What's new

ATT SE2 Reviews?

Anyone here get a new ATT SE2 open comb?? If so post your reviews and comparisons to the SE1 and other Artist Club razors here!

I watched the video and he said he has difficulties to compare it with SE1. The only thing he mentioned is that because of OC it leaves a little bit more lather..
I am sort of reluctant to spend 73$ for just a bottom plate, especially after recently shedding nearly 250 for Asylum RX if there is no marked difetence between se1 and se2 . Se1 might be shimmed or used with Pro Super to dial up agressivness.

I haven't used the SE2 but I own the SE1 as well as many of their other razors in both OC and SB versions.

With all of the other ATT razors the OC and SB shave very similar and have the same feel. So I suspect this one may be the same. They really aren't all that different to me. The OC versions have a scratchier feel as the edges of the cutouts aren't rounded off. On a positive note they do leave a little cream behind which makes for a slightly smoother shave. As far as efficiency and aggressiveness they are the same to me.

I prefer the SB versions from ATT so I won't run out and buy the OC plate for this one but for those that don't shave as often of just prefer OC razors it's great to have this option available. After all, it's the first and only Feather Pro razor that's and available in an open comb version.

I don't have an SE1 but asked for the SE2 for Christmas. I find the open comb on my Atlas R2 to deal very well with my 3 day stubble so I'm hoping the same for the SE2. I just want a nice smooth irritation free shave. I see no need with the Artist Club blades which are super sharp to have massive blade gap or exposure. Fingers crossed.

I m going to take the SE2, i have SE1. I m undecided whether to take SE2 only plate or sell SE1 to switch to full-SE2 (I m a guy with a full ATT2 OC series and love too).

$se2_1.jpg

My SE2 base plate arrived yesterday and I swapped plates with my SE1 (with a Jurgen Hempel MF1 titanium handle) and had my first shave this morning.

I was expecting the shave to be similar to the SE1 and it was, although there were definite subtle differences. It seemed just a touch more aggressive, and the open comb gives it a slightly different face feel.

I found the ideal shaving angle to be intuitive and about the same as the SE1 - shallow, like most single edge razors.

Differences or not, everything worked and I enjoyed a great shave, unusual for my first shave with any razor.

It will be several more shaves before I can really form an opinion, but right now it looks like my SE1 base plate may be spending some time on the shelf. :thumbup1:

--Bob

I was expecting the shave to be similar to the SE1 and it was, although there were definite subtle differences. It seemed just a touch more aggressive, and the open comb gives it a slightly different face feel.

I found the ideal shaving angle to be intuitive and about the same as the SE1 - shallow, like most single edge razors.

--Bob

Please keep more information :001_rolle
Worth switch plate to open? Be smoother shave?

Thank you

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I received an ATT SE2 Open Comb baseplate the other day. I have been using the SE1 in rotation since Stan sent one for testing earlier this year. I have also tried other razors of the Feather Artist Club format - first a Cobra, the Feather SS shavette, then a Mongoose, more recently the Asylum Rx, and the ATT SE1.

I'm generally a fan of Open Combed razors, so news of an ATT SE version was welcome. It is, I believe, the only stainless steel AC format razor with an Open Comb. I paired the OC with the stock Bamboo type handle, which I have found to be comfortable if a bit longer than I prefer. The new OC head was just 1 gram heavier than my safety bar version on my scale, so the razor's balance and feel in hand remained about the same for me. The combs on the SE2 are pretty minimal, and I couldn't see a difference in blade gap between that head and the SE1.

There is a difference in the shave, in a good way from my perspective. I had tagged the original SE1 as mild, even with the Feather Professional Super pro "max aggression" blades. The SE2 OC is as promised more aggressive, if not scarily so. Even with the Pro Super blades I got a smooth comfortable BBS shave. With the base Feather Professional blades it shaved smoother, albeit a bit less close for me. The nice thing about the ATT SEs is that one can use the full range of available Artist Club style blades to customize the aggressiveness of the shave. The open comb also leaves behind some lather that I think helps when buffing the rough patches, and I have plenty of those.

I'd highly recommend the SE2. After three shaves, I think that for me at least, the SE2 Open Comb will likely replace the safety bar version. A unique razor with the Open Comb, the SE2 would be a good plunge into AC shaving, or if you have the SE1 a worthwhile upgrade if you'd like a tad more bite or just enjoy old style combs.

Note- my earlier thoughts on the SE1 are here http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/495013-Above-the-Tie-Bamboo-SE1-A-Review?highlight=

garyg,

Out of those AC razors you have tried (except for the shavette), would you say the SE2 is the most aggressive? If not, which one is?

Thanks for your review. Now that the iKon El Jefe is out of the equation, I'm looking for the most aggressive AC razor.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
garyg,

Out of those AC razors you have tried (except for the shavette), would you say the SE2 is the most aggressive? If not, which one is?

Thanks for your review. Now that the iKon El Jefe is out of the equation, I'm looking for the most aggressive AC razor.

It's hard for me to say which is most aggressive - the Cobra was used quite a while ago on a passaround, the one I ordered was returned for shoddy workmanship, so I haven't used one in a couple years. It was, I recall, pretty aggressive. I just sold the Mongoose, which was about the same as the SE2 using a Pro Super blade. The Asylum wasn't designed to be able to use the Pro Supers, with the regular Professional blade I feel it is similar in feel to the SE2, although the Rx looks to have a larger gap. Note that my use of the last two is limited to a couple shaves each.

Hopefully someone with all of them & recent experience can be of more help ..

I have shaved 3 times with the SE2 and have to tell, this razor is amazing!!! This and the ATT SE1 are becoming my go-to Razors, even beginning to overtake my beloved ATT R1! They give a great comfortable shave without much effort. Can't really ask for more! Highes Quality razors, and they do provide the Highest quality shave!!! I recomment both the ATT SE1 and SE2. I find them pretty much the same, with the SE2 being maybe a tad more aggresive.

Aggresiveness Comparison:

ATT SE1: 5.5/10
ATT SE2: 6/10

It sounds like I'm going to like the SE2! After using a Cobra Classic, Mongoose, DX & SS, I don't feel the Artist Club blades need a very aggressive setup. The blade is the star and too large an exposure or blade gap isn't necessary... for me at least. Just a nice smooth efficient setup. I hope this is the one.

Thanks for all the review information here gents. I have the full line of ATT DE plates in the open comb versions, H2, R2 and M2 as well as the slant.. I started using a straight razor soon after receiving these, so now I rarely shave with the DE unless I am rushed. Then the H2 gets the call on the Colossus handle. I also have the Astra and Kronos handles. Needless to say I am a fan of the product line.

I also have Feather DX handles in both folding and Kami style, as well as KAI Captain Standard folding handle version shavettes and a supply of KAI Captain Mild and Feather Pro Super blades on hand. I was looking for an AC style SE option to try out, and this thread helped me make up my mind. The SE2 is in the mail.

I would ask if there are other opinions from users for the ATT SE2.

Yes, sorry I misread your original post as a statement rather than a question.

What other opinions are there on the SE2 head. I know that it has not been released that long ago, so any SE1 opinions are likely relevant here as well.

Stan posted that there will be an updated version of the SE2 plate with deeper combs and increased blade gap and angle. For anyone that gets one please post your reviews here. Also if you have tried both old and new versions of the SE2 head please update us with your comparisons of the two. Thanks!

I received my ATT SE2 head a couple of days ago and have had two shaves with it so far. (I believe it's the redesigned, more aggressive SE2 head.) I used my usual blade, the Feather AC Pro Super, which I normally load into a Feather AC DX or Kai Captain straight. A straight is often supposed to be infinitely aggressive, but this is a myth. A straight can actually be the gentlest of shaves, depending on how you wield it. In any case, the SE2 with a fresh Pro Super blade is quite aggressive -- right up there with the Mühle 2011 R41 -- and a bit more aggressive than I'm used to with the Feather or Kai straight razors. The shave is wonderful -- two passes plus touch-up for BBS. For my first shave I used the humongous Matador S5 stainless handle, and for last night's I used the slender but still hefty Weber 2012 Classic handle. Both were very nice, and the weight of the handles added to the aggressiveness of the shave. Tonight I think I'll try using the ATT Kronos handle.

The new SE2 is top-notch. It won't replace my straights, but I will keep going back to it for its effectiveness and ease of use. Two thumbs up. :thumbup:

Top Bottom