What's new

Beginner Strops

I was looking at beginner strops and was pointed to Whipping dog. the two strap leather/poly strop is what I was looking at but then I realized its width is less that the razor... is that an issue when stropping then have a inconsistent stropping pattern. (Hope I am saying that right).
Another option is the GBB&S Beginners Strop For Straight Razor Stropping and Practice which is only 15.99 but I can't find a lot of information on it. From what I can read its a 3" Wide Synthetic Strop. But doesn't say if one side mimics the poly/more abrasive side of a more expensive strop and the other side mimics the leather side of a more expensive strop.
There's also the Classic Brand Beginner's Practice Leather & Cotton Strop for 15.99; Two-piece strop with one piece of cow-hide leather and one piece of woven cotton but is 2' wide.

I am starting with a vintage blade and then will probably order a Portland razor next month or so.

Let me know your thoughts.

I was looking at beginner strops and was pointed to Whipping dog. the two strap leather/poly strop is what I was looking at but then I realized its width is less that the razor... is that an issue when stropping then have a inconsistent stropping pattern. (Hope I am saying that right).
Another option is the GBB&S Beginners Strop For Straight Razor Stropping and Practice which is only 15.99 but I can't find a lot of information on it. From what I can read its a 3" Wide Synthetic Strop. But doesn't say if one side mimics the poly/more abrasive side of a more expensive strop and the other side mimics the leather side of a more expensive strop.
There's also the Classic Brand Beginner's Practice Leather & Cotton Strop for 15.99; Two-piece strop with one piece of cow-hide leather and one piece of woven cotton but is 2' wide.

I am starting with a vintage blade and then will probably order a Portland razor next month or so.

Let me know your thoughts.
I have the whipped dog poor man's kit. The strop is smaller than the razor's blade but i have found that stropping with an "x" pattern is not difficult. The strop is a great beginner strop. I have small shallow cuts in mine from learning to strop. I sanded them down with fine sandpaper and the strop works great still. I will eventually upgrade once I am plenty confident I won't cut up a more expensive strop. If this is your first and you are learning, i highly recommend whipped dog's strop. Right now, all i have is this leather strop, so i only strop on the leather. It keeps the edge sharp just fine.

I also started out with the poor man's kit. Great budget strop. A couple of things to consider:

Most strops are slimmer than the blade. 2" to 2 and 1/2". After using the poor man strop for a while, I wanted a wider strop. Got a 2 and 1/2" one and actually don't consider it any better. With the 2" strop you don't have to worry as much about cupping(middle of the strop hangs lower than the edges, which can be detrimental to the strop and/or razor).

Another thing is that the majority of new stroppers tend to cut the strop in the learning phase. The poor man strop is good enough for both beginners and veterans, and is not expensive.

Lastly, it is a known commodity from a well known and respected vendor in Larry.

+1 for The poor man's strop kit and +100 for Larry. The balsa works great if you have minor boo boos while learning to strop, and works like gangbusters when you don't. I got an extra on when I ordered - highly recommend that. My extra is my travel strop.

Look at Westholme strops..
They do a beginners strop 2.5" or 3", made of Latigo leather from the Horween leather co. in Chicago with a natural flax 2nd surface with barbers ends. They are very competetively priced around £35! If you are in the USA the postage may be costly from the UK but they are top quality at a bargain price... yes I have one and intend to purchase an up range model in due course.

Main thing if your starting out is to use a 3 Inch strop. It takes away the problems caused by using lateral movement, in other words, if you are using a 2.5 inch strop you need to xstroke to cover a blades length. And when starting avoid the drama and go for a 3 Inch model. It's tempting no doubt to go for a lovely Westholme, horween Cordovan, Kanayama's and the like, but resist for the short term. Once you have a stroke worked out, and are confident sky is the limit. Strop Acquisition Disorder is real and hard to fight off. I luckily have a moderate collection, if five is moderate....enjoy your journey

I started on a 3" strop and although nice I eventully tried a 2.5" and care for it alot more, there are a few reasons to at least consider a 2.5" strop, first off is cost as less produce equals less cost, secondly and I have no proof but I believe a 2.5" does a slightly better job of maintaining the edge due to the fact that there is less of the blade touching the leather so it allows a slightly more concentrated polishing of the edge, as far as a 3" is easier to use than a 2.5" thats really not true, yes you can cut a narrower strop if you do a lateral movment to cover all the edge like an X stroke but understand that you dont have to do an X stroke you can do regualr strokes and just do a few more like doing 5-10 strokes then slightly move the blade up or down to cover the rest and do 5-10 and just jump back and fouth, trust me the razor or your face will never know.

I have lots of strops, some 3" some 2.5" and it always seems i reach for the narrower one.

I'm only referring to this thread, 'beginner strop's. if you have many strops of course use what you want, but for a person's first strop the 3 Inch strop can make it easier to learn.

3" may seem easier, but I find that keeping them taut enough to maintain consistent contact the full width of the strop can be an issue. The added "draw" across a strop narrower than your razor is long corrects for this as well as the potential imperfect flatness of the leather itself. I've always gotten better results stropping on 2.5" vs 3".

As an experienced stropper, now and for the last good while, I have exclusively used a Kanayama #80000, which is 68mm wide (2.72 inches) Meaning you don't cover a full blade with one stroke. It is no problem now to use it with great success, but I would not tell a person buying their 1st strop to spend $250 plus. USD on a Kanayama. You will nick your first strop. Not might or maybe, you WILL nick or cut your first strop, so buy a cheaper 3 inch and learn how to strop 1st. Unless you have plenty of money to replace it after a few months.

Top Bottom