What's new

Best Gold Dollar to mod?

So as always my searching has found no information I need. So I am making this post, so sorry if there is a thread already, I just can not find it.

I have always like modding things, from console game systems to computers to fishing lures to whatever people wanted modded. Somehow they thought I knew what I was doing and for the most part nothing got broken or blown up so go me.

Now after seeing all these great looking GD's on the site over the past few years. Now I want a GD of my own to mess with. I also figure it can be a razor I can learn to hone on, once I can get my honing stones. At least in the meantime I can try my hand at modding.

I will have to purchase the GD from Amazon, I got a random gift card the other day and figured I can use a bit of it for a GD. I would prefer one that is larger in size but ideally any razor that can take modding well would be good. So what model/s are good for this or is it, get what you want and hope for the best?

So as always my searching has found no information I need. So I am making this post, so sorry if there is a thread already, I just can not find it.

I have always like modding things, from console game systems to computers to fishing lures to whatever people wanted modded. Somehow they thought I knew what I was doing and for the most part nothing got broken or blown up so go me.

Now after seeing all these great looking GD's on the site over the past few years. Now I want a GD of my own to mess with. I also figure it can be a razor I can learn to hone on, once I can get my honing stones. At least in the meantime I can try my hand at modding.

I will have to purchase the GD from Amazon, I got a random gift card the other day and figured I can use a bit of it for a GD. I would prefer one that is larger in size but ideally any razor that can take modding well would be good. So what model/s are good for this or is it, get what you want and hope for the best?
most of the modded GD are 66 or 208 so start there, they are cheap and plentiful,

Grab a few 66. Cheap. Sometimes totally unusable. When you get a fairly straight blade they are relatively easy to reshape & polish. Last years competition I bought 3, two were usable. It is also real easy to chip/crack a blade, thus the getting a spare or two too!

Legion

Staff member
If you are planning to do minimal work, get a 208.

If you want to grind away get a 66. They have more meat, and are cheaper if you mess it up.

Thank you all for the quick responses. I think I will get the 66, more meat means mistakes can possibly be fixed. I'll see if I can get a couple of them if the odds are that high at least one will not be usable.

So I got two GD 66's to try modding. I think I bit off more than I can chew. I spent a good 30 minutes trying to grind down the heel and have gotten nowhere. I am using a Dremel Stylus with a 60 grit sand paper wheel. I am thinking of trying my portable drill to see if that helps. I do have a pink coloured grinding stone, would that speed things up a bit? I know the faster you go the more mistakes you can make but 30 minutes to get maybe a millimeter deep doesn't seem efficient.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
For profiling the heel, I use the nose of a "dragster" style belt sander. I used to use a dremel and a sanding drum but the belt sander is mucho more rapidomentee. The thick parts can take 20 seconds of grinding or so, at a whack. The thin areas, only a couple of seconds. When you see the bleu stain of death you know you have pulled the temper and the blade is toast. You can dunk the blade in a glass of ice water between attacks but I prefer to do about a dozen razors at once, and after rotating through them all, the first one is cooled and ready for another belt sander attack.

My favorite is the #66 because it has so much steel that can come off. It gives me a lot of freedom. And it is cheap. My last lot of 100 I think cost me $3.18/ea. Avoid all models with the double stabilizer. If you are really gonna do this, stick with the 66.

For profiling the heel, I use the nose of a "dragster" style belt sander. I used to use a dremel and a sanding drum but the belt sander is mucho more rapidomentee. The thick parts can take 20 seconds of grinding or so, at a whack. The thin areas, only a couple of seconds. When you see the bleu stain of death you know you have pulled the temper and the blade is toast. You can dunk the blade in a glass of ice water between attacks but I prefer to do about a dozen razors at once, and after rotating through them all, the first one is cooled and ready for another belt sander attack.

My favorite is the #66 because it has so much steel that can come off. It gives me a lot of freedom. And it is cheap. My last lot of 100 I think cost me $3.18/ea. Avoid all models with the double stabilizer. If you are really gonna do this, stick with the 66.

Thanks Slash McCoy, your advice in the matter of GD's is priceless. Unfortunately for me all I have is a dremel tool to do the work. I will say it is very frustrating sanding away and not see much progress. I am going to keep at it a little each day. I am in no rush and I don't want to discourage myself so quickly.

if you're looking to do just one blade, ice water bath and if you're working the stabilizer off or reprofiling the toe, put pressure into it with the sanding drum. as you get to the thin pieces, back off the pressure. putting in a thumb notch, same thing, pressure away.

if the blade gets too hot to hold comfortably near where you're working, back in the ice water to cool it.

if you're looking to do just one blade, ice water bath and if you're working the stabilizer off or reprofiling the toe, put pressure into it with the sanding drum. as you get to the thin pieces, back off the pressure. putting in a thumb notch, same thing, pressure away.

if the blade gets too hot to hold comfortably near where you're working, back in the ice water to cool it.

I only just seen this reply. Thanks for the tips. I am slowly trying to get the blade done. I do a bit of work, get frustrated and walk away. I then go back the next day and hit it a little more. I have noticed there is progress being made it is just so slow to what I was expecting. This has encouraged me a bit so now I am waiting for my dremel to charge so I can get back at it.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The last seller I bought from was buyincoins. Do a fleabay search, with results in order of price including shipping, to find the current cheapest price. Then try to negotiate a lower price for quantity. Some sellers such as the one I mentioned, give significant discounts to repeat customers, too.

Thanks for the suggestion Slash. Some of these other websites seem sketchy or I have to buy 100. Probably only looking to pick up 10 to 20 for now haha.

Did you actually find non shave ready blades on Amazon though? They were all "shave ready" or kits that I was finding. So they were a little more than I wanted to spend. I ended up ordering 10 on the bay for $4.16 each shipped. They will apparently be here anytime in the next 2 months! Haha!

Did you actually find non shave ready blades on Amazon though? They were all "shave ready" or kits that I was finding. So they were a little more than I wanted to spend. I ended up ordering 10 on the bay for $4.16 each shipped. They will apparently be here anytime in the next 2 months! Haha!

All blades on Amazon are "shave ready"!

All blades on Amazon are "shave ready"!

Haha, exactly! If I had a gift card to use I wouldn't mind picking some up from Amazon though. At least they would get here a lot faster. I think the last time I picked up extremely cheap items with free shipping from China it took almost 6 weeks for them to get here. Those were my jeweler's loupes.

I believe they were posted as "shave ready". They seem pretty sharp but I planned on having them honed after I finish them. That way I know they are usable.

Top Bottom