What's new

AOS non-tallow formula? SAY IT AIN"T SO!

Purchased from the Bellevue Square store (near Seattle). I'm going back to the store Friday to ask about it. Will report back Friday night Seattle time. Also going to see if they can dig out some tallow based refill pucks

I was there last week. They have the guys working there with the beards and Mr. Imaginationland moustaches, lol. They pronounce TI as "Tiers Issaud" which I thought rather interesting.

strop

Now half as wise
Look on the bright side. Maybe Valobra will start makeing this soap under their own label!:thumbup:

Figured I could save all you area guys a trip to Tyson's Corner - the AOS Store there has all new stock.

Asked if they had any old packages in back and clerk proudly explained that it's still the same great stuff, just
"new packaging" per their corporate training. Don't know why companies can't just own up to it when they change stuff.
go figure.

The new formulation might lather well, might even provide a great shave. However, at $30 a puck for the refill (which is $8 MORE than the tallow version), it's definitely now in the league of "crazy-expensive" compared to D.R. Harris, etc. They can cut costs and remove something a lot of wetshavers like to see in their soaps (tallow), and charge more for it, but that doesn't mean it's the "equal" of the previous version. At the very least, even if they didn't change a thing and started charging $30 a puck, anyone would be justified to be questioning that decision. As it is, they are using (arguably) cheaper ingredients and charging more.

The new formulation might lather well, might even provide a great shave. However, at $30 a puck for the refill (which is $8 MORE than the tallow version), it's definitely now in the league of "crazy-expensive" compared to D.R. Harris, etc. They can cut costs and remove something a lot of wetshavers like to see in their soaps (tallow), and charge more for it, but that doesn't mean it's the "equal" of the previous version. At the very least, even if they didn't change a thing and started charging $30 a puck, anyone would be justified to be questioning that decision. As it is, they are using (arguably) cheaper ingredients and charging more.

The soap cost $30 before the reformulation

That sucks but the way I see it I don't fight the movement, they just lost a customer. It would hurt a lot more if there weren't so many great soaps out there.

BTW Baloosh, Dr. Harris puck refills are $15 on WCS right now, half of what AOS charges, so I wouldn't describe Harris as "crazy expensive".

That sucks but the way I see it I don't fight the movement, they just lost a customer. It would hurt a lot more if there weren't so many great soaps out there.

BTW Baloosh, Dr. Harris puck refills are $15 on WCS right now, half of what AOS charges, so I wouldn't describe Harris as "crazy expensive".

Have you tried the new soaps? What if they are even better? Are they still losing a customer? Why?

I mean, it is strnage that so many people are proclaiming this a travesty without even trying the damn product. I think the "one use" reviews around here can be pretty bad, but the zero use, never even tried the product commentary is just plain foolish.

Tabac, Cella, DR Harris. It will be OK. P&G did just lose a customer, though. With the notable exception of RR products, I have never been that happy with a veggie soap. It's not worth $30 to me to try this out. I can buy 2 pucks of Harris or Tabac for that price, or nearly a brick of Cella.

I actually wonder if this may be one of the rare instances when a relatively small group of consumers can have an effect on a giant like P&G. This product line is a niche line, and unless they pull enough chrome-handled Fusion shavers into a faux wetshaving experience to make up the slack for the DE and straight shaver base they will likely lose, they do stand to lose a lot of their base with the AoS shift if the product is significantly degraded.

Normally, losing 30-40K consumers wouldn't even be a sneeze to P&G, but in this case, it may actually matter.

We'll see.

Tally: I mean this in the spirit of B&B brotherhood, but your instantaneous straight line defense of P&G always puzzles me. Fot the record, I am equally puzzled by the vitriol I see heaped on P&G by others around here. P&G is a huge corporation. One customer to them just doesn't matter. I feel the same towards them. If I like their product, I buy it. If not, I don't. I feel no brand loyalty to them, as I might to a small artisan type producer. I think P&G and I have a good relationship that way!:001_cool:

Last edited:
Tabac, Cella, DR Harris. It will be OK. P&G did just lose a customer, though.

I actually wonder if this may be one of the rare instances when a relatively small group of consumers can have an effect on a giant like P&G. This product line is a niche line, and unless they pull enough chrome-handled Fusion shavers into a faux wetshaving experience to make up the slack for the DE and straight shaver base they will likely lose, they do stand to lose a lot of their base with the AoS shift if the product is significantly degraded.

Normally, losing 30-40K consumers wouldn't even be a sneeze to P&G, but in this case, it may actually matter.

We'll see.

Have you tried the new soap?

So I've used mine for 4 shaves, and while I haven't been shaving long enough to give a really good review, I will say that its not noticeably better or worse than a tube of the new green proraso to me

I will say, however, if P&G ever purchases Maurer and Wirtz, I will die a thousand deaths, because a veggie Tabac will be only a matter of time.....

Tally,

I added this a few minutes later, but here is my response to that:

With the notable exception of RR products, I have never been that happy with a veggie soap. It's not worth $30 to me to try this out. I can buy 2 pucks of Harris or Tabac for that price, or nearly a brick of Cella.

If it were a producer I felt some loyalty toward, I might give it a go. As I stated above, P&G and I feel the same way towards each other I suspect: In a word, meh.

Top Bottom