What's new

AS/Alum Sting+Redness

Hello Shavers,

I have a bit of experience in wet shaving.
Recently, I have been noticing the Post shave stings and redness after shaving, which is, sometimes the Alcohol based after shave or the alum bar stings lot more than usual when applied and the skin gets red afterwards.
The redness and sting subsides after a few minutes to an hour.

Why is this? Any guesses ?

My guess is a BAD/HARSH SHAVE due to bad technique or any other reason.

What are your thoughts on it ? Kindly share...

What are you shaving with? Have you started using a new soap or blades in the last couple of weeks? Do you use an after shave balm to see if that helps? I used to get a lot of razor burn with a de razor until I learned not to use any pressure with the razor. Without more information it's hard to give an informed opinion on what could be the problem.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
What are you shaving with? Have you started using a new soap or blades in the last couple of weeks? Do you use an after shave balm to see if that helps? I used to get a lot of razor burn with a de razor until I learned not to use any pressure with the razor. Without more information it's hard to give an informed opinion on what could be the problem.

+1 What have you changed ? anything at all ? prep,soap blade razor?

My best guess is that this is technique-related.

My approach is to think through what I may have done differently after a rough shave. I also apply one of the soothing AS, usually Lucky Tiger, and remember that tomorrow is another day!

+1 What have you changed ? anything at all ? prep,soap blade razor?

My best guess is that this is technique-related.

My approach is to think through what I may have done differently after a rough shave. I also apply one of the soothing AS, usually Lucky Tiger, and remember that tomorrow is another day!

I rotate soaps so it is a different soap everyday. Razor and Blade remains the same.

I suspect that your shave needs work, but it really depends on how much redness and stinging you are experiencing. If my shave wasn't as good as it could have been and I use an alcohol based splash, I tend to get some redness that goes away in maybe 15 minutes.

I'm gonna throw a whole bunch of personal subjective horse poo into the mix here. Just something I've noticed as the years have ticked by...

Typically I shave right out of bed, right out of the shower. I get up, take a shower, then shave. And I do this early in the morning. Like 4:45. And that goes well for me, easy. But lately I've noticed that if I have breakfast and a cup of coffee, then go shower and shave, it's a totally different shave. I can't shave the same way I do at 5am, it does not go well if I do.

Coming from mass manufacturing/production background and troubleshooting quality control issues: you'd be surprised at how the tiniest little tweaks can make a measurable difference. Ambient air temperature changes; humidity changes; water temp changes; your average stress level; even what foods you eat can cause a noticeable change in your skin and hair, both of which are affected in your shave.

Not to make an impossible puzzle out of shaving, but just to give some perspective. I've found that if I shave later in the day, my blood pressure is up relative to the waking hour, my hand is heavier, and so I have to consciously take a deep breath and relax and not inadvertently apply more pressure than I should to the razor. If I'm under extra pressure at work or just feeling off, I also have to apply extra care in my pressure applied.

And soaps may be the most fundamental aspect of my shave. I can get a pretty OK shave with a really bad blade razor combo for my skin, provided I use a good soap. Conversely, using my ideal razor/blade combo, a bad soap, or a bad lather rather, will give me a painful, bloody shave.

And it took me a good long while to really dial in my technique. I would also agree the others, look there first. I thought I had it dialed in until I figured out that I didn't. I found out about a year and a half into wet shaving that I couldn't apply the proper amount of pressure (little to none) unless I used a more aggressive blade. I have a somewhat sparse beard, I didn't think I would need a super sharp blade. But apparently my whiskers are really tough, because I can't do a zero-pressure shave in less than fifteen (or at least five) passes if I don't use a Feather blade.

I can get a good shave out of Astra SP and other medium aggressive blades and razors, I just have to apply some pressure to get down to the skin, which is bad form apparently.

Have you tried just rinsing and drying you face, and not using alum and AS? If you have redness and sting without the alum/AS, it's likely technique and/or gear. If no redness or sting, the alum/AS could be the culprits. Best of luck. :001_smile

One thing not mentioned yet.... Are you changing your blades more or less frequently? Are you having more problems before or after you change the blade? (really, I suppose this is still a technique issue if it increases with new blades)

Have you tried just rinsing and drying you face, and not using alum and AS? If you have redness and sting without the alum/AS, it's likely technique and/or gear. If no redness or sting, the alum/AS could be the culprits. Best of luck. :001_smile
Interesting point.

One thing not mentioned yet.... Are you changing your blades more or less frequently? Are you having more problems before or after you change the blade? (really, I suppose this is still a technique issue if it increases with new blades)
No, I use one blade for 4-6 shaves.

Hello Shavers,

I have a bit of experience in wet shaving.
Recently, I have been noticing the Post shave stings and redness after shaving, which is, sometimes the Alcohol based after shave or the alum bar stings lot more than usual when applied and the skin gets red afterwards.
The redness and sting subsides after a few minutes to an hour.

Why is this? Any guesses ?

My guess is a BAD/HARSH SHAVE due to bad technique or any other reason.

What are your thoughts on it ? Kindly share...
Inflammation of skin, Coldwater splash is my cure...

I'd have to agree with the above. Technique is failing somewhere.

Another thought, and this may sound way out there... How's your diet of late. Sleeping patterns. I notice that when my own diet and sleep isn't good, my skin suffers, therefore, so does my shave.

I'd have to agree with the above. Technique is failing somewhere.

Another thought, and this may sound way out there... How's your diet of late. Sleeping patterns. I notice that when my own diet and sleep isn't good, my skin suffers, therefore, so does my shave.
It has improved, but the neck still gets RED.
EDIT: Oh No ! Right after applying a balm, the whole face got RED and It feels its on fire. HOT !! I have no idea what is going on !?!?!?

Last edited:
It has improved, but the neck still gets RED.
EDIT: Oh No ! Right after applying a balm, the whole face got RED and It feels its on fire. HOT !! I have no idea what is going on !?!?!?

As people have said, it might be your technique or perhaps the blade or soap. I used to experience some redness after my shave too. I decided to use Thayers Medicated Superhazel after my shave, followed up by an ASB or ASL that I like. It's not a problem anymore. Give that a try. Because having used Thayers for a while, now I can go without it if I want to. Not that I do though, but sometimes you have to give your face a rest and let it heal. Thayers gives you a hand.

You may have an allergy bro. Try a different AS. I agree with Nivs. Thayers witch hazel products are pretty good. I haven't tried the medicated ones. I don't know what that involves ingredient wise, but with hazel aloe, witch hazel cucumber, etc, are all good non irritant products.

Just bc Nivea calls it "sensitive" doesn't mean some people allergic to the other garbage they put in it.

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk

And if you need a moisturizer after, try RazoRock 888. Good non irritant ingredients and a very little bit goes a long long way. Alternatively, just use aloe vera gel. I have chronic folliculitis, and other skin issues that caused me to switch to DE. I get ridiculed here from time to time for the products I plug. I'm sure someone wants to blast me for AV gel right now. But it's soothing, moisturizing, and I don't know that it's possible to be allergic to.

Work one by one to rule things out. Keep things as constant as you can while you test a variable. Good luck, I know it sucks having to figure this stuff out.

You may have an allergy bro. Try a different AS. I agree with Nivs. Thayers witch hazel products are pretty good. I haven't tried the medicated ones. I don't know what that involves ingredient wise, but with hazel aloe, witch hazel cucumber, etc, are all good non irritant products.

Just bc Nivea calls it "sensitive" doesn't mean some people allergic to the other garbage they put in it.

And if you need a moisturizer after, try RazoRock 888. Good non irritant ingredients and a very little bit goes a long long way. Alternatively, just use aloe vera gel. I have chronic folliculitis, and other skin issues that caused me to switch to DE. I get ridiculed here from time to time for the products I plug. I'm sure someone wants to blast me for AV gel right now. But it's soothing, moisturizing, and I don't know that it's possible to be allergic to.

Work one by one to rule things out. Keep things as constant as you can while you test a variable. Good luck, I know it sucks having to figure this stuff out.

Time to try some Thayer's for RAZOR BURN !

Top Bottom