssive, but in my opinion it's been surpassed by some of the newer razors coming out.
By the way, if others are reading this please chime in. I value hearing about other's experience.

@NDM63

Why do you think you get so many shaves from blades?

I only use razors that support the blade fully with the baseplate. For example, the Old Type, NEW SC, Postwar Tech, TTO's('50 or earlier for me), Slim or Fatboy. They all have the most rigidity over the prewar Tech, NEW LC, Deluxe, RFB, and pretty much any other Gillette. With the razors I use, all shaves are smooth from start to finish.

I flip the blade everyday. A blade is on average .004" thick, after so many shaves, the edge will bend to a point where it is no longer efficient. I got about 34 face shaves out of an Astra without flipping the blade. I flipped the blade every other day, I got 60 face shaves.

I would only get about 12 face and head shaves from one Astra, and would easily get 20 face and head shaves flipping it everyday.

Other than that, I wash my face and head with Neutrogena bar face soap before getting out of the shower and apply my homemade preshave oil. This month, I've been using VDH Deluxe with about 7 drops of glycerin. Before that, I had Proraso Vitamin E and aloe added to the mix.

What's your opinion of the other Gillette blades, eg. the 7 O'Clock, the GSB, etc?

The last GSB I used fell off after about 10 or 11 face and head shaves. Same with Feathers. Never used 7 O'clock blades.

I use Astra SP or SS, Nacet, Feather, Polsilver SI, GSB. Derby's are not good blades for me. I have others I need to try.

GSB would fall off after about 21 shaves for face only shaves no flip. I haven't tested one for face only after I started flipping the blade.

Are the Baili and the Personna really identical?!

I've never used these.

What's your opinion of the fabled Feather blades? Have you tried Wilkinson Sword, German or otherwise?
My beard is fast growing and coarse. What about yours?

Feathers fall off pretty quick. I have England made Wilkinson Sword, I used one for seven shaves and stopped, found it to be extremely smooth but not very sharp. I'll use one again at some point.

I was able to hit 20 face and head shaves with a Nacet before having to move it to a more aggressive razor, I opted to bin it though.

Not crazy about BIC Chrome Platinum blades.

I would say my beard is medium with coarse areas, my chin and above my lip.
From your description, not as coarse as yours, but not all that light either. I have a full head of hair (not balding), blades have proven to last half long for head only shaves than face only shaves. I only use one blade for both now though.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited:
Are the Baili and the Personna really identical?!

There are two Baili Super Blue Blades

Old production, made by ASR in America for Baili. Excellent blade, I found them identical to American made Personnas. Hard to find. Notice the red spot on the pakaging.

proxy.php

Then there are the new production Super Blues. Made in China by Baili. Good blades. Smooth but not as sharp as the old production ASR-made blades. Very different blade. Easy to find.

proxy.php

Top Bottom