What's new

Best safety razor for beginner (price is not an issue)

I started with a 40's style Superspeed that was given to me by a member here. It is still one of my favorite razors. I will be picking up one this year to give to my brother when he turns 15. You really cant go wrong with that razor. sure, you might buy other razors down the line, i have, but you will never stop appreciating the Superspeed.

I started with a DE89. Spend $45 on it...sure its a great razor, but rarely gets any use these days...which frankly isn't that long into the journey. I'm routinely using my R41, FaTip and even straights now. Here is the bottom line: Just buy one. Some on this board make it seem like its a daunting task. It's not. I wish I had bought my first razor for $1! Heed his advice!

You can research these all to death and it can be more daunting than the task. There's a well respected member, turtle, who specifically states he uses everything from Techs, Slants, Open Combs & Straights and can get a bbs shave from them all. It's your technique that matters. Get what appeals to you. If I'd done that from the beginning, I would've bought the R41 and would probably only have 1 razor....well, except for the straights.

This is shaving, not brain surgery.
Agree and I see no reason why a Newb can't start out with a slant or smooth open comb such as the LC New.

Gus/BOTOC/Arkolyte

When money is not an issue,... does this mean you want drop some serious coin? Hahaha... if you are just starting, wait,... you'll see your collection grow (soaps, creams, brushes, etc...). I think the two you mentioned are great starters. That being said, if money is not an issue, buy both! Afterwards, if you want to, you can sell the one you like the least.

Yup and Yup! What they said! Any Gillette Tech or Super Speed. My start to wet shaving came with a fluke stop into an antique store and picking up a $5 '57 Super Speed. Check out local thrist or antique stores, try to stay under $10-15. Watch the BST here. Be aware of online auctions until you know what you are looking for. If you decide to go new, you just can't go wrong with the EJ. Welcome aboard and enjoy your shaves!

my sons and I all started with Super Speeds. I've used many different razors since then and I still think the Super Speed is a great place to start.

I started with a DE89. Spend $45 on it...sure its a great razor, but rarely gets any use these days...which frankly isn't that long into the journey. I'm routinely using my R41, FaTip and even straights now. Here is the bottom line: Just buy one. Some on this board make it seem like its a daunting task. It's not. I wish I had bought my first razor for $1! Heed his advice!

You can research these all to death and it can be more daunting than the task. There's a well respected member, turtle, who specifically states he uses everything from Techs, Slants, Open Combs & Straights and can get a bbs shave from them all. It's your technique that matters. Get what appeals to you. If I'd done that from the beginning, I would've bought the R41 and would probably only have 1 razor....well, except for the straights.

This is shaving, not brain surgery.

I started with a Merkur 34c. I used it for 2 weeks and gave up in frustration and jumped into an R41. This think taught me to shave irritation free in 1 day once I put a bulldog handle on it.

People don't seem to share this sentiment, but an R41, a bulldog handle (I have a weber, any would probably do), and a feather blade will be a serious shaving machine. It is agressive but nimble and controllable. Use it in a quiet bathroom, take short controlled strokes. Hold it on a flat surface and understand the blade angle before you begin. Proceed with patience and a light touch, and you'll be there in no time. The razor gives such immediate feedback, punishing poor technique and rewarding good technique you learn FAST. This is why it gets my vote. I'm a newb around here, and I see no one else putting this opinion out there, but I believe it is a pretty good strategy.

I'd vote for the Merkur 34C (HD). When I started, I bought both the Merkur 34C and the 40's Super Speed because I kept seeing them mentioned as the most highly recommended razors for newbies. I couldn't decide which one to get, so I decided to try them both. [In my case, RAD kicked in early.]

I think they are both fine razors, but I personally found the Merkur HD to be the better razor to learn technique (and unlearn all the bad habits from years of using cartridge razors). While technically being the more "aggressive" of the two, I found that the heavier weight and shorter handle helped me to understand how to let the weight of the razor do the work and not apply too much pressure. When I first started using the SS, I found that its lighter weight made me want to press down like I would with a cartridge razor, which resulted in some awfully uncomfortable first shaves. Really, though, you can't go wrong with either one.

Gillette Tech (I particularly like the ball-end or fat handle ones) - beautifully made, inexpensive and VERY user-friendly!

I've seen some Edwin Jagger's with the Chatsworth handles in pictures, and they are nice and fancy. I'm pretty new myself, but I think that they may encourage you to grab a big fist full of handle with your man mitts and apply too much pressure to your face. I have a DE87 and recommend it, but it is the only thing I've ever used (so far)...

Ej89 its a great razor to start with and it's fit and finish is very good. It looks great, very forgiving, very simple to use.

I started with a Merkur 34c. I used it for 2 weeks and gave up in frustration and jumped into an R41. This think taught me to shave irritation free in 1 day once I put a bulldog handle on it.

People don't seem to share this sentiment, but an R41, a bulldog handle (I have a weber, any would probably do), and a feather blade will be a serious shaving machine. It is agressive but nimble and controllable. Use it in a quiet bathroom, take short controlled strokes. Hold it on a flat surface and understand the blade angle before you begin. Proceed with patience and a light touch, and you'll be there in no time. The razor gives such immediate feedback, punishing poor technique and rewarding good technique you learn FAST. This is why it gets my vote. I'm a newb around here, and I see no one else putting this opinion out there, but I believe it is a pretty good strategy.

I started with a parker shavette which worked..and still works just great,
got an EJ89 and got frustated as well..then tried the R41 and wham! perfect shave first time.
two weeks ago I would agree with everything you said.
but now, I realize the R41 worked for me because the way I was holding it lent itself to it being perfect.
I was holding the EJ89 wrong, my angle was wrong. I now am able to get the same shave I do with the R41 in the same number of passes.

so....sorrr..getting long winded...i will cut to the chase...
my point is..initial two weeks of frustation with the ej89 resulted in some stubble at end of shave and nothing more.

for a newb..two weeks of frustation with a R41 might lead to a low haemoglobin count.

Weber-stainless steel, American made, great bulldog handle and mild shaver. Worth every penny at about seventy dollars.

I started with and still use my Merkur 1904 with the saftey bar. I like the looks of the handle and it costs less than the Merkur 34c. ( I didnt want to blow my entire budget on a razor as I wanted to try many diffrent blades and other things)

Top Bottom