What's new

Bacterial Infection Due to Shaving...and how often do you sanitize your razors?

Even with the lid down on a toilet there is plenty of room for "matter" to escape out the sides while flushing. Unless your lid and seat seal against the toilet ( I have never seen one that did).

Even with the lid down on a toilet there is plenty of room for "matter" to escape out the sides while flushing. Unless your lid and seat seal against the toilet ( I have never seen one that did).

Mine is some hollowed out type of seat that would jetison anything that escapes in a downward motion toward the floor. So while I don't fool myself into thinking that nothing is escaping, I'm certain it's not flying up onto my counters. Also, the type of flushing action your toilet has makes a difference. Some are stronger and more prone to creating aerosol. Others, not so much.

Just to steer the conversation away from poo, its at least plausible that shaving increases the risk of skin infection precisely because of the antibacterial effects of soap, aftershave, and removing a lot of the outer layer of skin with a sharp blade. If a lot of the relatively benign bacteria that normally live on the skin are removed or killed, its potentially easier for more hazardous organisms to take hold.

Just to steer the conversation away from poo, its at least plausible that shaving increases the risk of skin infection precisely because of the antibacterial effects of soap, aftershave, and removing a lot of the outer layer of skin with a sharp blade. If a lot of the relatively benign bacteria that normally live on the skin are removed or killed, its potentially easier for more hazardous organisms to take hold.

This makes some sense.

Though, I would not put myself on the waiting list if Ogallala came out with a new rebacterial aftershave splash:lol::lol:

Wow. Seriously?

Of all the posts in this thread, I like Ken's best. Does anybody remember that little understated gem of wisdom? To paraphrase, it basically said that he has been shaving for 40 years, has never sanitized a razor, and has never had a shaving-related infection.

People need to get over the germophobia! I'm a full-time infectious diseases doctor and I see the worst and most devastating infections in the hospital. I don't sanitize my razor. I don't use alcohol, I don't use Marvicide/Barbicide......I don't even use Scrubbing Bubbles. I rinse it off with water and put it into its stand. And yes, the stand is in the bathroom. I've been shaving since 1973 or so and, like Ken, have yet to have a shaving-related infection.

This thread is great fodder for the germophobes. If you are one, then proceed to freak out over this.

If you're concerned about the toilet being a source of contamination, then close the lid! That's what it's there for.
(Geeze, we survive public restrooms)

Careful with the bleach. Bleach does cause corrosion on some metals. I know for a fact that it will make stainless steel rust.

I agree with the doctors that being cut by the razor led to the infection. Create an open wound and it's the perfect path into the body. I don't agree that the razor was harboring the infection. It could have come from too many other sources, and was likely on the skin before the shave began. I would be interested to know what pathogen is behind the problem.

Wow. Seriously?

Of all the posts in this thread, I like Ken's best. Does anybody remember that little understated gem of wisdom? To paraphrase, it basically said that he has been shaving for 40 years, has never sanitized a razor, and has never had a shaving-related infection.

People need to get over the germophobia! I'm a full-time infectious diseases doctor and I see the worst and most devastating infections in the hospital. I don't sanitize my razor. I don't use alcohol, I don't use Marvicide/Barbicide......I don't even use Scrubbing Bubbles. I rinse it off with water and put it into its stand. And yes, the stand is in the bathroom. I've been shaving since 1973 or so and, like Ken, have yet to have a shaving-related infection.
But, but, but... they're germs! Germs are germy and ... icky!!! LOL!!!

How do they know it was due to not sanitizing the razor? While the infection may have started at the site of a razor nick, It could have been the brush that applied lather, the hand that touched the face, the towel that dried the face........

Exactly. And, the razor doesn't ever cut you--it would be the blade which is originally sanitized. Unless you used the blade several times, eventually nicking yourself, after the blade picked up a bug. Or maybe your hands picked up the bug and you touched your face, as described above.

How do they know it was due to not sanitizing the razor? While the infection may have started at the site of a razor nick, It could have been the brush that applied lather, the hand that touched the face, the towel that dried the face........

Well thought out....

Wow. Seriously?

Gotta love those gun-ho doctors---read http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23372117-doctors-who-dont-wash-hands-kill-more-people-than-drink-drivers.do

Its not an isolated study, theres plenty more.

Looks like it has all been covered, but I just went through this, but no where near my face. I had an abscess that went from nothing to larger than a deck of card in three days. Had to have the tissue cut out, not just lanced. Then spent a week in the hospital on IV antibiotics. It was MSRA staph. I asked the Dr. how you get that? Her answer,"a clogged pore, ingrown hair, anything that might break the skin. We all are covered in staph. It happens quite often."

Interesting thread.

I've always known that bacteria don't survive very well on dry surfaces.

Some viruses and such can, but not really if you rinse with hot water and dry it.

I might be new to DE shaving, and really having fun with it, but after close to 30 years of shaving with cartridges and electrics (that all ripped my face off, which is why I decided to finally try DE), I've never had trouble.

I always made sure that the cartridges were clean, by rinsing under hot water until nothing was left on the blades, and the electric ones, I never did anything.

As far as what I'm doing now, I rinse with very hot water (regular tap hot), open the butterfly up to let the air through a bit better so to have it dry. I usually keep a enough lather to wash my face with my brush and rinse with a facecloth (as hot as I can), and then apply the aftershave (OS), which I rinse afterwards a bit so that it's not too strong smelling.

Then again, by the time I've done my lather, my hands and face have been washed.

I'm waiting for a Gillette (adjustable) which I will make sure to clean it well before first use (including a ultrasonic cleaner), but afterwards, I don't think that I'll really be that concerned.

Last edited:
Don't shave while using the toilet, unless it's the day after Thanksgiving and you just need to save a some time before heading to walmart at 2 am.

# Thread Closed #

Don't shave while using the toilet, unless it's the day after Thanksgiving and you just need to save a some time before heading to walmart at 2 am.

# Thread Closed #

Haha +1
You've gotta remember that believe it or not, humans have actually survived for a long period of time in a bacterial infested environment, so there's no need to worry so much. Simple: don't touch poo and wipe it on your face (hard to resist, I know). The skin barrier is very protective and the only way for staph to infect is to get through the skin layer. Cut yourself? Make sure to disinfect quickly and forget it. I rinse my blade with 70% EtOH but I don't feel the need to barbicide every time.

Top Bottom