What's new

Barbasol razor info thread. Any info and pics posted here.

What a great collection! Congrats. I've always thought that the Barbasol OC was one of the best looking razors out there, that would be the one on the left. I managed to obtain one after a great deal of effort and when it arrived it was one of the grungiest looking razors you could imagine. A short soak in Barbicide and guess what? It looks almost new. It proved to be a very fine, aggressive shaver. Love it.
You been here since the beginning of B&B. I appreciate your posting.

You been here since the beginning of B&B. I appreciate your posting.

It was B&B that got me back into DE shaving after decades of electrics and cartridges. One of the best things I've ever done in that it got me thinking completely differently about my routines and the possibility that they can be meaningful rather than a chore. I owe you and the rest of the B&B community a bit thank you.

It was B&B that got me back into DE shaving after decades of electrics and cartridges. One of the best things I've ever done in that it got me thinking completely differently about my routines and the possibility that they can be meaningful rather than a chore. I owe you and the rest of the B&B community a bit thank you.
I'm glad that I helped you I appreciate that.

I wanted to get a couple shaves with it under my belt before posting and tonite was shave #3 so I feel I have a good grasp of the razor.

Pro's:
I love the grip of this razor, of the 10 DE razors I currently own the Barbasol is hands down the best. Deep knurling makes for a secure, non-slip grip, even when the razor is wet.
I like the way the top cap covers the gripping sides of the razor blade. More than once I nicked my ear while shaving a little too close with other razors, this is a non issue with the Floating Head. I wish all razor companies did this.
The razor has a quality feel while shaving with it. It's not the heaviest razor I own but it is substantial weighing in at a measured 89 grams. It feels like a fine tool in your hands.There is also something special about shaving with a Vintage razor that is tough to put into words.

Cons:
I like aggressive razors and this definitely falls in that category. While it's nowhere near the brute as my '11 R41 you still have to watch yourself with pressure as well as angle so in that respect I wouldn't advise it as a starter razor for someone just getting into Wetshaving.
If a R41 is a 10 on the aggressive scale than I would say that The Barbasol is a 8.5. For reference I say my FaTip Grande as well as my Merkur 37C come in a 8.

Is it my favorite razor?
That has yet to be determined as it will be tough to unseat my favorite: a Sabi T2 paired with a Cadet Open Comb head. Aggressive and Oh so smooth. I will go back and forth this coming week and see where I stand but for now I'm just glad I finally have a Floating Head in my collection.

Jeff

I wanted to get a couple shaves with it under my belt before posting and tonite was shave #3 so I feel I have a good grasp of the razor.

Pro's:
I love the grip of this razor, of the 10 DE razors I currently own the Barbasol is hands down the best. Deep knurling makes for a secure, non-slip grip, even when the razor is wet.
I like the way the top cap covers the gripping sides of the razor blade. More than once I nicked my ear while shaving a little too close with other razors, this is a non issue with the Floating Head. I wish all razor companies did this.
The razor has a quality feel while shaving with it. It's not the heaviest razor I own but it is substantial weighing in at a measured 89 grams. It feels like a fine tool in your hands.There is also something special about shaving with a Vintage razor that is tough to put into words.

Cons:
I like aggressive razors and this definitely falls in that category. While it's nowhere near the brute as my '11 R41 you still have to watch yourself with pressure as well as angle so in that respect I wouldn't advise it as a starter razor for someone just getting into Wetshaving.
If a R41 is a 10 on the aggressive scale than I would say that The Barbasol is a 8.5. For reference I say my FaTip Grande as well as my Merkur 37C come in a 8.

Is it my favorite razor?
That has yet to be determined as it will be tough to unseat my favorite: a Sabi T2 paired with a Cadet Open Comb head. Aggressive and Oh so smooth. I will go back and forth this coming week and see where I stand but for now I'm just glad I finally have a Floating Head in my collection.

Jeff
Jeff, what is your conclusion, is it on your fave list ?

Alex,
It is right now in my top three. I have been rotating between it, my Cadet, a Mercur 37C,
and my Fatip these last couple of weeks.

Jeff

[MENTION=12410]alex2363[/MENTION], thanks for maintaining this thread.

I picked up a Barby in the wild back at the beginning of September for $13 in "user" condition, but due to SEptember and OCtober I haven't shaved with it until today. The shave was great. I like heavier razors, so this one was a joy to use. I can see myself using this one quite a bit.

Some pics:
$IMAG0555[1].jpg$IMAG0556[1].jpg$IMAG0557[1].jpg$IMAG0558[1].jpg

@alex2363, thanks for maintaining this thread.

I picked up a Barby in the wild back at the beginning of September for $13 in "user" condition, but due to SEptember and OCtober I haven't shaved with it until today. The shave was great. I like heavier razors, so this one was a joy to use. I can see myself using this one quite a bit.

Some pics:
View attachment 701062View attachment 701063View attachment 701064View attachment 701065
Your welcome Doug, it's fun keeping fun threads..... what blade did you use. ?

Top Bottom