What's new

AOS non-tallow formula? SAY IT AIN"T SO!

Tabac, Cella, DR Harris. It will be OK. P&G did just lose a customer, though. With the notable exception of RR products, I have never been that happy with a veggie soap. It's not worth $30 to me to try this out. I can buy 2 pucks of Harris or Tabac for that price, or nearly a brick of Cella.

I actually wonder if this may be one of the rare instances when a relatively small group of consumers can have an effect on a giant like P&G. This product line is a niche line, and unless they pull enough chrome-handled Fusion shavers into a faux wetshaving experience to make up the slack for the DE and straight shaver base they will likely lose, they do stand to lose a lot of their base with the AoS shift if the product is significantly degraded.

Normally, losing 30-40K consumers wouldn't even be a sneeze to P&G, but in this case, it may actually matter.

We'll see.

Tally: I mean this in the spirit of B&B brotherhood, but your instantaneous straight line defense of P&G always puzzles me. Fot the record, I am equally puzzled by the vitriol I see heaped on P&G by others around here. P&G is a huge corporation. One customer to them just doesn't matter. I feel the same towards them. If I like their product, I buy it. If not, I don't. I feel no brand loyalty to them, as I might to a small artisan type producer. I think P&G and I have a good relationship that way!:001_cool:
I don't see it so much as a defense so much as common sense... you can't really get a good feel for a soap after using it once, and you definitely don't know anything about it if you've never used it. All the tantrums people seem to be throwing over the reformulation when no one has even tried the new soap yet are silly to me as well.
It also seems silly to me that in all likelihood, if the soap had been reformulated to remove certain other ingredients, B&B would be collectively praising P&G, but since it's tallow that's being removed, we're all going nuts.
I know people, in general, are bad at dealing with changes, and maybe wetshavers more so when it comes to favorite products, but let's not keep jumping off a bridge every time a product is reformulated.
Unless we try it and it turns out to be ruined. THEN we can jump off a bridge.
Just my two cents, no offense meant by anything in this post.

Tally: I mean this in the spirit of B&B brotherhood, but your instantaneous straight line defense of P&G always puzzles me. Fot the record, I am equally puzzled by the vitriol I see heaped on P&G by others around here. P&G is a huge corporation. One customer to them just doesn't matter. I feel the same towards them. If I like their product, I buy it. If not, I don't. I feel no brand loyalty to them, as I might to a small artisan type producer. I think P&G and I have a good relationship that way!:001_cool:

I haven't defended P&G or AOS one time.* I am simply questioning people who are claiming that AOS is losing a customer or that the new soap is "crap" or this is a bad decision...when they have never used the new product. What if they made an already great soap even better? I just think people should actually use something before judging it...I know that is a novel idea around here.

* For the record I think the old soaps were awesome, I have not tried the new soaps but will and I think the creams are average. I think their hardware is horribly overpriced and I never shop in their stores...only online and only during sales because I think their regular prices are too high.

Last edited:
Tally,

I agree with you in principle, but for me it just isn't worth the money or hassle. P&G made a detached decision based on metrics developed by its own internal algorythm and based in Lean Six Sigma, etc I suspect. I respect that, it's their company.

In general, I just don't like vegie soaps as much as tallow soaps. RR is an exception, and I took that chance based on respect for how Joe runs his company. I don't have that kind of trust in P&G. I don't 'hate' them, I am, as I said, meh.

I'll use and enjoy my current sandalwood AOS soap, and then move on. I do like their creams, but I'll stand by for reviews if there is a similar reformulation. Who knows, the new AOS cream may be like the new Proraso - an actual improvement.....time will tell.

Now if they just get rid of the nasty clay scent I might buy it again. Tallow is meaningless to me but not to say it performs better for others. I just never understand the clay scent.

Now if they just get rid of the nasty clay scent I might buy it again. Tallow is meaningless to me but not to say it performs better for others. I just never understand the clay scent.

I think that the clay scent may actually be gone or at least diminished. As mentioned in my post earlier in this thread, I am going to buy a puck, later today hopefully, and post a formal review and comparison

I, for one, am not inclined to spend $30 to try a favorite soap that has been reformulated. So, when my last puck of AoS is gone, I will read the reviews on this newly formulated soap and then decide if I should risk the purchase.

IMO, if P&G were on the up and up, their packaging would state in bold and on the front, REFORMULATED AND NOW MADE IN THE USA, so us unsuspecting consumers would be informed that the soap had been changed. Their failure to do something along these lines leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I, for one, am not inclined to spend $30 to try a favorite soap that has been reformulated. So, when my last puck of AoS is gone, I will read the reviews on this newly formulated soap and then decide if I should risk the purchase.

IMO, if P&G were on the up and up, their packaging would state in bold and on the front, REFORMULATED AND NOW MADE IN THE USA, so us unsuspecting consumers would be informed that the soap had been changed. Their failure to do something along these lines leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
No manufacturer does they when they reformulate a product. That's an unreasonable expectation, IMO.

It does state that it is now made in the USA. Products undergo reformulations and packaging changes all the time. When you buy a box of cereal, it doesn't state "NEW SMALLER SIZE" on it.

The reality is we are a very picky bunch. I'll be the first to admit I am overly sensitive and anal about anything shaving related, but the reality, whether we want to admit it or not, is that manufacturers make their decisions for a number of reasons. Look at Floid Blue. Clearly a very popular product that was discontinued. Sure, maybe the traditional wetshaving community as a whole would agree that it is a poor decision, but they did so to focus on a new AS that is designed for a younger and broader audience. If it was up to us to decide, Penhaligon's would be making tallow 1st soap and sell it at cost. I would definitely prefer that this hadn't happened, but sometimes it helps to look at the big picture and another perspective.

i like the clay scent. i think it's a nice earthy and different smell than the rest of the market.

Last edited:
Just checked their website and here is the ingredients for the Lemon soap:

Sodium Tallowate, Aqua (Water), Potassium Palmitate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Palmitate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Cocoate, Potassium Cocoate, Fragrance, Glycerin, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Lecithin, Petrolatum, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil , Tocopheryl Acetate, Titanium Dioxide

This is exciting! I really don't like tallow nor want to support products that use tallow. I may actually go use that 20% off code for one of these!

Makes you wonder how long the new formula has been on the shelf, and if there are already members using it and not knowing it since they didn't check or keep the box.

I went to the AOS shop in Kansas City (on the plaza) to look for my sandalwood in tallow first. Unfortunately, they were out of old stuff in sandalwood but had plenty of the Unscented, Lemon, and Lavender. I picked up the old unscented and lemon and a new one of the sandalwood. With the 20% coupon I got each for their original price of 26 (remember when the refills were 26 and not 30). I've gotten close with the manager and she told me that she was on a conference call to discuss the change and corporate told them that it's the same and that the formula has not change. The reason it's different on the package is due to P&G trying to take this more worldwide and complying with standards.

I don't think she buys it (she did not say) nor do I but that's what she was told. You can't blame the employees there for telling us what they're being told to say.

$2013-01-25 14.38.04.jpg
$2013-01-25 14.38.17.jpg
$2013-01-25 14.39.04.jpg

I'm not going to try my new puck of AOS for a while so I apologize for not giving a review of the product despite me purchasing one. First thoughts though are that the sandalwood scent is still strong but the clay smell is gone. I don't know if the clay smell being gone is a result of the exclusion of tallow but I like it. As you can see, the soap itself has a different engraving. We'll see how it performs when I get to use it. I have too much stuff and if I realize that the soap is no longer as good, I won't be too upset since I have tons of good products on hand to use up.

Last edited:
Makes you wonder how long the new formula has been on the shelf, and if there are already members using it and not knowing it since they didn't check or keep the box.

Wouldnt that indicate its actually good if people have been using it and it felt close enough that they didn't even suspect a change?

I checked my purchase from last November, the soap was the old made in Italy version that I'm familiar with and the cream was made in the USA. I had never purchased the cream before.

If the clay smell is gone or lessened in the new formula, I would would certainly notice that. If the slickness or cushion has changed, I might think it was my water/product ratio that was diffferent.

Perhaps the new soap formula is better?

Last edited:
Could someone send me the email for the discount coupon? I'm going to the Seattle store to see if they have the old stuff and would like to get the discount.
Pm me for email address. Thanks

Top Bottom