What's new

Astra Platinum

I seem to be getting a pretty good shave with these. I jumped on to see what others were thinking, whats your issue with them, other then the rusty saw comment...?

There seems to be quality control issues, some people get great shaves some get very rough shaves. Myself and others on the forum have found that about 1 in 5 will give a really rough shave with razor burn first time round then give perfectly smooth shaves afterwards, hence why some suggest that palm stropping before the first shave is a good idea when using an astra

With all that YMMV acknowledgement, there's no better blade than Astra SP for me. I always get a bit rough first shave with it for which I use only mild razors. Then, the next 5 (2-2.5 pass shaves) are just perfect.

With all that YMMV acknowledgement, there's no better blade than Astra SP for me. I always get a bit rough first shave with it for which I use only mild razors. Then, the next 5 (2-2.5 pass shaves) are just perfect.
Can You really get 5 shaves out of 1 Astra SP blade ? WOW ! I'm really looking forward. I usually toss blades away after 3-4 shaves (until now except Feathers, Gillette 7 am blues, Polsilver Super Iridium, but they costs about the double)

As I just posted on another thread, my first carton purchase was of AsSPlats. I found a good deal on them and bought 'em because they perform above their price point. Very happy with them.

Can You really get 5 shaves out of 1 Astra SP blade ? WOW ! I'm really looking forward. I usually toss blades away after 3-4 shaves (until now except Feathers, Gillette 7 am blues, Polsilver Super Iridium, but they costs about the double)

I admit, it's really YMMV. If I use them with my Feather/Merkur HD razors combo daily, I get 5 or 6 easy shaves with them. If I shave every other day, and decide to play with my New o/c, then I can use them for 3 to 4 shaves. So, I'm convinced it really depends on your beard type and how you use the blades.

According to my recent experience, the longevity of a blade also depends on the prep work. The better the preparation the longer they last (and the shave is smoother)

According to my recent experience, the longevity of a blade also depends on the prep work. The better the preparation the longer they last (and the shave is smoother)

Makes sense if you've sufficiently softened your whiskers it's easier for the blades to cut through them so less wear.

I don't get the hate? The glue spots don't do anything to me, and I think they're about the most consistent of all of my blades except maybe Gillette 7 o'clock or some other blade 2-3x as expensive...

+1. I find them to be a great blade and one of wet shavings true bargains. As to the glue spots, I dab a little rubbing alcohol on them and it comes right off.

Mike

+1. I find them to be a great blade and one of wet shavings true bargains. As to the glue spots, I dab a little rubbing alcohol on them and it comes right off.

Mike

I believe it's wax, not "glue" and you can save yourself having to do this, just run your razor under really hot razor and it just disappears.

Top Bottom