What's new

Aristocrat Pass it forward (around)

Ok guys, here is the updated list! Glad the excitement is still fresh, bigbull you got sum serious wordsmithing skillz brah.

Zenless, basically if you see something you like in the box take it.

I'd prefer to keep what's in there a mystery both for the sake of fun, and so no one feels like they must replace with equal or greater value. It's not a contest, so no need to "keep up with the joneses". Take if you wish, replace with whatever you can.

1: BigBull
2: Redstar
3: Shavious
4: deruitem
5: zenless
6: ryno2292
7: barsuk
8: jochums
9: Mystkm
10: Anonymousoul
11: NexlevMM
12: syngent
13: Doctor
14: 7 O Menthol
15: Prof. Moriarty

Ok, so the logic to the switch was the 7 O will be out of town, he graciously volunteered to ship it to the UK to the professor, and since Redstar was first to make a claim to participation, but also volunteered to ship to the UK, I thought it best to put him back up top.

I changed my mind...and I shouldn't have! If anyone has watched the weather lately, you know we have a tropical storm sitting over the Southeast that has literally been dropping rain by the feet. My neighborhood is flooded, and so is my pool. I've spent my entire night draining it and picking up tree branches, etc. out of my yard (not sure why, the storm isn't over yet!) BUT the fun part in that is I get to go for a dip in the pool, in the rain, when I'm done. My neighbors think I'm whack. Anyways, I went for a quick shave tonight and used an Astra SP again and some Arko. Oh Arko! The stuff is so polarizing and there is a reason for it. Who hasn't used it? Chime in.

Oh yeah, about the razor! If I learn nothing more this week, I will have learned this: I am still like a little kid when it comes to gadgets. I literally get enjoyment out of loading this blade.

Ok, back to the shave. I did my normal pre shave routine of shower, face scrub, conditioner on the beard...dried off all but my face and went directly to the face with the stick. Using my favorite brush, SOC boar, the Arko literally exploded. There must have been enough for 6 passes - too bad I was skipping my head. I performed my normal WTG first pass and it seemed okay. Rinsed. Re-lathered. XTG, still just okay. I didn't seem to be getting the same reduction I got the other day with my Bigelow/KMF combo...but the lather appeared and felt better. Smelt a helluva lot worse, but thats a whole-nother story! I decided to do another XTG and got out with no irritation...however, its just a SAS and I can't quite figure out why. I applied my Alum, WH and ASB and called it a night.

The good news is I'll probably need to shave again sooner than later. Today, I noticed my growth came back much faster than it typically does with my OC's. Up next will be the Feather as I'm anxious to see what a sharp blade will do in this little gadget! Arko out!

I've got some major stuble this morning...I find it weird. The only major difference from anything I normally do preshave/shave was I spent about 2 hours outside in the rain. Can you saturate your beard to a point of it being counterproductive? Maybe a strange question but I'm usually able to go at least 12 hrs. before I feel even a hint of it.

I want to take this opportunity to Thank Jay! This has been a really cool experience. I appreciate being a part of it.

I shaved with the Aristocrat again this evening loaded with a Feather. It was also the first time I've used a Scuttle! If you haven't done so, I strongly encourage you to seek one out by either purchase or PIF and give it a go...very cool. That's it on the scuttle.

Tonight I did a warm water shave with normal shower prep and Proraso PreShave & Bigelow/KMF combo. Talk about a Menthol wake up call...awesome! I did the normal WTG/XTG/XTG as I'm convinced at this point that the Aristocrat is a bit more mild than I'm accustomed to. Don't get me wrong, it's a great shave...but I now know when to call it quits (unlike being at a bar!). With the 3 pass on head & face it resulted in a DFS that feels nice & smooth. When I run ATG I can still feel some stubble on my neck as this is to be expected without going ATG. Personally, this is why a OC is for me. My hairs grow basically parallel to my skin and converge in my crease-line like a bottleneck in traffic. It's a bit more efficient in each pass = less passes = less irritation when achieving a BBS. No biggie...don't always need a BBS!

With the Feather loaded, there is no question it's a much better shave for my face than the Astra. Astra's are my benchmark blade. They perform well in everything. Feathers are the gauntlet. The shave went well but I do have a bit of irritation on my neck and I suspect that's from two things: 2 shaves closer in time than normal (usually go 36 hr's between, this was 24) AND the # of passes within that timeframe (with my OC's it's usually 2 and touchups, whereas this has been 3). 6 passes in 24 hours is a lot for my face, especially my neck.

All in all, I'm very happy with the experience. Jay, your Father is getting a great razor and you are very kind to have it re-plated for him. He will enjoy it for many years to come...as will each of you during it's stay in your hands! Before it goes, a pic is certainly on its way...

But for now, I'm setting the Aristocrat traveler back IN MOTION to Redstar!! Giddy Up

Nice! I love the write up! Glad that you liked it. I am more of an open comb guy too. But I did get a few great shaves with the aristocrat. It's nice if you have to shave after a brutal shave session with something else *cough* R41 *cough*.
But it takes a sharp blade well. I liked this more than my de89. More old school cool to it and a better shave for me.
Recently I've been rocking the fat boy on 9. Diggin that too, but looking forward to my next shave with the good ol 106 year old single ring.

My favorite open comb. I've tried a few variations. And I love it. Not super aggressive, but just enough for my skin/beard.

My favorite open comb. I've tried a few variations. And I love it. Not super aggressive, but just enough for my skin/beard.
At some point it will be my hunt for a cased vg (for a razor and case over 100 years) one to call my own, but im going to let my den settle a bit before doing that

All for a Single Ring pass around!?! EYE!

:thumbup:
what !!! you have one too ? :lol:

Last edited:
At some point it will be my hunt for a cased vg (for a razor and case over 100 years) one to call my own, but im going to let my den settle a bit before doing that

what !!! you have one too ? :lol:

No no NO my friend! I was volunteering Jay to volley up his :sneaky2:

The Aristocrat says Good Morning from Jacksonville Beach, Fl.

$_DSC0535.jpg

$_DSC0543.jpg

$_DSC0554.jpg

6.28.2012 @ 6:22 am

Last edited:
Top Bottom