What's new

Barbasol razor info thread. Any info and pics posted here.

I would like to contribute to this thread if I may. I found a Barbasol floating head razor in mint condition yesterday at a flea market. I'm very happy with it even though I had to pay 3 digits for it ($6.40) :001_302:

2017-05-13 17.38.15.jpg

2017-05-13 17.38.38.jpg

2017-05-13 17.39.04.jpg

2017-05-13 17.39.37.jpg

Did you rechrome it?
Looks minty

View attachment 789079

No, that's the way I found it, I just put some Scrubbing Bubbles on it. What did they originally plate these in, I've seen people say Nickle, Rhodium, and Chrome? The letters are very crisp so I don't think it was replated. I've cleaned and polished a lot of Nickle and I don't think that's what it is. It looks like the Chrome on my Parker.

While I have you here, is it true that these were made only between 1932 and 1934?

No, that's the way I found it, I just put some Scrubbing Bubbles on it. What did they originally plate these in, I've seen people say Nickle, Rhodium, and Chrome? The letters are very crisp so I don't think it was replated. I've cleaned and polished a lot of Nickle and I don't think that's what it is. It looks like the Chrome on my Parker.

While I have you here, is it true that these were made only between 1932 and 1934?
It's beautiful chrome

Not a lot is known about the history and the time frame of the Barbasol Floating Head razor. According to Waits it was patented in 1932. Conventional wisdom on the shaving blogs believes it was made for several years, so a time life of 1932 to 1934 seems plausible. This was at the depth of the Great Depression. At that time a lot of things did not last long on the market for economic reasons.

They are chromed, verified by Chris at RazorPlate who has replated a few and had to strip the chrome off.

Not a lot is known about the history and the time frame of the Barbasol Floating Head razor. According to Waits it was patented in 1932. Conventional wisdom on the shaving blogs believes it was made for several years, so a time life of 1932 to 1934 seems plausible. This was at the depth of the Great Depression. At that time a lot of things did not last long on the market for economic reasons.
Yes, from 32 to 34 was the time frame of manufacturing.

Thanks again for all the replies gentlemen.

I've shaved with it for about 3 weeks now, it took some work on my part, but I'm now getting consistent great shaves. It will defiantly have a place in my rotation, but for now, some mindless wonderful shaves with my Gillette Bulldog and Toggle.

Top Bottom