What's new

Bar Soap Opinions

Thanks for the thoughts folks, I really appreciate it.

I'm keeping a running list, I look forward to more options!

+1 for South of France soap. Tremendous selection of scents at Whole Foods but also readily available elsewhere. Huge bar. Bought Verbena for $5.99 in May and use it daily and still have a month's worth left. Great creamy suds with super fragrance.

Trader Joe's has an oatmeal/honey soap, 8oz for $1.49. They also have French triple milled soaps, 7oz for $3.49 - I've seen lavender, tea tree, and lemon verbena. The lavender is my favorite.

I bought my wife several bars of Mama Bears soap the last time I ordered shave soap there. My mother-in-law confiscated the Rosemary-Peppermint and my wife loves the Jasmine Nights. I am getting ready to order more any day now. It is clearly a step up from what I have been able to find locally.

I use Frost Fish Cove soaps. Lots of different scents, mostly all natural, and smell just fantastic. She also has an option to order a custom set if you want something very specific. Nice customer service, too. We've been ordering from her for a few years now.

If you like to support the smaller businesses, how about considering:

Queen Charlotte soaps or Mystic Water soaps? Both are made by forum members. I think Colleen at The Gentleman's Quarter also sells bath soaps, and Sue at Mama Bear has already been mentioned in this thread.

I currently alternate between Burt's Bees Men's Line soap and Out of Africa's Black soap.

Burt's has a nice citrusy scent that is great for summer weather. OoA's Black soap is 20% Shea Butter, and lathers up rich and creamy.

Other key ingredients are an Ayate cloth and a loofah sponge.

+1
I may have to pick up an Ayate cloth, I've been hearing about them lately.

Mysore Sandal Soap.

It's exactly what it sounds: sandalwood mixed with soap. I love it.

Mysore smells like heaven! Sadly it triggers migraines for me and I have two unopened bars of it laying idle. My top favorite bar soap is Speick. The bodywash/shampoo is awesome too and I take it everywhere when I travel longer than overnight.

I've been using and enjoying Wright's Coal Tar soap lately. It no longer contains actual coal tar (just the fragrance) but has tea tree oil for its antiseptic properties. Most importantly in my book, it's tallow-based so produces a rich, creamy lather and leaves the skin feeling clean but not dry.

proxy.php

Last edited:
+1 for the Yardley soaps. You can find them at supermarkets like Kroger's ... and places like Dollar Tree have 'em for a buck. Love that tallowy goodness ...

Another option: I recently ordered some shampoo bars from Chagrin Valley Soaps -- http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/ -- and based on the performance of the shampoo bars, I'll bet the soaps are terrific. Not inexpensive, but big bars and all natural.

I went to DG yesterday to try this Yardley. It is amazing, especially for $1 a bar.

Plan on ordering some soap/shampoo bars but there is like 3458057890572 small mom and pops who offer this. I cant decide :p

+1 on the Wrights. My son sends it to me from London. I have been amazed at how long English soaps like Wrights and Imperial Leather last. I used to use Zest or Irish Spring, and it seemed that a bar would only last a week or two. I can get months and months out of Wrights or Imperial Leather.

Love the wake-up smell of the Wrights:tongue_sm, Man, I need to go shower
:001_rolle

I've been using and enjoying Wright's Coal Tar soap lately. It no longer contains actual coal tar (just the fragrance) but has tea tree oil for its antiseptic properties. Most importantly in my book, it's tallow-based so produces a rich, creamy lather and leaves the skin feeling clean but not dry.

Mitchell's wool fat, who makes an excellent shaving soap, also makes bar soap that is also tallow and lanolin. I picked some up with a recent order and I have to say it is a very good soap, made with tallow and lanolin just like the shave soap.

just bought the MWF soap from WWW. Haven't tried it out yet . REminds me of IVORY

Most comercially made bars will say 'Beauty Bar', Moisture Bar. Cleansing Bar or something similar. These are not true SOAP. If it doesn't specifically say "Soap" it is detergent.
Sue

Top Bottom