What's new

Battle between titans, Chubby Vs Duke

Battle between titans, Chubby Vs Duke

• Chubby

• Duke

Results are only viewable after voting.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
My heart is literally split in two. I love both. But being the Duke 3 my all-time favourite brush, I confirm my vote on the Duke. :thumbup1:

Does this include your new Chubby 1 Best that you just ordered? Since knots are similar or the same--is it the added length that pulls the Duke ahead? I enjoy your polls but hope to learn the "finer points" of these two great brushes in some of the responses. Thanks, merv

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Does this include your new Chubby 1 Best that you just ordered? Since knots are similar or the same--is it the added length that pulls the Duke ahead? I enjoy your polls but hope to learn the "finer points" of these two great brushes in some of the responses. Thanks, merv

Merv, I have not received my Chubby 1 Best yet. But I own a CH1 Super, so I know how the handle on the CH1 is. And yes, the Chubby 1 and Duke 3 have exactly the same knot (info got by Brett, the Vulfix/Simpson General Manager) with a different handle style/size. Being the handle on the D3 larger and more comfortable, I go with the Duke 3.

Chubby is #1 for me, I love the density, feels very luxurious 1 & 2. My Duke isn't as dense, as a bigger knot and loft than my Chubby 1, its feeling softer and softer the more I use it. I enjoy all 3 + my Rooney 2XL! :biggrin1:

And yes, the Chubby 1 and Duke 3 have exactly the same knot (info got by Brett, the Vulfix/Simpson General Manager) with a different handle style/size. Being the handle on the D3 larger and more comfortable, I go with the Duke 3.

Well I can tell you and have posted the pics, that my Duke 3 and Chubby 1 are NOT the same size knots, no way. I sent an email to Mark & Brett and Brett told me there is a +/- 3-4mm leeway on the knots of these two brushes.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Well I can tell you and have posted the pics, that my Duke 3 and Chubby 1 are NOT the same size knots, no way. I sent an email to Mark & Brett and Brett told me there is a +/- 3-4mm leeway on the knots of these two brushes.

This appears quite strange to me. I will call Brett or Mark again to have confirmation. But these 3-4 mm leeway in the knot you are talking about simply seems unreal. My CH1 and D3 both have a 23 mm knot, as measured with a caliper. And these are the sizes that appear on most sites (+/- 1 mm). Maybe are just the brushes you own?

This appears quite strange to me. I will call Brett or Mark again to have confirmation. But these 3-4 mm leeway in the knot you are talking about simply seems unreal. My CH1 and D3 both have a 23 mm knot, as measured with a caliper. And these are the sizes that appear on most sites (+/- 1 mm). Maybe are just the brushes you own?

Here is what he told me last month, and I'm not just talking about the loft height. Some others have mentioned their knot diameter to 25mm. The various sites are not official as Brett says.

"From: <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 7:09 AM
Subject: Re: Duke and Chubbies
To: M H <@gmail.com>

Hi M,
we are currently working on a standardised list of all our knot and loft sizes as quite a few vendors have different measurements for the same brushes, once we have completed this list the information will be added to our website.
Whilst the knots for the Duke 3 and Chubby 1 brushes are similar in size they are not exactly the same and so we make different knots for each handle.

Kind Regards,

Brett.

----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:34 PM
Subject: Re: Duke and Chubbies

Hi Brett

Thanks for the reply, there are some vendor websites that list different knot & loft sizes than the ones you provide. Also is it true that Duke 3 & Chubby 1 use the "same knot"? ABadger & Blade member says he got this info from you or Mark.

Thanks
M

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 12:16 AM, <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello M,
Thank you for your enquiry, the current approximate loft hieghts for the brushes you have enquired about are as follows:
Chubby 1, 45mm
Chugbby 2, 53mm
Duke 3, 49mm
I say approximate hieghts as all our knots are hand made using natural products we allow a tolerance of approx 3mm in the loft.

Kind Regards,

Brett.

I would vote but I don't own a Chubby, just a Duke 2. Which in my opinion is an outstanding brush. Only brush I owned for 1 year and did not feel the need for more, it is that good.

Granted, I am acquiring more brushes now but that is the sickness that many of us suffer from... :lol:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I voted for the Duke 3. IMO, it is the best of both worlds. The Duke 3 knot is the same as a Chubby 1 knot but I prefer the Duke 3 handle.

It's really a Chubke or Dukeby. :rolleyes:

My vote is for the Duke. My personal experience is with a Chubby 1 and a Duke 2. As crazy as this may sound, I feel like the Duke is just a tad less dense--which works perfect to me. The Duke seems to walk the perfect balance line in all areas. Both are amazing brushes, but the Duke still is my favorite of all the Simpsons I've had the privilage of owning.

As re. D3 vs CH1, having owned 2 versions of both...the CH ones seem, to me, slightly denser, flatter crowned, and overall a bit more substantial of a brush. Whether this is down to variation or what, I dunno. I will say that the one I have kept is a CH1 Best and its my favourite brush. They are both excellent, and similar brushes, and its mainly preference I suppose.

ps I seem to be in a minority of one in that I prefer the slightly thicker handle of the CH1 over the longer handle of the D3.

~Adam

Top Bottom