What's new

B&M Night Music

Let me start out by saying, I just discovered Barrister and Mann based on reviews here. I picked up First Snow and Seville; let me just say amazing. Easily the best lather I have used to date, even better than PdP and MWF, top performers for me. Scents were amazing as well. Figured Id pick up some Night Music, Hallows (hard to find that one) and Cologne Russe. Impressed with all smells, especially Hallows (couldnt find the splash so I gotta get it when it comes around again). The exception is Night Music. With all respect, it has *** edited - my descrption was a bit strong ** I cant get past it.

Anyone else find the scent a little off putting? I am gonna gather all their glissant varieties, because the shave is phenominal though. I think Dickens from Amazon is next. Any that are cant miss?

Last edited:
Leviathan is one of my fav from b&m.

I just got night music. First go was ok scent wise. I'll give it another couple go's before I make my decision on it

Yeah, I gotta give it two or three shaves before the final verdict. I will have to pif if I dont turn that corner though.

I will def look for Leviathan. Thanks!

it smells so bad......: so so bad. Fireside is really good if you can find it Leveithan is a nice scent too. I don't like Dickens either it's not off putting like Night Music but not a fan of smelling like a cookie.

Thanks for the review! For me it is all about performance. I tend to lighter scents. YMMV for sure!

Night Music scent varies from person to person. Some hate it, some love it. Oddly, my girlfriend hates it out of the tub but loves it after I've shaved. My nose doesn't pick up all the musk that others do, just mostly vanilla and iris with some musk hiding in the background. Sadly, this scent has caused a lot of hate mail and insults to family for B&M so it almost didn't come back this time. That said, I love the scent. ;)

B&M recommendations! Lavanille is one of the first that pops to mind but it has some musk in it as well, though nowhere nearly as much as NM.

While not glissant, several of the Latha line are excellent in performance and scent - Taiga smells like a piney forest, Sandalwood is obvious and Oceana is a fresh, clean scent.

Leviathan smells like coffee and leather, with more coffee in the splash.

Seville is a barbershop with a citrus kick, quite lovely.

Cheshire is said to smell exactly like Earl Grey Tea.

Id have to refresh my memory on some more.

Hallows and Dickens won't be back until 2018.

Jeez, hate mail?
If you don't like it don't buy it, not rocket science.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Cheshire is really nice. I would have also picked up Seville, but had CRSW Barbeire sapone and didn't want something too similar. Once that's finished Seville is next.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

I really enjoy the scent direction/path that B&M is on...specifically the complexity and nuances of multiple notes blended together. It's very similar to the various fragrances/perfumes that one would buy at store --- You will find some fragrances that you like while finding others that you don't.

Nigh Music is great. In fact, I like the soap scent better than the AS. The AS seems to have way more strawberry than the soap. There is nothing quite like the scent as you open the container and let it bloom before lathering.

I think the skill required to marry the scents together is an impressive skill, on top of the quality of soap is amazing. I am hoping this scent grows on me though.

Do you bloom the BM soaps? Seems they lather super easily without.

I say explore many other scents and come back to this one day in the future.I bought night music when it came out last year. I thought the scent was vile and disgusting. I didn't even lather it before I sold it the next day. Needless to say my B&M collection grew over the next several months, and I loved the night music artwork so around August I decided to buy it again. This time around I was oddly attracted to the scent. In this last release I bought the soap, AS, and EDT and this now remains one of my favorite scents. Give it time!

B & M's seasonal's, in my opinion, are scents you will either love or hate there really isn't any middle ground. From their regular lineup the can't misses for me are Seville and Cologne Russe.

Personally I love Night Music, it's complex and sultry. In the dating field I will usually get compliments on my choices so the ladies like it (scent)!

I got my Night Music in the pre-sale this year. I had to see what all the fuss was about, plus, it sounded like a fun scent. When it arrived, I felt a little disappointed when I opened the jar and took a whiff. If I had picked it up in a store and smelled it, I probably would have just put the lid back on and placed it back on the shelf. WOW what a strong, concentrated scent.

Knowing what I know about soaps like Chiseled Face Midnight Stag and Sherlock, I knew not to pass final judgement on it until I had lathered and used it. It was almost a completely different soap for me, once lathered. That's the cool thing about some of these more controversial scents - they open up into something a lot more wonderful and complex once they're lathered.

It's one of my favorite soaps now that I've used it a couple of times. The aftershave is just the cherry on top, bringing out more of the vanilla aroma.

You can put a check in the "love it!" column by my name! I'll definitely be trying out some more of Will's soaps and aftershaves, and I'll definitely be back for more Night Music!

B&M scents have to be some of the most polarizing I've encountered. That being said, I don't have a reading on Night Music because I haven't used it yet (when my 3017 of the Haslinger is over...I might lather this one up a couple times before I move on), but my impression of it just from the container has changed since I bought it. When I first opened it, my eyes started watering and I couldn't figure out why it did that. The scent was strong, to say the least.

Now that I've had a few more tries at it, I can smell the vanilla and the musk pretty strongly. There's definitely some floral notes to it and I can't really pick out the strawberry. I do know from experience with other B&M scents (Beaudelaire comes to mind right now) that the scent changes when lathered.

I can say with confidence this is the 3rd time I've bought a B&M soap and had to go through an acclimation period with it. I got it once with Beaudelaire, a second time with Cologne Russe, and now with Night Music. I keep telling myself I'm not going to buy more, but the scents are interesting and complex, and like an addict, I pull the trigger on the seasonal/limited scents....

Jeez, hate mail?
If you don't like it don't buy it, not rocket science.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I would assume that the problem is that people were upset that they spent their hard-earned money, only to receive a nasty surprise. Most people would not buy something if they knew that it was going to disappoint them.

With that being said, B&M has a reputation for having extremely unusual and polarizing scents. Anyone buying their soaps should understand that their purchases are going to be a gamble.

I have not had the displeasure of coming across a scent that I find disgusting. I held off on B&M for awhile and finally went for Leviathan. Interesting combination of scents. Recently traded it away because I didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped. I did find myself sniffing it occasionally - trying to figure out if I liked it or not. LOL

I've been in the annual restraint the past two Januarys so I haven't been able to try the Night Music. I have learned to love almost every B&M scent (including Roam) that I've tried though. The only one that I haven't been able to bear is Leviathan.

Will is not your typical artisan soap maker. Yes, he has his line of "standard" scents, but what seems to get the most attention are those scents where he's really trying something new, or, as I've learned from reading about him, he's trying to re-create something really old. Not only is he trying to expand the boundaries of wetshaving products, he's trying to expand our boundaries/comfort zones as well.

I'm not knocking other artisans who "play it safe". Everyone has to do what they're comfortable with. But, I totally respect what artisans like him, and Ron from Chiseled Face Groomatorium are all about. What I will never respect or understand, is someone sending hatemail because they don't like something. If the way you spend your money has that kind of effect on you, maybe you need to reconsider buying something sight unseen, or in this case, scent un-smelled. Do your research, find out what other people have to say about a scent. If you have to be on the bleeding edge and order a first run of a new product with no reviews, then don't complain about it if you don't like it.

...just my two cents...

Top Bottom