What's new

Beer of the Day - BOTD - 2017

It's unseasonably warm here in Minnesota, and this means grilling... AND a moment to try some of those obscure beers you've accumulated over these past few months. Tonight it was Stone's 6th Anniversary Porter. There was a sourness to the nose upon opening, with a moderate to almost aggressive head on the pour. I WANTED to like this one, because I like Stone Brewing, but it just wasn't for me. There was a sweet, almost raisin-like aftertaste to this one, but I just couldn't get past the woody bitterness. I didn't finish the whole pint. Had to wash it down with a Xocoveza.

Don

Stone Ripper IPA. Been drinking Stouts and Porters lately, so I thought I'd take a break from those and try Stone's new Ripper IPA. Very hoppy, but surprisingly light.

It's a little over 5.5% ABV, so fairly crushable. Not the best I've ever had from Stone but definitely worth a try if you're a fan of Stone's brews.

Last edited:
My inability to read my wife's mind indicates a serious beer deficiency.

Stone's Coffee Milk Stout puts things back in order:wink2:.

Don

Stone Ripper IPA. Been drinking Stouts and Porters lately, so I thought I'd take a break from those and try Stone's new Ripper IPA. Very hoppy, but surprisingly light.

It's a little over 5.5% ABV, so fairly crushable. Not the best I've ever had from Stone but definitely worth a try if you're a fan of Stone's brews.

This is available on tap tonight. I'll get a sample before I leave....

Snifter of 10-10-10 from Gainesville's Swamphead. Malty IPA. They've done a couple barrel aged versions of this, including Pappy barrels. They must be delicious!

Last edited:
Stone Ripper is a decent IPA. Lots of flavor for the ABV. Little disappointed tasting a Russian Imperial Stout tonight, though. Old Rasputin. Had it on nitro tap. Felt and tasted thin. After having a couple swallows of the wife's Funky Buddha I'm So Excited, I'm So Scared, I was so disappointed.

Arrogant Brewing's Arrogant Bastard Bourbon Barrel Aged Strong Ale. I thought it was Stone Brewing's offering; the gargoyle almost looks the same as the devil/imp on Arrogant's bottles. I didn't like this one. Although it seemed to have a full, stout-like opening, the finish was a full 50% of the swallow overwhelmingly (to me!) bitter. An offering from the brother-in-law. Glad I didn't pay for it.

Don

Gave Old Rasputin a second try last evening. Found it much better this go around, probably because I hadn't had a stout beforehand.

Arrogant Brewing's Arrogant Bastard Bourbon Barrel Aged Strong Ale. I thought it was Stone Brewing's offering; the gargoyle almost looks the same as the devil/imp on Arrogant's bottles.
Don
I didn't realize that Arrogant split off from Stone in 2015. It is produced "on the road" at other distilleries around the country?

It is produced "on the road" at other distilleries around the country?

I can't say for sure, Rick. I'd just assumed it was Stone's offering by the logo, but a search afterwards shows that it's done by Arrogant Brewing. I won't be trying it again.

A trip to Wisconsin means buying some New Glarus! Picked up some Spotted Cow, which I enjoyed last night, some Road Slush (oatmeal stout), and Fat Squirrel, a nut brown ale. New Glarus makes good beer, but it's only available for sale in the Badger State. If you have any friends going there have them pick up some of their stuff. It's worth it!

Don

Grabbed a 4 pack of Toppling Goliath's Pseudo Sue. Killer IPA, with notes of citrus (grapefruit, mango) with a very nice hoppy finish which isn't over the top (reminds me a lot of Three Floyds Zombie Dust). Plus it's only 5.8 % ABV which makes it pretty crushable.

FYI-Pseudo Sue is collaboration between the Field Museum in Chicago and Toppling Goliath brewery which is in Decorah Iowa. The Sue is in reference to Sue the T-Rex which I believe is the most complete T-Rex fossil ever found (which is on display at the Museum).

Last edited:
Last evening, ventured down to the Craft Brews and Beer Bar to start the weekend. Tried two on tap:
Chimay Bleue 2016 Grande Réserve and Angry Chair 4 Bars of Bitterness. The Chimay was a darkish pour with decent carbonation and tasted of cherries and chocolate. Two others in the group ordered the Angry Chair American Pale, and I could smell the tropical fruits in that unfiltered brew, especially mango, and had to give it a go. More of an IPA experience than a pale ale, for sure, with those tropical notes up front and a dry, hoppy middle and finish.

Rhinelander Brewing's Chocolate Bunny Stout. An impulse buy, and I still wasn't convinced I'd made a good decision when I walked out with the six. Gave one to a friend and I had one. His report: terrible. Mine: Ick. I'm almost being hard on my sink by pouring the other 4 down the drain, but that's where it's going.

Don

Insanity by Weyerbacher on tap. This is their barrel aged Barleywine Ale. It's nice, but the booze (11.1%) really overwhelms any tasting notes.

Delerium Tremens - never gets old
Innis & Gunn Irish Whiskey Finish - little thin as stouts go, the booze isn't overwhelming, and the smoke is delicious

New Glarus Road Slush Oatmeal Stout. Nice and full-bodied, with a good malt note on opening. I don't rank it among some of the delicious stouts I've had. It was okay. Finished with Spooted Cow from New Glarus. Very good and drinkable, perfect summertime beer but it's fine in the winter, too.

Don

Top Bottom