What's new

ATT SE2 Reviews?

I think people said that there was too much similarity to the SE1 in aggresiveness, so there was the implied question as to why they should own both that were so similar. I think that Stan wanted to put some distance in the way that they shaved relative to each other. I was completely satisfied with my SE2, but I found it to shave similarly to my RX when the SE2 is loaded with a Pro Super blade (which I deem to be pretty exceptional by the way). I too would like some distance between them, and I would definitely consider trying the v2 SE2 if I sell my v1.

I have the SE2,ver.2 and if you ever do get this version,please compare it to the RX. If the version 1 aggression was similar to the RX, I am sure the version 2 will be more aggressive than the RX. I find the SE2,version 2 with a feather-pro to be a pretty perfect shave.

I have the SE2,ver.2 and if you ever do get this version,please compare it to the RX. If the version 1 aggression was similar to the RX, I am sure the version 2 will be more aggressive than the RX. I find the SE2,version 2 with a feather-pro to be a pretty perfect shave.

Keep in mind I was comparing the more aggressive Pro Super blade in the v1 SE2 to the RX loaded with the Pro blade. Had both razors been loaded with the pro blade, I suspect the RX would have been more aggressive. But I did not actually do this comparison.

Keep in mind I was comparing the more aggressive Pro Super blade in the v1 SE2 to the RX loaded with the Pro blade. Had both razors been loaded with the pro blade, I suspect the RX would have been more aggressive. But I did not actually do this comparison.
I understand,but from what I have read,Stan really upped the aggression from Ver. 1 to ver. 2. I never used the version 1,but the version 2 is pretty aggressive,so I wonder how Ver. 2 compares with the RX with the same blade.

I understand,but from what I have read,Stan really upped the aggression from Ver. 1 to ver. 2. I never used the version 1,but the version 2 is pretty aggressive,so I wonder how Ver. 2 compares with the RX with the same blade.

I wonder as well, but have no way of asking the question. I may order the v2 SE2 baseplate in order to find out though. Just not sure how many high end AC type SE razors a person needs when my daily shaving solution is a straight razor 98% of the time.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs

Bear in mind that the most aggressive of the Feather shavette blades, the Pro Super, may not fit in the Rx. I had an Rx for a time, the Supers did not play nice in it (they would load but had to be pried out to remove) and I was advised by Phil at Bullgoose that the Rx wasn't designed to use the Supers. But, I have seen posts from folks claiming to use them in that razor. I let the Rx go before the Att Ver 2 was released, so can't do a real time comparison. Memory says they would be comparable fitted with the same exact blade ..

Bear in mind that the most aggressive of the Feather shavette blades, the Pro Super, may not fit in the Rx. I had an Rx for a time, the Supers did not play nice in it (they would load but had to be pried out to remove) and I was advised by Phil at Bullgoose that the Rx wasn't designed to use the Supers. But, I have seen posts from folks claiming to use them in that razor. I let the Rx go before the Att Ver 2 was released, so can't do a real time comparison. Memory says they would be comparable fitted with the same exact blade ..

Thanks for the reply. :thumbup:

I broke down and got a used v2 SE2 baseplate from ATT. Once it comes in, I'll put a Pro blade in it and compare it to the RX.

This from my journal today:

Yesterday I received the V2 SE2 baseplate from ATT. So this morning I did side by side comparison shave of the Asylum RX (4) on the left side of the face, and a V2 ATT SE2 (2) shave on the right side with a Feather Pro blade loaded in each. I had done this comparison when I first got the Asylum RX, comparing it with the V1 SE2. During this initial comparison, I noted that the V1 SE2 with a Pro Super blade installed had a very similar face feel and aggressiveness as did the RX with a Pro blade loaded.

To provide a little background on the V1 SE2, this baseplate was launched by ATT back in the fall of 2016. The first AC SE type that ATT launched was the SE1, which is a closed comb AC type single edge razor. After the launch of the closed comb SE1, ATT released the first version of the SE2, the same type of razor except in an open comb version. Apparently a significant number of people who had purchased the SE1 then also purchased the open comb SE2. The people who had tried both the SE1 had mentioned here and other places that the SE2 shaved very similar to the SE1, and apparently provided ATT with this customer feedback. In response, Stan at ATT redesigned the SE2 to be more aggressive, and to increase the distance between it and the SE1 in the way it shaved. I received the first V1 SE2 in November, and ATT launched the V2 SE2 in mid December. However, by the time I was aware of this new version, more than 30 days had passed and I could not trade my V1 baseplate with a V2. ATT had a used V2 baseplate on their website at a reduced price, so I pulled the trigger on it.

My observation regarding the shave today is that the V2 SE2 loaded with a Pro blade does seem to be slightly less aggressive than the RX when both razors are loaded with Pro Blades. This is not surprising to me as the V1 SE2 was about the same in aggressiveness as the RX when the V1 SE2 was loaded with a Pro Super, and the RX with a pro. The other day was the first day that I shaved with the V1 SE2 using a Pro blade, and I found it to be significantly milder than the same razor loaded with a Pro Super blade, at least to the feel. From what I remember from a couple of days ago, the V1 SE2 loaded with a Pro blade is milder than the V2 SE2, which is what I expect. However, I did not do the side by side yet with these two razors, and I am making this judgment based on memory. For some inexplicable reason, finding the right angle with the SE2 seems to be more intuitive for me than it is with the RX. I have a theory as to why this might be coming from the SE sub-forum. The observation has been made that people coming to the AC style of SE razors with a strong Schick Injector experience prefer the Asylum RX; whereas, people coming to this type of razor from a strong DE background prefer the ATT SE line. Perhaps this is why I find the ATT more intuitive in use as I have not used a Schick Injector since about 1972.

I ended up with a BBS on the ATT V2 SE2 side of the face, and a BBS- on the Asylum RX side of the face. To be fair, the shaves were very close with respect to the result, and I should probably switch sides and repeat the experiment tomorrow. I had no weepers or irritation from either razor. In the end, one needs more experience with both of these razors to really get the maximum performance out of them than I have. It just seems like the ATT SE line appears to be falling into place for me sooner than the RX is. I suspect it is for the injector/DE reasons mentioned. Both of these razors are quality and precise instruments that will last for generations to come, as long as there are blades made to fit them. But from a well thought out design standpoint, the Asylum really does have the edge. I just have not observed any benefit to the additional cost in the resulting shave. It might be there, I just have not realized it yet.

Yes, a very helpful review. I'd like to hear a review by someone of the SE2 v2 with a Super Pro, compared with either the RX or SE2 v2 with the Feather Pro (understanding that the Super Pro may not fit in the RX). I've found in my Mongeese that the Super Pro really ups the ante.

Yes, a very helpful review. I'd like to hear a review by someone of the SE2 v2 with a Super Pro, compared with either the RX or SE2 v2 with the Feather Pro (understanding that the Super Pro may not fit in the RX). I've found in my Mongeese that the Super Pro really ups the ante.

As I stated above, my observation with the V1 SE2 is that the Pro Super blade is much more aggressive in feel than the same razor loaded with the Pro blade. However, the Pro blade shaved surprisingly close given the mild feel of that razor. With this head/base combination, I have concluded that I got no benefit from the added aggresiveness of the Pro Super blade. I have not tried the Pro Super blade in the V2 SE2 yet, but my suspicion is that it will feel considerably more aggressive than the Pro blade given my experience with the V1 base/head combination. The V2 is noticeably more aggresive in feel than the V1 when both are loaded with a Pro blade, but the difference is not a huge one IMHO. With today's shave I plan to repeat the shave above except that I will switch sides (SE2 on left and RX on right).

@McVeyMac any updates? Using the blade you find best for each razor, is the SE2 v2 still a closer shave than the Rx?
Unfortunately I have not gotten back to this experimentation. I had done a PIF as a result of a Williams challenge I was involved in, and the PIF winner also got to kick the tires on the v1, SE2 on both the Pro and Pro Super blades I sent along. I just got it back last week, and have not gotten back to it. But thanks for the reminder as I had completely forgotten that there was work left undone on this one.

I have most all of the ATT DE plates and have been an avid DE shaver for years. And for the past year (somewhere around there), all on the ATT plates. I just picked up the ATT SE1 and SE2 (V2). I've had 4 shaves on the SE1 and 1 shave on the SE2. I've used the same Kai mild pink blade so far.

Going to go a few more on the Kai blade then next try a Feather Pro.

Here is my initial reaction. There is a big difference between the SE and DE plates and I'm having to work to figure out SE shaving. My first couple of shaves on the SE1 were not great. I finally figured out that with this blade, it is a very mild shaver - perhaps like the M plates.

Today's shave with the SE2 was much better. The aggressiveness is far more to my liking.

That said, I like the solid bar plates from ATT much more than I like the open comb plates. Any of you here have the same experience? Or different?

Anyone here tried the Feather Pro in the SE1 or SE2 v2? Do you notice a difference between that and the Kai mild pink blade?

If I could get the same aggressiveness from my SE1 by changing the blade, I'd probably be happier with it than the SE2. Though I may just need to experiment with blades and technique.

I also have the General and the BlackHawk, so have a few more to try. But just love ATT, so want to work with this and get it dialed in.

Hey everyone. I had to sell my SE1 and SE2 (original version) since I was moving and needed some funds at the moment. I'm looking to buy them again but I would like to find the original SE2 version, as I really loved it and dont want more aggressiveness (new version). Does any of you have the original SE2 head version and are looking to sell it?

Hey everyone. I had to sell my SE1 and SE2 (original version) since I was moving and needed some funds at the moment. I'm looking to buy them again but I would like to find the original SE2 version, as I really loved it and dont want more aggressiveness (new version). Does any of you have the original SE2 head version and are looking to sell it?

Update: I have found it!! Many thanks to throughacoloredlens!, just purchased it from him last night.

Top Bottom