What's new

Best cheap modern DE razor

i wouldn't recommend a 34c as they have blade alignment issues and you might end up cutting yourself a lot with it.

maybe a gillette knack from ebay or a lord

i wouldn't recommend a 34c as they have blade alignment issues and you might end up cutting yourself a lot with it.

maybe a gillette knack from ebay or a lord

???

The Merkur 34c does NOT have blade alignment issues.

It's close to being the most popular razor in the world and has been produced since 1931. Gee, think they got it right?

From experience, it's an awesome MILD razor.

well, i have one and it has alignment issues as the tolerances are not tight enough leading to a blade becoming angled due to torsion when tightening

well, i have one and it has alignment issues as the tolerances are not tight enough leading to a blade becoming angled due to torsion when tightening
Mine was the same. They produced new molds for the Progress, perhaps it's time for the 34c. My slant was also not what I would call a precision instrument, whereas my 40 year old Progress is fine.

Schick Krona.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Did you read the original post? A Slim is a fine razor but not within the budget he prescribed. AND he wanted to go with a new razor and not vintage. I've used a feather popular. Good razor but personally I prefer all metal.

Might need a good cleaning but you can't beat the price.

Attachments

• 1490457556907219744136.jpg
    1490457556907219744136.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • 1490457621709758104754.jpg
    1490457621709758104754.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
QShave (Ming Shi S2000), can be had for around $10, $8 with coupon. - Futur clone, been using one for about a week, great shave, as good as my Fat-boy, but maybe smoother and nearly as smooth as my Rockwell on setting 2. (Better/more comfortable than the TX18 copy, which I hated and sold).

Be sure to but the QShave branded model, I bought both, same razor, but fit and finish better on QShave. - I bought mine on Ali-Express, around 2 weeks from China.

well the owners are to blame ,the one who cant put in a blade , merkurs are good razors ,and the ones who dont know the Product should just stop telling lies

Last edited:
I get excellent shaves with my Merkur products. I suggest it's simply "different strokes..." and no lies on my part. Breakfastbuddy, that was not a very good thing to say.

Overall you hear of very few merkur razors having alignment issues. I'm not suggesting the members here are to blame for their issues with the razor. What I will say is no razor company has perfect quality control. The ones in question were probably a few that slipped through and did have the alignment issue. But probably not a common issue at all.

The primary problem I've seen reported here and elsewhere with merkur razors is that they are prone to corrosion if the finish is damaged or wears out. But that's any Zamak razor.

Overall you hear of very few merkur razors having alignment issues. I'm not suggesting the members here are to blame for their issues with the razor. What I will say is no razor company has perfect quality control. The ones in question were probably a few that slipped through and did have the alignment issue. But probably not a common issue at all.

The primary problem I've seen reported here and elsewhere with merkur razors is that they are prone to corrosion if the finish is damaged or wears out. But that's any Zamak razor.
My vintage (70s) Progress is fine. My vintage (60s) slant was not fine it was downright sloppy in terms of blade alignment. I've read a number of complaints from Progress owners who I trust are neither idiots or liars. I've never heard of a Gillette Tech with alignment issues.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

i have a merkur 39 c and its the best razor With no aligiment issues, and no one her want to bring up negative stuff about old gilletes, unless they are prepared for a cold shower .

well the owners are to blame ,the one who cant put in a blade , merkurs are good razors ,and the ones who dont know the Product should just stop telling lies

Wow, do you own stock in the company? Why are you getting all upset? Everyone does not have to like the razor just because you do, I doubt you are the all important de razor expert you think you are!

i am not a expert , but i have merkur shavers , People can like what they want , but i see this negative bias against certain Things here and thats why i maybe step on some toes ,

i am not a expert , but i have merkur shavers , People can like what they want , but i see this negative bias against certain Things here and thats why i maybe step on some toes ,

People will say what they want. Merkurs are a beautifully engineered razor. I almost bought one for my oldest son, but ended up purchasing a Edwin Jagger Kelvin only to give him the freedom to change the handle if he chooses.

I have plenty on razors people would turn up their nose at, but thats fine, it doesn't change the fact they give me a great shave. I find that razors are a very individual item; what work for others may not work for you and vice a versa. :001_cool:

Top Bottom