What's new

"best" shaving cream

I'm with Turtle, talking dollar for dollar cream comparison, it's hard to beat KMF lineup....cheap, locally available, and lathers into thick creamy and slick lather.

I don't know why there aren't more votes for Al's Bomb, QCS, and Razorock. These are all a bit more like "croaps," but I think they qualify and are second to none in terms of price, quality, and scents. AOS is great, but why not support smaller companies with outstanding customer service and cheaper prices?

Ok from where I sit, a good all rounder cream that will get a lot of consensus is Proraso Green, can't go wrong with it, I use it in a regular rotation.

If we are getting into recently re-formulated products the red-cap Erasmic cream works about as well as Arko (both are great creams). I didn't mention Erasmic cream because it was recently re-formulated and I haven't tried the new product (which has a black cap). Proraso is in a similar situation, I have used and like the old tub formulation but haven't tried the new one yet. I haven't tried the tube version of Proraso/CO Bigelow, however.

I'm still trying creams, but my standard go-to cream is CO Bigelow. I use Tabac for my SWMBO ( it's a great product; I don't like the Tabac smell), I like Arko and Lord and the Trufitt & Hill samples I have have been great. After reading about it, I have been disappointed by La Toja Hidrotermal. It's o-kay but just not as good for me as C.O.B. or Tabac--the lather isn't as good.

Of the creams I've tried,
Trumpers (Sandalwood) cream is the most slippery - my face is still slippery after rinsing it post shaving.
Crabtree& Evelyn Nomad cream - almost as slippery as Trumpers
Erasmic cream - slippery, but not as slippery as Crabtree&Evelyn

"Shave" an Australian cream, not that slippery. Worked okay though.
Arko Regular cream - not that slippery, left me with lots of nicks. I wasn't happy.
Dr.Lewinn's shave cream - near useless on me, but had medicated ingredients to sooth the many nicks I got from using it.
Regards,
Renato

So far, for me, it's been the Queen Charlotte creams...I recently used a bit of the Basilica sample I got while trying to work my way through a tub of Proraso, and had just a delightful, lathery, moisturizing shave. QCS creams are my top choice.

For me, it's all about performance. I can easily achieve a perfect BBS with Proraso Green, tub or tube. From that point on, the Law of Diminishing Returns comes into play. I can buy a fancy cream, at 5 times the price (or more) than my Proraso, but the BBS shave it gives me will not be one iota better than my Proraso shave. Therefore, why spend all that extra money, for the exact same result? Just to smell prettier? That logic doesn't work for me. I will say, however, that in the interests of variety, I have purchased 2 other economical creams that I very much like as well. J.M. Fraser's, and Body Shop Macca Root (which they have on sale very frequently). I also received a tube of Crabtree & Evelyn "Nomad" as a gift. It is also a very fine cream. But do any of these other creams make my BBS any better than my Proraso BBS? No.

Castle Forbes Lime
Blenheim Bouquet
Fitjarsoap Folgefonn
Dr. Harris Arlington

and I always have the cheap but excellent Proraso Green, now better than ever.

Top Bottom