What's new

Best Performing Soap Hands Down

OldSaw

The wife's investment
If either of my girls ever offered to buy me a present :)lol: I know, sometimes I kill myself.
proxy.php
proxy.php
) I would ask for AoS or C&S, or perhaps that snooty French one.

I thought all the French ones were snooty. I agree on the Art of Shaving, I love that stuff.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I wonder how many respondents have actually tried AoS. I have used Tabac and I like it. I have also tried MWF and like that as well. However, Art of Shaving products are clearly hands down levels above Tabac or MWF but it is very expensive and that is why I don't have as much as I would like and I wonder how many others have not even tried it because of that.

Since we were not considering price I think AoS is top notch and there may be a few more pricier ones that I have not tried that could be even better.

Unfortunately, it's no longer available, but the "tallow first" Penhaligon's English Fern is (was) one of absolute best soaps known to man. Of course, there are many good ones that have already been mentioned: AOS, Valobra, Harris Almond, MWF, etc....but that English Fern...oh my.

1. Tabac
2. Irisch Moos
3. P160 (wait, that's discontinued... Cella I guess).

I imagine Martin De cadre (Spelling?) would beat even tabac. That stuff is almost pure stearic acid from the looks of the ingredients. It would be more drying though, and La Toja stick (just a tiny bit harsher/higher Stearic content than Tabac) is too harsh for me, so I'm a bit worried. Still, that bubbling over wood bowl wins for best packaging.

My top picks...

Proraso white tub
Cella soap cream
DR Harris Arlington, Marlborough, Lavender
Pre de Provence tin
Cyril Salter

Want to try...

MWF
T&H

Meh...

Tabac
SRD vetiver
Oglalla
Col. Conk
WIlliams

I wonder how many respondents have actually tried AoS. I have used Tabac and I like it. I have also tried MWF and like that as well. However, Art of Shaving products are clearly hands down levels above Tabac or MWF but it is very expensive and that is why I don't have as much as I would like and I wonder how many others have not even tried it because of that.

Since we were not considering price I think AoS is top notch and there may be a few more pricier ones that I have not tried that could be even better.

I forgot to include AoS, but I think its one of those products with a 90%+ "love it!" rating for those who have used (even with all the baggage that goes with AoS stores/products/owner). It's on my list of soaps to use, even though I greatly dislike the AoS company.

Martin de Candre falls in the "hands downs" better category for me.

AOS also.:thumbup1:

SMN is top tier performance wise also.

Unfortunately, it's no longer available, but the "tallow first" Penhaligon's English Fern is (was) one of absolute best soaps known to man. Of course, there are many good ones that have already been mentioned: AOS, Valobra, Harris Almond, MWF, etc....but that English Fern...oh my.

Oh how I wish I could've experienced the tallow version of Penhaligon's EF. The reformulated version is just utterly disappointing:angry:

What I'm wondering is what is the best performing soap reguardless of price or scent.
The one that performs best for you, regardless of price or scent.

I've not tried as many as some here, but I find there's not much performance variance between some of the most popular soaps - once you've got reliable and repeatable technique.

I'd agree with the general idea of (in no particular order):

Tabac
MWF
Cella

My caveats would be:

Tabac: Smells horrible coming out of the box (but mellows and becomes a nice scent in time). Great performer, great price.
MWF: Not if you have hard water. I don't think I'm the only one who's had MWF/hard water issues. Although, based on threads, it varies greatly by degree. Amazing performance, but a little pricey.
Cella: Some people don't like the scent. I compare it to fresh, off the tree almonds, which I happen to like. The scent fades a bit in time, but I don't think it ever really goes away (which I am glad for). My personal favorite.

Also, I can support the Irisch Moos (if you like the Irish Spring scent) and DR Harris sticks. They are really great performers if you like sticks. Monsavon is good, and I find it especially relaxing. It is my "man, I really have a long day ahead of me" soap.

All of these are pretty affordable, with the exception of the MWF if you get the bowl. So, you may want to opt for that. Its a bit harder to justify $50 for a bowl/puck, but not so hard to justify $10 for a tub of Cella.

If there were such a thing as a hands down best soap out there, we'd all be using it (aside from the lunatic fringe who claim to like modern Williams).

1. Tabac
2. Irisch Moos
3. P160 (wait, that's discontinued... Cella I guess).

I imagine Martin De cadre (Spelling?) would beat even tabac. That stuff is almost pure stearic acid from the looks of the ingredients. It would be more drying though, and La Toja stick (just a tiny bit harsher/higher Stearic content than Tabac) is too harsh for me, so I'm a bit worried. Still, that bubbling over wood bowl wins for best packaging.

Lol, guess I should have never sent you some of that P160 :biggrin1: I'm hoarding onto about 600g of the stuff myself.

Martin De Candre to me beats Tabac, but then a lot of soaps do to for me personally. I "cheaped" out on the MdC though and got the glass bowl to "save" around $10....

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd

I couldn't agree more. AoS gets an often well deserved knock on their prices, but not always. Some folks complain about the price of their creams, but they're really in line with Harris, Trumper, etc. Their soaps are admittedly pricey, but even though the pucks don't feel as physically hard as some other triple milled soaps, they last and last. $26 is a lot for a puck of soap, but you can enjoy some of the very best there is for a loooooong time.

Not expensive enough? There's always C&S. Think AoS with better and stronger scents.

I couldn't agree more. AoS gets an often well deserved knock on their prices, but not always. Some folks complain about the price of their creams, but they're really in line with Harris, Trumper, etc. Their soaps are admittedly pricey, but even though the pucks don't feel as physically hard as some other triple milled soaps, they last and last. $26 is a lot for a puck of soap, but you can enjoy some of the very best there is for a loooooong time.

Not expensive enough? There's always C&S. Think AoS with better and stronger scents.

Or buy Valobra stick, though admittedly it is $10 for 50g while AOS is $26 for 90g so on a cost/oz basis it is a little cheaper.

Considering I didn't balk at paying what I did for MdC I really need to try C&S some day.

(aside from the lunatic fringe who claim to like modern Williams).

:lol::lol::lol:

Impossible to answer, partly because what I find the best depends on the season as well. Naming a couple would be a great injustice to a lot of soaps I haven't used yet...

a lunatic fringe

I forgot to include AoS, but I think its one of those products with a 90%+ "love it!" rating for those who have used (even with all the baggage that goes with AoS stores/products/owner). It's on my list of soaps to use, even though I greatly dislike the AoS company.

Why don't you buy a Valobra stick then? I've heard time and time again that it's just AOS in a different scent.

Top Bottom