What's new

Australian Traveling Box No.5!

@Luc, Thanks mate, always good to have a mod on your side!

@Mark, what a good way to kick off this round. I've never used any speick products, but have been wanting to try them for a while now. How does the creams performance compare to the stick?

@Mark, what a good way to kick off this round. I've never used any speick products, but have been wanting to try them for a while now. How does the creams performance compare to the stick?

I love Speick stuff. The more people that get to try it, the better.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Well, well. A few nice surprises in the box and a few old favourites. It certainly has grown since last I saw it, I think we do need to take stuff OUT if we put stuff IN. i'll be leading the charge in that respect.

So this morning I grabbed the Speick cream. I've used the soap stick and A/S before but not the cream. The first thing I noticed was the lavender - very different smell to the usual Speick signature aroma. The lavender was a nice, authentic smell though, very natural, not some fake attempt at lavender so quite nice.

The cream itself lathered well and worked well on my face. It was a fine cream but not quite as good as the soap IMHO. There are certainly creams out there I would consider 'better'.

I finished off with some of my Lucky Tiger A/S as I knew that it faded quickly. I wanted to try the Pashana Original EDC without a strong A/S interfering. I've been wanting to try the Pashana A/S for a while so this was the next best thing!

The Pashana EDC is 'intended for use on both hair and skin in the old barbershop tradition' -I just stuck with the skin!

Billed as a 'refreshing blend of fine essential oils including Oils of Orange, Lemon and Rosemary' I'd heard that Pashana has a reputation for staying power. This is certainly true but in a good way. It was not overpowering but lingering for a lot of the day - which I like. I'd certainly like to try the A/S now and see whether Pashana is a must have long term.

A good day one!

I started using the Pashana AS this week and it's different, I like it!

Count me in please !

AN idea: If there are a number of participants say in the one city, might be best to contact them to work out suburbs etc may even be possible for someone to drop the box off to the next person rather than posting it ! One less opportunity for Australia post to screw up !

Edit: Damn it just realised I am WAY too late.

Last edited:
Day Two with the Travelling Box

I have some meetings today and am trying a new blade anyway so I wanted to keep experimentation to a minimum.

I got some Voskhod blades through the TSD group buy which arrived yesterday. I've thrown a pack in the travelling box and tried one out this morning. First impression (take it with a grain of salt) is that this is a good blade. Nice and sharp but also smooth first up. Could be a new favourite for me.

So the other thing I tried from the box itself was the TOBS Sandalwood - WOW this stuff is good. Great feeling on the face and the sandalwood scent gets the tick from my wife. A couple of hours later it has largely faded but it was pretty good to start off with. Given the longevity I think I would tend towards the Pashana (but it is an EDC not A/S)

Yep, TOBS is good stuff. Some have criticised the scent as not being Sandalwood, but to me the scent is still nice (whatever the true scent is).

Day Two with the Travelling Box

I have some meetings today and am trying a new blade anyway so I wanted to keep experimentation to a minimum.

I got some Voskhod blades through the TSD group buy which arrived yesterday. I've thrown a pack in the travelling box and tried one out this morning. First impression (take it with a grain of salt) is that this is a good blade. Nice and sharp but also smooth first up. Could be a new favourite for me.

So the other thing I tried from the box itself was the TOBS Sandalwood - WOW this stuff is good. Great feeling on the face and the sandalwood scent gets the tick from my wife. A couple of hours later it has largely faded but it was pretty good to start off with. Given the longevity I think I would tend towards the Pashana (but it is an EDC not A/S)

Day Four with the Traveling Box

Firstly my apologies for not posting Day Three - was one of those days....

So to Day Four. Had a few things to do so didn't shower and shave till late PM. I've been keen to try Mitchells Wool Fat (AKA - 'the Fat') for a while. I have a puck unopened but I didn't realise there was some in the last box to try.

I've cut off a decent bit and put in an Old Spice mug to lather in. It certainly lathers up a storm - great lather with the Simpson MC. No real scent (except lanolin!) but works well. A nice soap and if you had skin issues with other soaps this might provide a great alternative. Personally I'm not sure about it. Sure, if works wonderfully but it it not the 'nirvana' soap for me - expect to see my unused puck on the B/S/T sometime.

Being the afternoon I thought I'd finish off with the Booster Polar Ice. Now I though with a name like that and a blue colour I'd be getting a HUGE menthol hit. No, that was not the case. It was, really, a little nothing :( Don't get me wrong it felt good on the skin but I raved about the Oriental Spice in the last box, this one is a little, ho hum to be honest.

Not sure if I'm getting old and cranky but the products I've tried (except the TOBS Sandalwood) have been a little underwhelming to be honest. At least I've not invested a lot in buying them to find out!

Day Four with the Traveling Box

Firstly my apologies for not posting Day Three - was one of those days....

Not sure if I'm getting old and cranky but the products I've tried (except the TOBS Sandalwood) have been a little underwhelming to be honest. At least I've not invested a lot in buying them to find out!

Those days do happen.......

good luck with the rest of the box- I hope that your Sunday shave is special! Thanks for the updates Mark.

Day Five with the Traveling Box

Still using the MWF sample I cut off. It really is a good soap, great slick lather. Not sure if I don't like anything about it, more than I just can't find anything special to love about it.

So another great shave which I finished off with the Pinaud Clubman. Now one of the revelations of that last box for me was the Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve. I liked it so much I kept a small sample.

The 'normal' Clubman is quite different. Like most Pinaud products it changes scent. Different in the bottle/first splash on the face/1 minute on/10 + minutes on. The first splash I didn't like but 1 minute on and it is powdery and certainly the 'warm musk background' is obvious. It is a very comforting and safe scent although I'm not sure that I would describe it as a 'Suave, masculine fragrance' - it is hard to put in words. It reminds me of that favourite comfy armchair in the lounge as opposed to some of the chic contemporary furniture you see advertised on TV, more grandpa than hipster.

Like most Clubman products though it works and feels great on the face - they certainly know how to produce a quality aftershave.

Luc

Staff member
Day Five with the Traveling Box

Still using the MWF sample I cut off. It really is a good soap, great slick lather. Not sure if I don't like anything about it, more than I just can't find anything special to love about it.

So another great shave which I finished off with the Pinaud Clubman. Now one of the revelations of that last box for me was the Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve. I liked it so much I kept a small sample.

The 'normal' Clubman is quite different. Like most Pinaud products it changes scent. Different in the bottle/first splash on the face/1 minute on/10 + minutes on. The first splash I didn't like but 1 minute on and it is powdery and certainly the 'warm musk background' is obvious. It is a very comforting and safe scent although I'm not sure that I would describe it as a 'Suave, masculine fragrance' - it is hard to put in words. It reminds me of that favourite comfy armchair in the lounge as opposed to some of the chic contemporary furniture you see advertised on TV, more grandpa than hipster.

Like most Clubman products though it works and feels great on the face - they certainly know how to produce a quality aftershave.

MWF is quite something IMO. It's pretty good soap!

I really like the regular Pinaud Clubman. The Reserve was good but not as good as the regular!

Great posts Mark.

I've definitely hit a wall in the past, as far as trying new products go. Now I just use what I'm in the mood for, rather than feeling pressured to try each and every product under the sun. In saying that though, I just placed an order for arko, tweex and derby shave sticks, so I hardly practice what I preach :lol:

I didn't mind the Booster Polar Ice, but it is not really a standout as far as splashes go. I liken it to Mennen Skin Bracer Cooling Blue, but less powdery.

Day Six with the Traveling Box

Another day another MWF shave. The sliver I cut off was either larger than i thought or this is the magic pudding of soaps. It is growing on me too. A really nice soap but still doesn't hit the must have category.

Finished off with the Clubman Special Reserve. I enjoyed this with the last box and had to check it out again. Here is what I said then:

By way of background The Veg doesn't like me. I've tried it and it doesn't work. Clubman Bay Rum is just a straight bay rum - simple really - whereas the Special Reserve, like Lilac Vegetal, seems to be a love it or hate it experience.

So open the bottle, have a sniff, like what I smell.

Pour in hand and splash some on my face - ARRGGHHHH!!!! what is this stuff, it is horrible!! :censored: - this is the work of the -> :devil:

Wait, hang on, it doesn't smell so bad now - what is going on :001_huh:

OK, it is smelling different again! This is messing with my head :confused1

Seems to have settled down now. Hmm, do I like this or not?

In terms of efficacy it seems like a great aftershave/cologne. My face feels good after using it. The scent seems to be commonly described as leathery, and that is probably the core of it. But read some reviews and you will see people using a very wide range of descriptions for the scent. I think that this reflects the complexity of this product.

Between Lilac Vegetal and this Special Reserve I think Ed Pinaud must have really enjoyed messing with peoples olfactory nerves - certainly an interesting experience.

So I think that the Special Reserve is a :thumbup1: despite some reservations. It deserves further investigation and I think I'll decant some before passing the box on.

Nothing much has changed - except I know what to expect. It is not the normal Clubman on steroids it is different again. They really do know their stuff at this place. Not for everybody but I'm a fan, I just can't put my finger on why!

Day Seven with the Traveling Box

Once again it was the MWF soap - sorry not much variety there!

Finished off with the Pino Silvestre aftershave. Now I just love doing research on this sort of thing. It seems that 'No less than 12 natural essential oils go into Pino Silvestre Original' and it is an Italian 'classic' launched in Venice back in 1955, so it is even older than me! Don't worry though because 'It remains as vibrant today as it did over half a century ago' and 'its intrinsic virility is more convincing than ever' - very glad to hear that!

Allegedly it combines 'woody and moss notes with spice and fresh citrus, the fragrance was created to meet the strong, irresistible need for nature inherent in every one of us.'

Now with that out of the way, how was it? MEH, it was OK, nothing special

I really am a misery guts this time around - must be nearly time to pass the box onto somebody who will be more positive!

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
I think you did good Mark! Trying new shaving gear can't be positive all the time!

Day Eight with the Traveling Box

Yet again it was the MWF soap - really in two minds about this. Some days it seems OK, other days nothing special!

Finished it off with CANOE. I've not heard of this before but it has been around for a while, launched in 1932, so it might go nicely with the use of a nice vintage razor.

I quite like this as did my wife. Nothing outstanding but looking at the price you couldn't go wrong in my view. Just a middle of the road scent that linger a bit, not as old man as the Clubman but not too young and funky. Might even pick up some.

Must be time to bring my time with the box to an end. There is LOTS more stuff but much of it I've tried in Box IV. Must be time for Dr Berko to PM me his address!

(Hi Luc, thanks for reading my drivel!)

Day Nine with the Traveling Box

Same soap, same questions.

Finished off with Malizia UOMO Vetyver After Shave Tonic Lotion. No I thought I'd heard it all with produce descriptions for these things but this is one of the best from this site.:

'The non-ending ride on a wild stallion trough the lawns of the plane. Come for a ride and enjoy the fragrance of fresh grass.'

So there you go guys. Want to escape on a wild stallion - this is the A/S for you. Alternatively, if you are into the whole pro-vitamin, dermatologically tested angle the NZ distributor has that covered:

'This Tonic id formulated with Provitamin B5 (pantenol).Apply after every shaving, it soothes and protects the skin leaving the feeling of well- being. It carries out a dermo-protective action and leaves a fresh sensation of softness and well-being on your skin.'

Take you pick - wild stallions or dermo-protective. For me it was, well, OK

So, that was my final run with the Box. I've got a few(???) bits of packing around here I might see if i can upgrade the box. I've decanted a couple of A/Ss there were in heavy glass containers into plastic and will play around with weight and costs.

Overall impression? If you can't find a few things in the box you like you are not trying hard enough! It is huge with a wide range of products. There is a whole puck of a mystery white soap that I'll probably kick myself for no trying but I think that is part of the fun with the box.

Thanks for reading my ramblings!

Top Bottom