What's new

Been thinking...

Thats never a good sign right?

So I've been collecting pipe for a little bit now and have a small collection. Most are lowish priced estates I grabbed up and had to do some clean up. Until now I've been pretty happy with the collection but recently (mostly this last week haha) have felt like something is missing.

Nothing wrong with the pipes I've collected (mostly vintage dr graybows) but there are quite a few that are similar or I don't really smoke them often.

How often do ya'll go through your collections and how do ya'll determine what gets sold or traded?

I know what I have isn't worth a fortune but there are a good 12 on the list of possible sells of trades. Nine briar and 3 meerschaum pipes.
I'm starting to think it would be wiser to trim the fat and use the funds to buy or go towards a higher quality meer or briar (probably both down the road).

I've been extremely impressed with all the baki, imp, and tekin meers. And the neerup, peterson, tinsky, and nording briars. There are many more these are just a few. I've always been afraid to invest alot into a pipe because I smoke outdoors usually around my dogs.

Is my thinking sound or should I do my best to stop thinking haha? I do tend to overthing things. Well anyhow if you read all of that thanks for listening to Mark's rambling hour... :lol:

Last edited:
Well Mark, I can't speak to pipe collections since I only have one that I haven't even used yet... But it probably happens once or twice a year that I look at my DE razor collection and think that I should sell a few and bring some new ones in. I'm sure a BL regular will swing by shortly to confirm if it's a similar phenomenon with pipes :thumbup1:

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I think you're right to be thinking about consolidating. However, don't be too hasty. Make sure you have some pipes with different chamber shapes and sizes, and get to know them and what tobaccos they smoke well. Experiment. Live with them awhile. I've had pipes that didn't click for me right away, but became great smokers after I ran a dozen bowls through them, got to know the pipe, and what it liked.

With that said, part of the fun is to buy, sell, and buy some more. Ultimately it's your journey--have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you're right to be thinking about consolidating. However, don't be too hasty. Make sure you have some pipes with different chamber shapes and sizes, and get to know them and what tobaccos they smoke well. Experiment. Live with them awhile. I've had pipes that didn't click for me right away, but became great smokers after I ran a dozen bowls through them, got to know the pipe, and what it liked.

With that said, part of the fun is to buy, sell, and buy some more. Ultimately it's your journey--have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This just happened with me. I rarely smoked my Polinski, but just decided to bring it back into the rotation. It gave me the best smoke I've had yet from Haunted Bookshop. So, it went from not being touched in like a year, to now being one of my main burley pipes.

I would definitely take my time. Resmoke those on the list. And if suspicions are confirmed I would have to sanatize each.

I suppose this is just my smoking interests changing. I've never made a huge deal about looks or quality as long as it smoked well and was inexpensive. I believe my mind is starting to see that quality and even uniqueness is more important than what I originally thought. Something to admire when smoking it. Might just be a revelation in my collecting. Less about quantity and more about quality and what the pipe does for me.

Of course I still have my cobs, bones, and some others to puff for most situations. Perhaps from now on pipes I purchase will mean something to me. Not just the lowest bid. I have ended up with alot of "scores" but is it really a score if the pipe does nothing for you when you looks at it?

Thanks again for the advice! I'll see where this goes in the coming month haha. Ya'll might see some pipes pop up for sale in the future. :lol:

Top Bottom