What's new

Baratza grinder opinions.

Lately I have been looking at an Encore grinder, however I have been reading that as good as it is, it doesn't grind well for espresso. Also have read a few opinions that even the Virtuoso model isn't the best either, despite the good burrs and price.

Technical information shows that at least the Virtuoso grinds down to 200-250 microns which should be good enough, any personal experience would be appreciated as they are not inexpensive machines.

Thanks in advance!

Nothing below a Preciso in the Baratza line will grind fine enough and consistent enough for espresso.

That's what I wanted to know. Preciso is OK though?

Preciso would be the minimum I could recommend in the Baratza line up. It is the bottom of the line of grinders with micro adjustment capability to "dial in" your grind. All of the others below it have "steps" which are too large to make them effective espresso grinders.

Preciso would be the minimum I could recommend in the Baratza line up. It is the bottom of the line of grinders with micro adjustment capability to "dial in" your grind. All of the others below it have "steps" which are too large to make them effective espresso grinders.

My Virtuoso works fantastically with my Seaco Via Venezia espresso machine. Depending on bean freshness, I fluctuate between 2p and 3m. It even does fine enough for Turkish for me, although I rarely break out the ibrik.

The Encore is a great grinder if you're just brewing various pour-over or immersion brews. When it comes to espresso, I'd have to say start at Vario.

My Virtuoso works fantastically with my Seaco Via Venezia espresso machine. Depending on bean freshness, I fluctuate between 2p and 3m. It even does fine enough for Turkish for me, although I rarely break out the ibrik.

You sure about which model you have? Sounds to me like your settings are from a Vario or Forte model.

Virtuoso has the same adjustment settings as the Encore (entry level grinder)

proxy.php

Preciso has the micro adjustment lever so you can go between the large "steps" that the Virtuoso has

proxy.php

the Vario and Forte have more adjustments between the steps

proxy.php

Baratza just came out with a new espresso grinder. I know nothing about it as I am very happy with the grinders I have so not looking at anything new right now

http://www.baratza.com/grinder/sette-270/

proxy.php

I wanted to put this in an existing Baratza related thread instead of starting a new one...

In July I purchased a new Preciso from Whole Latte Love. Until a month ago, it only got use on the weekends due to my work schedule. For the last month, it has been used daily.

Despite this light use, it has a broken adjustment ring that needs to be replaced. Never jammed or had any abuse. I just noticed in the last week REALLY inconsistent grinds and dove in today using this video to verify it is broken.

When I called their support line, they agreed to send replacement parts free of charge, but I was shocked this happened so soon.

I own a Virtuoso and while it is fine for most applications I would not recommend it for espresso. As [MENTION=47553]turtle[/MENTION] notes the level of adjustment is not fine enough and I suspect that there are repeatability limitations with the settings as well, it just isn't built to that level of precision. I haven't used the Vario or the new Sette but if they use as much plastic internally as the Virtuoso does I would be concerned. You might get by with a Rocky but I would really recommend one of the less expensive Macap, Mazzer or Compak grinders, all of which, sadly, are north of $500.

For espresso I recommend a minimum of a Mazzer Mini.

The Mini electronic version has the same sized burrs as the Super Jolly

You really do not need a commercial/industrial grinder for home use as you will not be doing hundreds of shots an hour at home.

All that said, I do enjoy using my commercial/industrial grinder at home :yesnod:

I wanted to put this in an existing Baratza related thread instead of starting a new one...

In July I purchased a new Preciso from Whole Latte Love. Until a month ago, it only got use on the weekends due to my work schedule. For the last month, it has been used daily.

Despite this light use, it has a broken adjustment ring that needs to be replaced. Never jammed or had any abuse. I just noticed in the last week REALLY inconsistent grinds and dove in today using this video to verify it is broken.

When I called their support line, they agreed to send replacement parts free of charge, but I was shocked this happened so soon.

Never make grind adjustments unless the grinder is running. Expect to toss a bit of coffee (cheaper than replacing parts that WILL fail if you move the settings with the grinder NOT running)

Even Mazzer recommends to only change settings with the grinder running, even on their $1k and above machines

Never make grind adjustments unless the grinder is running. Expect to toss a bit of coffee (cheaper than replacing parts that WILL fail if you move the settings with the grinder NOT running)

Even Mazzer recommends to only change settings with the grinder running, even on their $1k and above machines
I appreciate tip, but I do make all adjustments with it running

I've had my Preciso for about 4 years. Replaced the plastic adjustment ring once in that time, but ordered 2 so I wouldn't be down in the future:). IMHO, its the least expensive espresso grinder available that produces very good espresso. It is not built like a commercial unit, nor does it have the price to go along with it. It has been a great entry into espresso, and shortly it will be used for pour over/French press/drip only and I think I'm going to go with a Quamar M80.

Very informative link though if you read through carefully you will see that Baratza states, "… If the unit is completely empty of coffee, there is no need to run the machine as there are no beans resisting burr movement." I don't store my beans in the hopper. There's no reason for me to fill the hopper turn it on then adjust.

~Royce

My solis grinder finally started giong downhill, blew a cpl thermal fuses, fixed and will have on hand as a backup.
Bought a refurb vario w 986 from baratza, couldnt beat the price , better than ebay and has a warranty, coming in on wednesday. Instead of grinding A cpl pounds in advance , i am going to go by weight and grind just what i brew daily. Looking forward to it.
Fwiw. If your looking for a refurb from baratza, call them and ask, i did , none on the site and 2 on the shelf, got them to ship it out to me.

Top Bottom