What's new

Balsa wood strop

Hey folks,
I wanting to get a balsa wood for a strop. I didn't know it but there's different grades and densities. Which should i get for razor stropping grade A,B or C? Which density should i buy light, medium or hard density?

Just buy it at your local hardware or hobby shop. I will glue it to a plywood or tile backing. Lap it on some wet/dry sandpaper and add your favorite abrasive. Crox, Feox, diamond spray or CBN. Have fun.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hey folks,
I wanting to get a balsa wood for a strop. I didn't know it but there's different grades and densities. Which should i get for razor stropping grade A,B or C? Which density should i buy light, medium or hard density?

I don't think it matters all that much, as long as there are no splits, cracks, etc. The hardest balsa will still be resilient enough to accept the abrasive. Glue it to glass or tile, lap it, and apply your abrasive SPARINGLY, and rub it in well. Nearly EVERYBODY puts WAY TOO MUCH. For best results (the only kind worth having!) you want the abrasive embedded into the balsa, not coating it. I very much prefer diamond paste, btw. I have never got as good results with CrOx, etc as I do with diamond. So little is used that cost really isn't an issue. My maintenance grit is 0.1u and I do 40 or 50 nice light laps after every shave, and the edge stays hyper atomic ray gun zap zap sharp, and I never have to re-hone.

I have bought at hobby lobby and other brick and mortar hobby shops and never noticed different grades. I just pick out a piece that looks good, not warped, nice consistent looking grain.

I don't think it matters all that much, as long as there are no splits, cracks, etc. The hardest balsa will still be resilient enough to accept the abrasive. Glue it to glass or tile, lap it, and apply your abrasive SPARINGLY, and rub it in well. Nearly EVERYBODY puts WAY TOO MUCH. For best results (the only kind worth having!) you want the abrasive embedded into the balsa, not coating it. I very much prefer diamond paste, btw. I have never got as good results with CrOx, etc as I do with diamond. So little is used that cost really isn't an issue. My maintenance grit is 0.1u and I do 40 or 50 nice light laps after every shave, and the edge stays hyper atomic ray gun zap zap sharp, and I never have to re-hone.

I have bought at hobby lobby and other brick and mortar hobby shops and never noticed different grades. I just pick out a piece that looks good, not warped, nice consistent looking grain.
Thanks for the helpful info!

Top Bottom