What's new

Art of Shaving TI vs other TI razors

So I've been using a Gold Dollar straight razor for a few months now and have gotten the hang of it. I'd like to invest in a nice quality straight razor soon. I've had my eye on this Their Issard by Art of Shaving. I saw it in the local store and thought it was absolutely gorgeous looking. My question is, is it worth that price tag? Is this a $300 tier TI razor or am I paying a huge markup because it's AoS and should get a straight from TI direct instead? The other ones I'm looking at are this Eagle Brand, La Legende 1886, Triangle Bocote, Spartacus Festonne, Le Chasseur 3 Bears (this one is #2 on my list; love the scales on this), or Aigle Festonne. Are any of these better than the other? I'm pretty set on a TI over a Dovo or other Solingen blade; not for any particular reason.

Also, my Gold Dollar is to the point of needing honing and I found a guy locally (Bob Keyes) through B&B that does honing. Should I get my GD honed back up while I decide on my quality straight or should I get the TI and not bother honing the Gold Dollar?

Thanks for all the help and advice in advance.

In my opinion, you're paying a premium for the AoS name on it. If it was me, I'd go with a "TI direct." But if you love the look of AoS one (some do), have at it. one thing to keep in mind is it will most likely require honing. A "TI direct" option may be sold by a shop that hones them before selling. As for honing, if it's needed on the new TI, I'm happy to do it for free (just cover shipping). Just PM me if/when you're interested.

Good luck!

I love that razor and have almost picked it up a bunch of times. I think those scales will look fantastic years from now. But I am not willing to pay that much for a 5/8 TI, even if it does have a really really nice thumb notch. Damn, now you have me looking, again . . . .

In my opinion, you're paying a premium for the AoS name on it. If it was me, I'd go with a "TI direct." But if you love the look of AoS one (some do), have at it. one thing to keep in mind is it will most likely require honing. A "TI direct" option may be sold by a shop that hones them before selling.

So do you feel a TI direct is of higher quality and would make for a better shaving experience than the AoS one? Do you consider getting a TI from a 3rd party retailer like RoyalShave a TI Direct? If so, what TI retailers are good ones to look at selection and stock? :)

Last edited:
I love that razor and have almost picked it up a bunch of times. I think those scales will look fantastic years from now. But I am not willing to pay that much for a 5/8 TI, even if it does have a really really nice thumb notch. Damn, now you have me looking, again . . . .

Sorry man; they are gorgeous scales. If I could get those scales separate, I'd be tempted to get a different TI and put those scales on it. :p

Oh, and get the GD honed. That way in the future you'll have 2 razors, if one needs to be honed. Besides, you'll need a second in order to get your third, and so on . . . .

So do you feel a TI direct is of higher quality and would make for a better shaving experience than the AoS one? Do you consider getting a TI from a 3rd party retailer like RoyalShave a TI Direct? If so, what TI retailers are good ones to look at selection and stock? :)

Not really higher quality, just marked up in price for what is. They are nice and can be great shavers though so if you like it, have at it. As said above, it will likely need honing.

Yes, when I referred to "direct", I meant one of their retail distributors (other than the ones made exclusively for AoS)

Besides, you'll need a second in order to get your third, and so on . . . .

That took me a milisecond to get that, then I busted a gut. Good one Larry.

To the OP, when I get around to buying a TI, it will be a 6/8 Sparticus.

Last edited:
So I'm 98% decided on the La Legend, with a preference for the leaves spine decoration. The only place I've found that one is from Fendrihan. KnifeCenter has the La Legend, but not with that particular spine decoration. Does anyone have experience with either retailer and/or have a preference for one over the other? It seems neither of them hones before shipping the razor out, so I'll have to find someone to hone it before I use it I guess.

$THI1884_Thiers_Issard_Legende_Razor_8A.jpg

Do you have a picture of the TI you are considering? I know I am a bit late to the thread here....

I have 3 TI razors from AoS. They are all the same blade shape (5/8 LeGrelot with a thumb notch, shoulderless) and I love them to death. Of the 3, 2 required honing when I purchased them. Personally I love the rams horn and the laser-etched boxwood. I have a couple of other TI razors as well and they are the top of the heap for my "go to" razors.

Are the AoS TIs a bit over-priced, yes. Do you still get the quality one would expect from a TI, absolutely, but certainly without the honing out of the box part. Your choice above is an excellent one as well.

Do you have a picture of the TI you are considering? I know I am a bit late to the thread here....

I have 3 TI razors from AoS. They are all the same blade shape (5/8 LeGrelot with a thumb notch, shoulderless) and I love them to death. Of the 3, 2 required honing when I purchased them. Personally I love the rams horn and the laser-etched boxwood. I have a couple of other TI razors as well and they are the top of the heap for my "go to" razors.

Are the AoS TIs a bit over-priced, yes. Do you still get the quality one would expect from a TI, absolutely, but certainly without the honing out of the box part. Your choice above is an excellent one as well.

The AoS one:
$00670535711483.png

And the non-AoS one from Fendrihan:
View attachment 605767

That's a wonderful offer, Jon. OP, I have two razors Jon honed. He puts a sweet coticule edge on that is absolutely terrific. I would enjoy that edge happily on either of the razors you're considering.

That's a wonderful offer, Jon. OP, I have two razors Jon honed. He puts a sweet coticule edge on that is absolutely terrific. I would enjoy that edge happily on either of the razors you're considering.

thanks larry, appreciate the thumbs up. but OP, i likely have whatever finisher you want

For what its worth, I got an AOS razor, 5/8 stainless steel scales yesterday, I stropped it and it gave a fantastic shave right out of the box. I agree you should not count on it but they do seem to get it right sometimes.

I was not crazy about the stainless scales of the big AOS stamp on the blade but it was cheap, so I bought it and I am actually surprised how much I liked it. I have never tried a Dovo, I always thought why bother, I have a handful of vintage blades already so how could a newly manufactured blade be any better? But this is a really good blade and in my case, ready to go without anything else but a quick stropping.

So I'm 98% decided on the La Legend, with a preference for the leaves spine decoration. The only place I've found that one is from Fendrihan. KnifeCenter has the La Legend, but not with that particular spine decoration. Does anyone have experience with either retailer and/or have a preference for one over the other? It seems neither of them hones before shipping the razor out, so I'll have to find someone to hone it before I use it I guess.

View attachment 605674

I have this razor.
In my opinion, the spine deco is nice but the plastic scales are not quite the same quality as the rest of the Theirs-Issard range.
Having said that, my prior experience with even high-end TI blades has been mixed 'out of the box'.
One was excellent whereas another required repair.
My couple of AOS TI blades were uniformly excellent.

Top Bottom